i30 Owners Club

DPF Regeneration Intervals

AlanHo · 76 · 33532

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I think I'll be hanging onto my mint condition FD model for as long as it will last.  :happydance:

But we don't get DPFs in the GD either.  :)

Probably not for too much longer though.... :undecided:

Have a read of this, it might shed some light as to when DPF's are likely to appear here in OZ...

http://www.minister.infrastructure.gov.au/aa/releases/2011/June/AA106_2011.aspx

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
 :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Lucky I already have mine.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
3. The “core” Euro 5 requirements which apply in ADR79/03 (Phase 1) would require compliance with all the technical requirements of UN ECE Regulation 83/06 except that ADR79/03 would:

◦ allow the provision of PM mass emissions data based on the previous ECE R83/05 (Annex 4) Type I test procedure (with a PM mass emissions limit of 0.005g/km) in lieu of data collected under the revisedtest procedure (Annex 4a of ECE R83/06) which specifies a limit of 0.0045g/km)

◦ accept a relaxed OBD threshold limit (80mg/km) for PM mass for M and N category vehicles of reference mass >1760kg;

not require compliance with the PM number limit specified for diesel vehicles in ECE R83/06;

I wonder if that clause means that diesel particulates are not covered by the new regs?
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
We can only hope.....I just saw blah blah blah when I attempted to read it...  :lol:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
We can only hope.....I just saw blah blah blah when I attempted to read it...  :lol:

:rofl: (me too) but thanks for the link just the same Rusty
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
i don't know how they work out it will save $1 Billion in health cost's. they might mean we will pay.

Offline peon2t

• 3rd Gear

• ch Switzerland
      Lucerne, Switzerland
I'm really wondering what genius programmed the regeneration interval computer.

I first noticed an "upcoming" regeneration wednesday the 24th(I noticed it because of the higher fuel usage and the deactivation of the ISG) while doing a short trip. So of course it couldn't finish. At friday it tried again - and I was again doing a short trip, so it couldn't finish.
At saturday I was driving 100 km to another city and then 100 km back - it could have regenerated the hell out of the filter... but guess what.. it didn't.
Then at monday, I was doing a short trip again, it started another regeneration attempt which of course was predetermined to fail.
At wednesday I was doing 20 minutes on the highway (and afterwards back the same way) - but guess what. It didn't try to regenerate. This morning I was doing again 25 minutes on the highway... it still wouldn't regenerate. After I drove off the highway I did 5 minutes of city driving... and now the regeneration started... unfortunately once more 200 meter in front of my parking lot.

So whoever made up the 'logic' behind the regeneration, his predictions about when it would make sense to regenerate are a big failure. I'm sure I could drive 200 km on the highway tomorrow and it wouldn't try to regenerate until I'd turn into the street I'm living after the drive...

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
^-- that's actually a known law of physics.

Sod's Law.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
The biggest drawback to a modern diesel used for short trips right there....
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

So whoever made up the 'logic' behind the regeneration, his predictions about when it would make sense to regenerate are a big failure. I'm sure I could drive 200 km on the highway tomorrow and it wouldn't try to regenerate until I'd turn into the street I'm living after the drive...

Wow! That would be very frustrating and disappointing. :disapp: I would write all that information down, including dates and times and put it in a safe place.

If your DPF fails or requires manual cleaning (at a cost) later on, you may be able to argue a case for free or reduced cost warranty repair.  :fingers:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

ouri30
Oh and I'm so pleased to have bought an i30 in Australia.

Offline peon2t

• 3rd Gear

• ch Switzerland
      Lucerne, Switzerland
Oh and I'm so pleased to have bought an i30 in Australia.

Yeah, if I  already was living in a desert, I wouldn't bother ruining the environment either  :D :wink:

No, kidding. I'm not sure if the DPF principally is a good thing or not, but the scheduling of the interval surely could be better in the i30.

But afaik you'd have to ignore the warning light fopr quite a long time in order to get problems. My father drives a Golf diesel with DPF for years on short trips and he had the warning light coming up only once after weeks of really short trips - and could resolve the issue by taking the car to the highway.

Still its annoying because of the increased fuel usage (my i30 drinks much more than advertised anyway) and the disbaling of the ISG.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I experience exactly the same with the regeneration of my 2008 FD...  :disapp:

Apparently they haven't improved on that matter... :disapp:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I'm confused. Does an OZ 2009 CRDi have a DPF? :head_butt:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
AFAIK, no Aussie i30's have DPF in any vintage, but the Santa Fe does.  :head_butt:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal