i30 Owners Club

i30 – Why it is the right car for me!

adj50 · 11 · 13733

Offline adj50

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• 2011 SX 1.6 gasoline, 4sp-auto, Melbourne, OZ
My i30 (FD, built Nov12) 1.6 gasoline 4 speed auto is 6 months old now with 5,000ks, 95% in city/suburbs. The romance is over, and the car and I have settled into a normal daily routine. I have spent many long hours reading and learning about i30s on this website, and am very grateful for the contributions of those who have gone before. So I thought perhaps I should now review my i30 decision and post my conclusions here for whoever may be interested.

Personal status.
I have just recently retired - am living in the suburbs of Melbourne, Australia - just the wife and I now (kids departed) - so am downsizing our regular vehicle from a 4 litre, 6 cylinder family car to a smaller vehicle which will be used 90% within the city on short trips to shopping centres, fitness centre, the beach, etc.

Car History.
I have owned 23 different cars (8 new, 15 used) while living/working in New Zealand, USA, UK, Germany, Australia. And have also driven a greater number of rental/company cars. My first two cars were heavily modified (for hill climb events) – then got married and priorities got adjusted.

Which car? The contenders.
I am now retired, so I have time, and I turned the car purchase into a fun hobby project. I spent a year reviewing manufacturer's specs, journalist's tests, and owner’s forums on the internet. I test drove, several times, all the small and light/compact class cars (Ford, GM, VW, Toyota, Honda, Mazda, and Hyundai/Kia). Melbourne has 6+ dealers for each of those major brands – I got to know them all.

The must haves.
Petrol, auto transmission, 4 door/hatch, reasonable economics (fuel, servicing, insurance, registration/road tax). I plan to keep this car forever (10-15 years), so current model style/appearance was of low importance. Reliability and economy is the key.

Petrol versus Diesel.
I have experience with diesels, and am a fan of their torque and fuel economy. But this time my driving profile will be low mileage (12,000k pa) with many short trips (1, 2 and 5ks) which, in Australia, results in a clear negative value proposition (fuel, servicing, and depreciation) for the diesel. And on the internet, the diesel owner's forums also testify internationally to the number of frustrated city drivers with frequently clogging/regenerating DPFs caused by those short trips. And while Hyundai currently does not fit DPFs to Australian i30’s, I still could not, for my conditions, justify the substantial extra $ involved in owning a diesel. Note diesel in OZ is currently 10-20 cents higher than RON91 petrol/gasoline.
So this time it will be petrol, and an Australian specific issue here is the RON rating of the engine. In OZ petrol is either RON 91, 95 or 98. RON91 is the most widely available, and, unlike Europe where authorities have forced it out of the market with emissions restrictions, it is expected to continue to be widely available here in the longer term. There is a price difference 15-20cents per litre for RON91 and 95. A European RON95 petrol engine (e.g. VW Polo or Golf) will not provide fuel savings to compensate for that $ difference. So I am consciously favouring a motor configured for RON91 and proven over the last 10 years and hoping it will serve me reliably and economically over the next 10-15 years.

No new gadgets to break down.
Having owned my share of old/used cars, I am very conscious of the way all mechanical/electrical components in a car progressively wear/ deteriorate and eventually fail. So this time, no fully-loaded top-of-the-range car for me! Just the opposite – bottom of the range, and please remove any other non essential gadget that’s just waiting to break and force me back into the service workshop.
And, in particular, no turbo/super chargers or dual clutch transmissions. The internet owner forums are flooded with warnings that no one should ever buy a car with this gear, without being aware of the risks i.e. get replacement quotes (parts and labour) and allocate appropriate $ to a contingency account if you really want to drive the latest technology beyond its warranty period. Otherwise the bitterness from turbo or clutch disintegration could really sour the driving experience.

Other Opinions.
During my time in Germany I learnt the language, and even today I regularly check the web site of ADAC.DE which is the German national automobile club. Those guys do very detailed reviews of most new cars and publish their standard structured 12 page test results on their website. Their precision is legendary e.g. turning circle has two numbers – turning left and turning right.
Well, a couple of years ago an ADAC test of the Hyundai i30 reported a significantly changed appreciation of the vehicle’s quality and performance, and clear words of warning for European manufacturers. So for the first time in my life, I added a Korean car company to my list of contenders.

The winner was....
Cold hard numbers had the 2011 FD i30 1.6 4speed auto looking like a non emotional winner on points. The mature model, proven basic technology, 5 year warranty, etc. were winning arguments. And then the new 2012 GD model was announced. Heavy run-out discounting of the old FD model commenced and I was offered a deal (for the older model) that I couldn’t refuse. My year long hobby project (testing cars) was over.

6 Months with my new i30.
Smooth motoring, no problems, performing in line with expectations. Except for fuel consumption! I had calculated that I would get around 8LHK. Over the last few winter months consumption rose to almost 10LHK. I was very disappointed and set about researching just why?  I learnt a lot about how short trips dramatically effect fuel consumption, and subsequently posted a thread on this subject.

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=16484.0

In summary, I now appreciate that this was not an i30 issue – any car driven on so many short trips will significantly exceed its government rated urban consumption.

Doubts.
I had been as methodical and rational as possible – but for many people, a car also involves a significant emotional component. And I occasionally found myself day dreaming about great features of some of the other vehicles I had test driven. Memories of a strong diesel torque push, short throw 6 speed manual transmissions, etc. were still with me. I realised that I had bought my i30 with my head, but not my heart.
So last week I went back and test drove those vehicles all over again. Interestingly, nearly all the personal at those dealers had changed since the earlier drives, and I was not recognised. So I drove them all around my private test track which consists of 24ks of city suburbs, hilly, twisty, shopping centre car parks, speed bumps, and a 5k section of freeway.
And now it’s over – I am sitting here with a big grin on my face. Those other cars did have some great features, but they also had some very disappointing characteristics that I had forgotten about. As a wrap up I took my i30 around my test track, and yes, it again was clearly the best overall performer. I now know that, should I again get that restless feeling, then the cure is to re-visit the other options. I used to think the same when I was 20, but I can’t recall whether that was about cars?
Now I cannot share this with my wife – she thinks I have a strange unhealthy relationship with cars. So I am using this website to get this off my chest, and hope that no one feels offended by a pensioner letting out his concerns about whether he bought the “right, last car”.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 02:06:07 by adj50 »

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo

Brilliant missive... you should talk to fellow member AlanHo!

He is almost as thorough with a similarly intense need to examine and justify everything!

Oh and welcome here!

I too am delighted by my decision to buy my 1.6 petrol 5 door i30 Premium 2 years ago now. It is stacked full of wiz gadgets that perform faultlessly... the car is now almost 5 years old. It was a used model with just 6.5k miles on the odometer with 2 Hyundai Dealer services! I love the car to bits.... 34k miles on the car now & it does everything just as well as the day I bought it returning >42Mpg over mixed A & B roads here in the UK, with a smattering of Motorway use thrown in. That is all!  :goodjob2:
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Great post adj.

Well written and obviously well researched.

There's a lot of happy owners on here.

Like you and ffoxy, I am too.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Wow... That post was so good it bought tears to my eyes.. (one of the Best posts ever on this forum) Thanks heaps  :happydance:

Makes me realise there are probably lots of members on here with interesting lives and histories that do lots of reading but very little posting ...

With such a gift for communication and an interesting life under your belt I hope you will be making more posts like that one about cars and other things (like your travel experiences)  :goodjob: :D

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Yep. Great presentation. Deserves to be portalised :D

EDIT: It already has been :goodjob:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
 :baps: post.
Great research and presentation.  :goodjob2: (I feel like a teacher. No, hang on, I'll have a glass of red instead  ;)).
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Very interesting post, really enjoyed reading it.

:goodjob: :goodjob:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Well laid out and a structure reasoning for and against.

:goodjob2:
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Well laid out and a structure reasoning for and against.

:goodjob2:

Perhaps he is a retired Judge  :mrgreen:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline jsc2012

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Manchester
I actually feel guily for putting in crappy posts after reading that. I was unaware that Petrol could get down to 91RON, here in UK the standard 95 is really giving way to the jazzy 98RON. Stilll, I'll stay with my 2009 2.0 oil burner, even if it does sound like a transit van at statrtup.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

This is my best MPG adj50...  I did once foolishly brag about 44 to the gallon.  Alan gave me pause for thought and after several months I had to come clean and admit that this was only achieved after a reset probably on motion when it takes the computer a while to  pull itself together.   This is an average of several weeks driving WITHOUT resetting the trip button...

Oh and by the way, welcome aboard.  Sorry for my tardy greeting I am an old git so it takes me a while to get round to things  :blubber:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal