i30 Owners Club

Silver trim for steering wheel

Guest · 29 · 10305

GLClassic
Does anybody have an idea how and where I can get hold of the silver trim piece for the steering wheel? I have informed at local scrapyards, but they have no i30's there (no surprise actually :wink:)

« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 18:55:41 by GLClassic »

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Mine came as shown in the picture. 
I take it your didn't so do you have a photo please so I can compare.

I would expect you will have to buy a new steering wheel with it already on it unless a breakers has a write off in stock
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Can't remember fully, but I'm sure someone on our forum removed their SW trim and painted it. Possibly Hemmi?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I can't help either but mine came as shown also.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Alasama

• 5th Gear

• tw Taiwan
      Taoyuan County
That's the same look as our i30 here. However the silver paint could wear after a period of time, especially the portion which your finger touched often. Some of the owners apply a layer of film on it, and looks great.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
That looks excellent, Alasama..... :goodjob:

Yep, I agree  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline i30niko

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      ADELAIDE, SA, AUSTRALIA
Does anybody have an idea how and where I can get hold of the silver trim piece for the steering wheel? I have informed at local scrapyards, but they have no i30's there (no surprise actually :wink:)

I would probably do what has been suggested, remove it and spray paint it....Its plastic anyway should spray paint easily. Otherwise you will need to go through the dealer to find such a part and order it costing you a lot of money.
  • 2010 i30 diesel SX auto

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
The poverty Pack like Cyril, comes with a black steering trim centre, I have seen two other poverty pack i30's over our way, one had done the vynl wrap with the aluminium look,like alasama shown, the other one I saw the lady had her centre wheel trim painted to match the colour of her car along with the plastic trim surround around the radio, now this looked wicked,I have thought of having this done to Cyril.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline i30niko

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      ADELAIDE, SA, AUSTRALIA
The poverty Pack like Cyril, comes with a black steering trim centre, I have seen two other poverty pack i30's over our way, one had done the vynl wrap with the aluminium look,like alasama shown, the other one I saw the lady had her centre wheel trim painted to match the colour of her car along with the plastic trim surround around the radio, now this looked wicked,I have thought of having this done to Cyril.

Just curious on how easy removal would be - It seems from Alasama's photos there is 6 screws you need to locate behind the steering wheel in order to remove it.....
  • 2010 i30 diesel SX auto

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Yeah not sure,I haven't been game to have a go because of the air bag in there somewhere,knowing my luck I'd trigger the damned thing and blow my head off  :rofl:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

GLClassic
Just curious on how easy removal would be - It seems from Alasama's photos there is 6 screws you need to locate behind the steering wheel in order to remove it.....

Removal is very easy. I replaced my standard PU steering wheel with a leather one.
First of al you disconnect the battery of the car, then you press the brake pedal, so that the remaining current disappears through the brake lights.
Then you use a torx wrench 9 to unfasten the two torx srews situated in the holes on both sides of the steering wheel. When they are loose, these torx screws will not fall out. Then you can remove your airbag unit very carefully. Then you unplug it's connections, and you can put the aitbag in a safe place.
The plastic parts of the steering wheel can then be removed using torx wrenches.

Assembly is just a reversal of the procedure. normally when you connect the battery again, there will be no problem. Just to be sure, sit in the passenger seat and turn on the ignition. The airbag control light in the instrument cluster should go out like it normally does after startup.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
its taken me nearly 4 years to find out that information,the airbag also was a concern of mine.  :wacko: :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia

Removal is very easy. I replaced my standard PU steering wheel with a leather one.
First of al you disconnect the battery of the car, then you press the brake pedal, so that the remaining current disappears through the brake lights.
Then you use a torx wrench 9 to unfasten the two torx srews situated in the holes on both sides of the steering wheel. When they are loose, these torx screws will not fall out. Then you can remove your airbag unit very carefully. Then you unplug it's connections, and you can put the aitbag in a safe place.
The plastic parts of the steering wheel can then be removed using torx wrenches.

Assembly is just a reversal of the procedure. normally when you connect the battery again, there will be no problem. Just to be sure, sit in the passenger seat and turn on the ignition. The airbag control light in the instrument cluster should go out like it normally does after startup.

Good advice about the passenger seat and  :Agoodpost: too.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline herkman

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
Do a search on EBAY

They are there chrome complete am not sure if it was Aussie or USA site

Regards

Col
  • I30

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Thanks herkman. If you come across any links please do post them :D

Oh and I like the name "herkman"... sounds like an airman's combat name ;)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Do a search on EBAY

They are there chrome complete am not sure if it was Aussie or USA site

Regards

Col

Welcome to the forum.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Welcome Herkman,

Advice on your 1st post, very good.  :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline herkman

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
YES You are coreect, it is a Aunstralian Air Force combat name, used to fly on the C130 Hercules.

Hope you fix your wheel.

Regards

Col
  • I30

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Giving this idea a nudge, any luck finding a replacement part as shown? I may go down the spray paint path but would like options. :)
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Pull it apart and get it wrapped in gold chrome film.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Giving this idea a nudge, any luck finding a replacement part as shown? I may go down the spray paint path but would like options. :)

561512L000G2

:link: Genuine 561512L000G2 Steering Wheel Upper Cover for 2008 2011 Hyundai I30 I30CW | eBay

If you get it from KORAPS let us know how it went. Not showing stocked but can be requested. Primarily curious about the price which seems way too cheap.

:link: Auto Part Item View : 561512L000G2 (56151-2L000G2) for HYUNDAI/KIA i30
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
I've got this part in my shed! It's a little a worn on the RHS... can take some photos on the weekend if you like... you can have it if you pay the postage

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

• 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Funnily, mine is showing thumbwear on the RHS as well. I may just be ending up with two identical problems, or I might grab it in person as a test case for Tim's idea, on my way through Melbourne before Christmas. :lol:

Tim, gold film? Won't that clash? Tell me more. :confused:

Edit: Like this? http://www.amazon.com/24x60Chrome-Mirror-Silver-Sticker-Self-adhesive/dp/B00LYMX48I/ref=pd_sim_263_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=51EetiPshDL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0XEN1P8ZM6GS2S405JKM
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 11:49:39 by The Gonz »

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria

Let me know what you think. It should fit in a cheap Aust post satchel. We're moving house... hence wanting it gone ... packing... I hate packing

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I'll PM you, maybe get family to pick it up soon. No sense sending it to Indonesia when the car is in storage in Adelaide! :crazy1:

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
I think the gold would go well with Hyper Silver. And it would look even better if you did the dash facia and gear shift surround and door accents.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal