i30 Owners Club

Wheel alignment specs for 2011 FDe i30 CRDi

Offline jfdelacruz

• 3rd Gear

• ph Philippines
      Paranaque City, Manilla
Hi,

I hit a fairly large bump today and the car now veers to the left with the steering slightly angle to the right by about 1-2* off center.

I was going to take it to my favorite dealer (yes they take good care of me, i think) but they are renovating and their wheel alignment machine is not mounted. So i thought i'll take it to one of the very reputable bridgestone tire center's here.

Am i correct in that an alignment by the dealer and the high-tech bridgestone center would be the same for as long as i have the right alignment specs?

If anyone would be so kind, please provide me alignment specs. It's driving me crazy that my 8.5tkm almost 1 year old car drifts to the left. Makes me feel bad about taking her out for a drive today.

-Jared
  • 2011 FDe i30 1.6 CRDi 6M/T

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
If he doesn't spot it suggest you PM Surferdude for that info (He's the man)  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline jfdelacruz

• 3rd Gear

• ph Philippines
      Paranaque City, Manilla
I actually did a search way before i even posted. I saw all the posts about the MY08/09 wheel alignment specs from Hyundai Australia. Well, since I found the Hyundai GSW website, I went on and bought myself an hour's worth of research. I came with the same information as the one I found here, which is:

Toe-in: F:0* +- 0.2*  R:0.1* +- 0.2*
Camber: F:-0.6* +- 0.5* R: 0.05*+- 0.1*
Caster: 4.43* +- 0.5*
King-pin: 13.65* +- 0.5*

BUT!!!!!!!!

I read something about a steering angle sensor thing. What's that all about? Does it really have to be reset? Would you advise me to go look for another Hyundai dealer to have the alignment instead of just bringing the alignment specs to the Bridgestone alignment shop?

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi Jared.

Two things comes to mind.

- If the tyrecenter don't have the spec's for your car, than they're certainly not up-to-date. If that's the case, don't go there. It's not your job as the costumer to provide them with the spec's.

- Why not call your local Hyundai dealer and ask for their price..? They will most likely also know about the steering angle sensor.  :lol:

Hope you get it sorted, whatever your choice.  :razz:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Hi Jared,
The first thing to do is get your alignment re-adjusted. If the steering wheel is then still off centre when the car is driving straight, then the steering angle sensor will need to be re-set.
The best alignment shops should already have the special electronic tool to do this now. They are being hawked around the place in Oz but are very expensive - not much less than a workshop grade scan guage.
In fact, don't quote me on this as I'm not totally up to date on it but I think you can actually buy an upgrade for existing scan guages to do the job.

In any case, make sure someone competent checks over your car's suspension for any bent bits.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline jfdelacruz

• 3rd Gear

• ph Philippines
      Paranaque City, Manilla
Good point guys. The thing with the i30 in the Philippines is that it's so rare (i've only ever seen 5 other cars). And there are only 3 recommended Hyundai service centers - 1 of which is my preferred one (who's renovating) - and they're far away from me.

So alright, I'll just take it to my 2nd preferred Hyundai service center. Anything special I need to look out for on the wheel alignment print out?

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Good point guys. The thing with the i30 in the Philippines is that it's so rare (i've only ever seen 5 other cars). And there are only 3 recommended Hyundai service centers - 1 of which is my preferred one (who's renovating) - and they're far away from me.

So alright, I'll just take it to my 2nd preferred Hyundai service center. Anything special I need to look out for on the wheel alignment print out?
Just ask for the printout to be explained to you and compared before and after.
Apart from being within specs (which IIRC you have), there should be minimal difference between one side and the other.
And ask them to confirm they've checked for bent components.

Pip
I had a wheel alignment done as part of a rack replacement. It was warranty work but the dealer subbed out the alignment. Seemed to drive straight but steering wheel not centred. Took it back and I suspect they just adjusted toe, one in and the other out to fix. Fair enough but the steering angle sensor was now apparently needing recalibration. ESP and EPS lights intermittently lit and steering power also intermittent. A real mess to drive, yes it was returned to me on each occasion. Finally sorted at dealer's "other" workshop.

Moral is: even dealers can stuff it up and I hate to imagine where I would have been if I'd done the alignment independently.

P.S., I have looked very carefully at the tyre wear and am happy that it's all good. About 60% down at 55km, no feathering and very even.:goodjob2:

Offline jfdelacruz

• 3rd Gear

• ph Philippines
      Paranaque City, Manilla
Can anyone give me details about the Steering Angle Sensor and how it can be seen, etc... I like having the information on hand so that if the dealer I go to does not have the details, then I can provide it to them and if they so allow, I'll have a look-see myself while the work is being done.

The eye of the owner is more scrutinizing than the manager, as I say.

Offline jfdelacruz

• 3rd Gear

• ph Philippines
      Paranaque City, Manilla
By the way, i read on the global service way that there is an ABSOLUTE STEERING POSITION Calibration proceedure. I cant find it on that site. Anyone have amy info on this?

Pip
It's been suggested that turning from lock to lock can recalibrate the steering position sensor. I dunno but software might be written to accept that so long as the physical position is within some limit.

Honestly have no idea!

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
It's been suggested that turning from lock to lock can recalibrate the steering position sensor. I dunno but software might be written to accept that so long as the physical position is within some limit.

Honestly have no idea!

According to surferdude, an expensive tool is required, so I doubt turning the wheel lock to lock will suffice.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi

Disconnect battery, then reconnect. Turn igntion on - you get a warning light. Turn full lock left and full lock right, then switch off and back on again. This does some steering sensor calibration, doubt it resets absoloute position of straight ahead though, free to try though. (reprogramme radio settings too)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Honestly have no idea!

Disconnect battery, then reconnect. Turn igntion on - you get a warning light. Turn full lock left and full lock right, then switch off and back on again. This does some steering sensor calibration, doubt it resets absoloute position of straight ahead though, free to try though. (reprogramme radio settings too)

As Lorian says, this method appears to work in minor circumstances. I didn't mention it here due to the fact that the car in question had hit a pothole.
But I did do it once myself due to the fact that my steering wheel was maybe half a spline off centre. It worked. But I had already checked the alignment.
Incidentally, this method is generlly "debunked" by the "experts".

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Actually, just re-read Lorian's post. My method was slightly different. Didn't disconnect the battery. Used a flat piece of road, centered wheel, turned full lock each way, drove forward about 20 meters and repeated the process.
Found it on the web somewhere and, as I said, it worked.

Offline jfdelacruz

• 3rd Gear

• ph Philippines
      Paranaque City, Manilla
Surferdude, I take it that if I get the i30 aligned at bridgestone, it would possibly correct the alignment issue BUT run the risk of requiring a steering angle position calibration?

I called up the new Bridgestone shop here and they have a new hunter machine which has alignment specs for the i30. It's nearer to me compared to the next preferred dealer...

I don't really want to travel 2 hours just for an alignment at the dealer as Bridgestone is 10 minutes away from me.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Surferdude, I take it that if I get the i30 aligned at bridgestone, it would possibly correct the alignment issue BUT run the risk of requiring a steering angle position calibration?

I called up the new Bridgestone shop here and they have a new hunter machine which has alignment specs for the i30. It's nearer to me compared to the next preferred dealer...

I don't really want to travel 2 hours just for an alignment at the dealer as Bridgestone is 10 minutes away from me.
I would definitely go with the Bridgestone dealer first.
If Hyundai ever says anything about it you can point out that your local was out of action and the next nearest was 2 hours away and didn't want to risk the drive after hitting the pothole, until it was looked at.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
I've just had new tyres fitted the other day,because my original tyres where badly cut out on the inner edges,never hit any big bumps,am always careful going over speed bumps,not run up any gutters,I went to bridgestone for my wheel alignment,they give you the before and after stats,to say I was horrified is an understatement,I spoke to the alligner and my tyrefitter/supplier(as I did not get my tyres from Bridgestone)my tyre supplier is almost  half the price of any tyre suppliers in Perth,now remember the car  is not even twelve months old,never run over anything which would adversly affect the alignment,but it has travelled 39.000 Klms,both the aligner and my tyre bloke,look at the factory settings and just shook their heads,the settings where even anywhere near hyudai's alignment settings,so much for pre-delivery,so now I'm going to be asking my dealer why the alignment was so far out,even after such a short time,LH wheel was set tp 3mm toe out,RH wheel was at 2.4 toe in now wonder the tyres where cutting out,it's a wonder it was steering as straight as it was,anyhow enough of my bitching,I know this hasn't helped you with you question,Oh! and Hyudai here wanted $95 for an Alignment,Bridgstone only charged me $49 and yes they had all the equipment to do the job.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Rick.....who was your bridgestone dealer...might need him soon.....?

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Just reading over this, my first i30 had almost 100,000k tyres lasted about 50,000? never had a wheel alinement, was about three years old when i sold, second i30 just over one year old 27,000k never wheel alined the tyres look to be wearing ok. i try to rotate @ 5,000 to 6,000. with fixed rear i've managed to get 110,000k i did 220,000 on the ute i had b4 i went Hy and only got one set of tyres never had a wheel alinement. but if it looked like a tyre was wearing fast and car steered ubpredictable or vibrated i would have it checked. i think rotating tyres & keeping tyre pressure at high enough inflation helps tyre's last longer.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hey S.S

After that alignment you'll propably get better fuel economy as well...  :mrgreen:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Neptune if your in WA I used kewdale,we have all the trucks done there
as well
Asterix,be great if I did, but not. Sure the way I drive some days.
Lakes,yes I have kept our old Commodore,we' e had that since New,23years,It's done over 7000,000k's had an alignment done once after deciding driving through the bush asleep was better than staying on the road,only other time it needed alignment is when we dropped it 3 inches,tyres on that usually do 50 to 60 thousand k's
Rick
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Thanks Rick...I assume that is the one on Abernethy Rd?....

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Yeah corner of Abernathy and Kewdale

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Neptune if your in WA I used kewdale,we have all the trucks done there
as well
Asterix,be great if I did, but not. Sure the way I drive some days.
Lakes,yes I have kept our old Commodore,we' e had that since New,23years,It's done over 7000,000k's had an alignment done once after deciding driving through the bush asleep was better than staying on the road,only other time it needed alignment is when we dropped it 3 inches,tyres on that usually do 50 to 60 thousand k's
Rick

Seven million kms is a lot of kms  :whistler:
I had my i30 serviced today (135,000 kms) and again, the issue of tyre wear came up.
Regular readers will know I got 68,000 kms out of my first set of Kumhos.
I have now down 67,000 kms on the second set (Kumhos) and there is heaps of tread left on the tyres, but all tyres, front and rear have chopped out on the insides.
They have been rotated front to back during their life as they started to wear the insides on the front quite early in their life.
There is definitely a problem here and it looks like I'm now up for another set of four very shortly due to this abnormal wear and not because of overall tread depth.
I'm not too happy about forking out for another full set and putting them on to a car knowing they are going to chop out again as the only people benefitting here are the tyre centres.
This current set would have had many thousands of kms left in them other than for that.  :fum:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
db08,sorry that wasa typo on my behalf(was doing it on my phone and didn't notice the typo),it was meant to read 700,000 K's,only about 35,000 K's a year,I do way way more than that now.
 as for your tyre wear problem,all the research I have been doing and all the people I know with I30's, about 15,all have had the self same problem,what I have found out to date,if your in WA and your having your wheels aligned by a hyundai dealer,it is being set up wrong,out of the fifteen people I know with the cars eight have gone elsewhere to have the alignments done,problem solved(apparently)the other seven who have been hood winked by Hyundai,that they will loose their remaining warranty,are still cutting their tyres out.
  as for the milage your getting,I wouldn't be bitching about 67 or 68 thousand K's,I just replaced mine,same problem(cutting out badly on the inner edges)same managment regime,rotate front to back every 5000 K's,only got 39.000,believe me they were shagged,I'll have to let you know how this set go's,the first set where Hankooks,these are stilletto sports(made by Goodyear),I can say,that I have noticed the difference after the wheel alignment,no very minor pull to the left and seems to handle far better.
Rick

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Thanks Rick, I knew it was a typo. I was just kidding.  :D
I get my alignments done by a dedicated tyre place, not by Hyundai.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Rick.. I got around 55K out of my first set on our previous CRDi with no sign of uneven wear  :confused: and you beat me to the punch with Dave and his 68K per set  :whistler:

Now for a more important topic... You know 15 people with i30's (that aren't members?)  :whistler:

Me thinks you have some work to do... :winker: :snigger:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Dazz
In our little town there are almost as many I30's as people extremely popular out here,the most popular vehicle before that was the excel,still a lot of them running around here to,mind you a lot of the I30 owners up here have hard time using a ATM let alone a computer or smartphone,hey my smartphone is even smarter than me (which I'm trying to use now)explains the typo's so often.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yeah they are really popular in WA, infact, I seem to remember them being the biggest selling car in WA last year ... :goodjob:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal