i30 Owners Club

1400Km on a tank achieved

Guest · 56 · 16067

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Hi Thumper.

Better have some diesel in a jerry can just in case (reckon the warning light will still come on when she approaches empty...)

I reckon you got a blueprinted motor by accident!

I have 10lt sitting in one of those Rheem plastic 10lt jobbies in the back, just in case.  8)

I'm wondering since I purchased a demo vehicle, one that probably has had the ring revved out of it from day one, it's running just right now?

Mine was run in with high RPM and full throttle take offs.  :lol:

You would never buy an ex-demo petrol/performance vehicle, perchance that is a good thing when it comes to diesels?  :mrgreen:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
You could be on to something there... My 1991 SSS Pulsar was a demo with 2500kms on the clock when I got it. It was a ripper and was one of the cars I traded that the dealership raved about as far as comparative performance went.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Thumper, I don't think that the trip computer is that wrong. Here me out. Your tank is showing half full. Its a 53 litre tank so lets say that there is 26.5 litres in the tank. That means you have used 26.5 litres of fuel. But, you and I , and many other on the site know that you can fit a lot more than 53 litres in the tank. I have managed to put up to 60 litres in the tank, and there was still some in reserve. I reckon thats its possible to squeeze 62 litres in the i30 tank. Using this logic, you have used an additional 9 litre on top of the 26.5, so in actuality, you have used 35.5 litres of diesel. So dividing 928 by 35.5 gives you 26.1 kilometres per litre. Divide 100 by 26.1, and guess what, you get 3.8LP/100k.  :biggrin:
So if you still have 26.5 litres in the tank, you should be good to go another 691klm. I think the 1500klm mark is in real danger :lol:

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT

DTE went from 50km left to flashing at 25936km and just under 1/4 of a tank.

Still no low fuel warning light, yet.

Only 1,273km traveled.

Peak hour city and hills are killing my economy.   :'(

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Yeah, it's all turned sour since I'm only doing City peak hour driving now, and going up a fair few hills.

Would love to have an open road for the entire tank.

Though, if I crack 1,400km, I think that is a bloody good effort, since I am driving in traffic, in the city, in peak hour and traveling up and down hills, with 20% more power and torque being produced. (All with the stock exhaust)

Interesting the DTE is WAY out.  :eek:

Offline camerooney

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      South Coast NSW

• NSW Australia
On Sunday I got caught at every traffic light coming through Canberra (and the roadworks too)
If this is what you drive in daily, I can see how it effects your economy...lol
 :rolleyes:

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
Can you guys pls write an article on it for the front page, noting your economy tips, and any modifications? It might be easier than following a huge thread, and would be of tremendous help to the rest of us :) That'd be great!

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Good idea Oz,
I am not going to start it now, I'm going to bed :)
But someone more qualified might start a thread specifically on tips to improve economy, Bob, Thumper, this is your speciality.

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
I'll help write something, later. Right now I need some sleep since I have a 6am start, all day at work, then a 400km drive down to the coast.

Debating if I should cut my losses and fill up, working out the economy, or take some fuel, since no one will be open by the time I drive through. (I'm sure there is no 24hr diesel South of Cooma)

Will work it out tomorrow.

Oh, yeah, will help write something on the weekend, whilst relaxing on the beach.  :D

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
If you're heading down into Vic, I think Cann River might be open 24/7, it's a Mobil but seeing as it's out the back of whoop whoop expect to pay a decent amount...........

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

If you're heading down into Vic, I think Cann River might be open 24/7, it's a Mobil but seeing as it's out the back of whoop whoop expect to pay a decent amount...........
It's ok, he only need's 2 litres to get him from that stop to ... Hobart?

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Har har har!  :lol:

Heading down to Mallacoota, so yes, hopefully I'll make it to Cann River (The truck stop there is 24hr)

Just hope I make it between Cooma and Cann River without running out. (10lt in the jerry should be enough)  :mrgreen:

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Right, I chickened out at 1450.1km DTE had been flashing for 268km, fuel gauge was way under E with the low fuel light on.

I filled up in Canberra, Diesel was $1.399 (Had a 8c/lt off docket so worked out to be $1.319/lt)

I used 58.78lt for 1450.1km

3.9lt/100km indicated

4.0lt/100km actual.

I could have gone further!  :lol:

Oh well, welcome to the 1400km club!  :cool:

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Close..but no cigar :lol:
No, well done Thumper, thats the new club record.
I reckon if you could only get 58.8 litres in the tank at refill, there may have been another 2-3 litres of diesel still at your disposal. Could have been very close if you had pushed on. I would chickened  too mind you :lol:

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Close..but no cigar :lol:
No, well done Thumper, thats the new club record.
I reckon if you could only get 58.8 litres in the tank at refill, there may have been another 2-3 litres of diesel still at your disposal. Could have been very close if you had pushed on. I would chickened  too mind you :lol:
I woulda driven it dry, and used the jerry can. 300kms in a 10L bottle... Who wants to play chicken with me?

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
I actually packed the jerry under everything, since the car was full with all our gear, heading off to the coast.

Funny enough, after I filled up, driving through Canberra, had a steel grey i30 wanting to have a run from the lights. I just played with them, several times, overtaking them once on boost.  :lol:

Having an extra 300kg's of gear and two people up, still had some 'fun'  :D

Anyone else here with a steel grey i30, debadged in Canberra?

Next run long distance WITHOUT peak hour traffic, I believe I can crack 1,500km.

Just need others now to hit 1,400km  :razz:

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
I actually packed the jerry under everything, since the car was full with all our gear, heading off to the coast.

Funny enough, after I filled up, driving through Canberra, had a steel grey i30 wanting to have a run from the lights. I just played with them, several times, overtaking them once on boost.  :lol:

Next run long distance WITHOUT peak hour traffic, I believe I can crack 1,500km.

Well I guess you could try and start another 1500 attempt when starting the Blue mountains, trip, should use about half a tank all up for you.

For me I'm onto my 3rd tank ever for my car, if the DTE is right and I run the tank bone dry I'd be able to crack the 1000km mark, but I'm not going to risk it. Seeing as my 1st (dealer supplied) and 2nd tank both got just over 750km mark and I'm already close to 850km on the 3rd I'm pretty happy.

Nothing compared to what your doing thumper, but still an exciting time for me.

I can't give a spilt between highway and city driving, but each tank has involved a drive from Newcastle to BM and/or return.

Regards

Daniel

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

Wasn't me Thumper although its the sort of thing I would do :lol:

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Heh! I know it wasn't yours, had stockies on it.  :lol:

That, and the person driving was at least twice your size!  :eek:

ouri30
Right, I chickened out at 1450.1km DTE had been flashing for 268km, fuel gauge was way under E with the low fuel light on.

I filled up in Canberra, Diesel was $1.399 (Had a 8c/lt off docket so worked out to be $1.319/lt)

I used 58.78lt for 1450.1km

3.9lt/100km indicated

4.0lt/100km actual.

I could have gone further!  :lol:

Oh well, welcome to the 1400km club!  :cool:

Thumper,

I've been off line for a few days.  Congratulations on the 1450.1km.  That is some achievement.

Could you outline the mods you were using at the time?  I suspect you had your little tuning gadget fitted and also, what exhaust were you using?

Most members should remember to compare apples with apples and not be too concerned if they don't achieve what you have achieved or I have achieved.  Also, to achieve what I have is not an easy task because most of the members live and drive in completely different circumstances to me.  I have done in excess of 41 000km so I can not say I will get better fuel economy when the motor is run in.

I have found that when I drive at or near speed limits on the open road and do some driving in buit up areas with a passenger load, 4.5 to 4.6 is a more realistic fuel economy figure for me.  Drive ecoomically, and I can get around 4.0 - 4.1.  On a long trip with passengers and a full luggage load, I get between 4.9 and 5.0.

Now you seem to be getting well in excess of what i get and also what others get.  You either have an exceptional car (one out of the box that comes along from time to time) or your mods are assisting economy.  What do you think?

I'll still claim the highest (1402.2km) for a stock standard i30 CRDi with no mods (unless you had no mods fitted) plus the first to get to the 1400km without or with mods.

Bob

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Heh! I know it wasn't yours, had stockies on it.  :lol:

That, and the person driving was at least twice your size!  :eek:

Twice my age, he was an old bugger than :lol:
And trying to burn you off at the lights. Honestly, old people these days :lol:

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Rubix hands ET a pair of reading glasses.

Try again bucko! :lol:

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Twice your size not age.  :lol:

ouri30, only mod is the tuningbox with the wrong settings. (I misread the instructions and set maximum power AND torque. Not the lower settings for economy)

No other mods, stock exhaust, stock wheels, normal diesel (Not using Caltex Vortex diesel)

Using a ScangaugeII to keep an eye on LPH, boost, intercooler air temp and engine load.

Even driving through Sydney city twice, during peak hour. (M5 carpark 1st gear stop/start all the way from the toll gates to the other side of the airport) Canberra peak hour for the entire week, and driving up and down hills to the Canberra i30 meet.

I will perform an economy drive without the tuning box soon, with no other mods except for the ScangaugeII so I can keep an eye on things.

Yes, you were the first to crack 1,400km. Congrats.  :D

Now lets see if 1,500km can be done.  :razz:

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Rubix hands ET a pair of reading glasses.

Try again bucko! :lol:

Yeah OK...Egg on my face. :-[
I should learn to read. :lol:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal