i30 Owners Club

Help required with WIFI OBD11...

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
I bought this OBD11 device Mini ELM327 V1.5 Bluetooth Wireless OBD-II OBD2 Auto Car Diagnostic Scan Tool.

I expected it to be really simple to set up and initially it appeared to be thus.  However things went south when I tried to use it. 

I did the Bluetooth set up and paired (thought I had) with the access code 1234, my Samsung Galaxy note said device paired but when I started Torque Pro on my phone it said device NOT paired.  I have pondered this for a week or three now and my feeble little brain wont solve it for me.

So.....  HELP  pleeeeze if I have missed a trick please feel free to bash it into my thick skull.

There is no panic obviously, I mean, I don't really need it but since I have bought it then it would be nice to use it

:needhelp:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I reckon Shambles might come to the rescue with this Asa (as usual) pretty sure he has one...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Yep. What's not mentioned is that the bluetooth ELM unit has to be powered up (ie, plugged into the car and the engine running) BEFORE you start Torque Pro on your phone.

Give that a whirl. Foxed me too for a while...
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece
      Body lives in Athens, heart in Thessaloniki

• ...em ot keerG lla s'ti
Problem solved already... Daz and Shambles must be using this thing to connect themselves with the forum :lol:
Does this thing works with a program other than Torque Pro? A program for Nokia perhaps??
  • 1.4 HB Classic '09 White

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Yep. What's not mentioned is that the bluetooth ELM unit has to be powered up (ie, plugged into the car and the engine running) BEFORE you start Torque Pro on your phone.

Give that a whirl. Foxed me too for a while...

Thanks Steve...  it's gone dark now (bogie men'll be out)so I am not venturing out.  I shall do it right tomorrow and report back  :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

it's gone dark now (bogie men'll be out)

:rofl: :rofl: (I stopped being scared of bogie men when I hit middle age)  :snigger:

Although, TBH I sometimes think I see one in the mirror if i don't shave for a couple of days  :whistler:

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
  it's gone dark now (bogie men'll be out)

:rofl: :rofl: (I stopped being scared of bogie men when I hit middle age)  :snigger:

Although, TBH I sometimes think I see one in the mirror if i don't shave for a couple of days  :whistler:

Yeah but ya don't live near Cheetham Hill Dazz <nuff said>  :Shocked:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I could still get attacked by a gang of field mice  :whistler: :evil:

Offline alc2

• 2nd Gear

• ro Romania
      Bucharest
I  use  a  ELM 327 BT V 1.4(  Chinese  version with  red_label ). I installed Scan MasterELM and PCM Scan, both full version for Win 7 ( they have more parameters compared to the  free versions ). I  still can't connect with ELM 327 BT at  laptop  (but with Torque it's OK). It seems that the BT interface that works only on Android ?

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
...I shall do it right tomorrow and report back  :goodjob: :goodjob:

Did you ever get yours to connect using the "turn app on last" method, Asa?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

Nah I followed your advice faithfully and nowt.....   It's sat here as a desk ornament.    I gave up pretty quick I have to say.  Bending down on me knees nowadays to fiddle about in dark places is a thing of the past for me really   :evil:   but thanks for asking  :goodjob:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Bending down on me knees nowadays to fiddle about in dark places is a thing of the past for me

:exclaim:
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia

Nah I followed your advice faithfully and nowt.....   It's sat here as a desk ornament.    I gave up pretty quick I have to say.  Bending down on me knees nowadays to fiddle about in dark places is a thing of the past for me really   :evil:   but thanks for asking  :goodjob:

Asa, we leave ours plugged in and on all the time. Haven't been on my knees since.  :mrgreen:

Still can't find a decent "free" PC app for it though. :fum:
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 22:04:58 by 847563 »
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline vatazhka

• 1st Gear

• pl Poland
Hi,

I would like to share my comments and experience with regard to using OBD-II interface.  The following screenshot shows all commmands which are available to the current versions of Torque on my i30 CW:

I bought this OBD11 device Mini ELM327 V1.5 Bluetooth Wireless OBD-II OBD2 Auto Car Diagnostic Scan Tool.
The thread title states incorrecly that your interface connects via WiFi - it actually seems to use Bluetooth.  I mention this because there are also interfaces which connect via WiFi (This is apparently the only method which works for iOS devices.  However, I don't own one, so don't take it for granted.).
Further to that, there has never been ELM327 v1.5 - please consult the chip manufacturer's website.  You can verify whether it actually is v1.4b or a cheaper v1.3a by trying to issue a few commands which only appeared in 1.4b version.  You can send commands to ELM327 by connecting to the serial port exposed via Bluetooth using a terminal application (Remember modems and AT commands?  ELM327 works exacly the same.).

I  use  a  ELM 327 BT V 1.4(  Chinese  version with  red_label ). I installed Scan MasterELM and PCM Scan, both full version for Win 7 ( they have more parameters compared to the  free versions ). I  still can't connect with ELM 327 BT at  laptop  (but with Torque it's OK). It seems that the BT interface that works only on Android ?
This interface uses a fairly standard serial over Bluetooth profile, which is also used e.g. by external GPS Bluetooth receivers.  There should be no problem to use it with most devices equipped with Bluetooth interface - obviously, there must be an app for that!  Windows apps are usually not connecting to the interface due to Windows' COM mapping nonsense, I suggest to try another USB port for your Bluetooth adapter (if you are using one) and/or reinstall drivers in order to have it on a required COM port (Please consult your app's documentation.).

Asa, we leave ours plugged in and on all the time. Haven't been on my knees since.  :mrgreen:
This way it constantly draws current from your battery (Well, the chip has "sleep mode", but it has to be activated by the software.), so in cold weather (I think of Polish winters...) it may kill your battery overnight and you won't be able to start the engine next morning.  I heard also that these toys can be damaged in case the 12 V voltage is poorly regulated (Such as there is overvoltage during engine start.).  It seems that early versions of the i30 killed lightbulbs because of poor electrical design, so I wouldn't be taking chances with OBD interface.

Bending down on me knees nowadays to fiddle about in dark places is a thing of the past for me
I bought a cheap clone based on ELM327 1.4b which is quite compact and is equipped with a protruding on/off switch - it's easy to locate it and turn it on/off without bending down or even looking at it.  It looks very similar to this one and the other one, I bought it in Poland for ~15 GBP.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 22:43:19 by vatazhka »
  • i30 CW 2011 (1.6 L I4 Gamma / 6-speed manual)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Welcome vatazhka,

you have been a busy person haven't you  :exclaim:

Thanks for the tips, I still can't find some good free software to use on my PC though, any ideas. I don't / won't have a smartphone, don't like them.  :fum:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Welcome vatazhka,

you have been a busy person haven't you  :exclaim:

:whsaid:

Exceptional post for a new Member .. thanks a lot! :goodjob:

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

Offline alc2

• 2nd Gear

• ro Romania
      Bucharest
@vatazhka : thx for  tips ,  i  am  now able  to  use Torque with   android  phone , but still  unable to  use  the  same  interface with  laptop + BT  , after   testing  all  com  ports :wacko:.  Anyway , i use only  the  android  now . 

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
vatazhka

Great post - but I cannot get the screenshot showing all commands to open. Just get a rotating load symbol on the thumbnail.

Tried IE9, Chrome and Firefox without success.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline vatazhka

• 1st Gear

• pl Poland
It might have happened that image expired as I used a free image hosting service. I will look into this and possibly upload new images once I get my OBD dongle back.

Edit: It's now been fixed.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 22:47:40 by vatazhka »
  • i30 CW 2011 (1.6 L I4 Gamma / 6-speed manual)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal