i30 Owners Club

3,870k latest update on economy in Sydney traffic.

Lakes · 64 · 20022

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
hi all well, i am going away this weekend, and have done 426k since i last filled up to the very top, so desided to top up tonight so i have a full tank to leave from work with as i'll be going 350k straight from work 700 round trip. i filled up with BP at a truck stop that has a large turn over of diesel, don't know if that helps or not. but i could only get 21Liters into the tank after 426k sydney traffic so think thats 4.9 L /100K so happy. the motor is going strong seems to pull strong from 1,500 rev maybe 1,400rev i broke it in how an old hand at diesels told me too can feel it's got good grunt down low. like old wiskey it might improve with age? :D

Offline i30niko

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      ADELAIDE, SA, AUSTRALIA
I have now done 2500km on my i30 2011 Crdi.
On a full tank in Adelaide SA city traffic I get around 700Kms (with about 5L left in the tank).
I do not want to risk completely emptying the tank in case air get sucked in.....
How is everyone else comparing?
  • 2010 i30 diesel SX auto

Offline bryanj86

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

• Logan, Queensland (i30 CRDi)
the tanks are what?..55L?  And you say you got 700km to the 50L you used. That makes your economy 7.14l/100. 
  • 2011 Crdi i30

Offline i30niko

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      ADELAIDE, SA, AUSTRALIA
the tanks are what?..55L?  And you say you got 700km to the 50L you used. That makes your economy 7.14l/100.

Yeah pretty much as I said I still got around 5L in the tank I never let it run out completely,
so I am not happy with that. Maybe the oil they use? (Castrol Magnatec) Which I think is not even
fully synthetic.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
The tank is actually 53 litres.....but, if you brim it you can get 60 litres or thereabouts in it...  :)

Offline i30niko

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      ADELAIDE, SA, AUSTRALIA
Rusty,
How many Km do you usually get on a full tank?

I have to mention mine is an auto though which is worse than the manual but still,
I was expecting better fuel economy. I will be doing the 7,500 service myself
and putting in a top-of-the-range oil and see if it makes any difference.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Rusty and many other Manaul CRDi owners get 1000 out of the tank quite often.. Unfortunately, the Auto (being a 4 Speed) is much less economical (rated at 6.0 V 4.7 on the combined cycle)

Depending on driving style the difference can easily be more than the 1.3 LPH rating difference and this makes a big difference to the range (as you are finding out)  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
As Daz mentioned, I get 1000k from a tank easily enough.....  :)

Your engine is probably still a bit tight so expect things to get a little better once you've done at least 10,000k's....

By the way, what pressure are you running in your tyres...I run 38psi all round.....

Offline ijet30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
If anyone is looking for a good oil for crdi try nulon 5w-30 diesel formula I'm using it at the moment and my engine is smoother, quiter and more grunt!

Offline i30niko

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      ADELAIDE, SA, AUSTRALIA
If anyone is looking for a good oil for crdi try nulon 5w-30 diesel formula I'm using it at the moment and my engine is smoother, quiter and more grunt!

I actually had an extensive look at Nulon's products and the only oils I could find that complies with CRDi hyundai's specs is the Nulon 5w40 Long Life Full Synthetic API CF/SM ACEA C3/B4/A3 and the Nulon 5w30 EURO full synthetic oil.

The oil you mentioned even though it says Diesel, it is not a B4 (A requirement for the i30 CRDi) it is B5. Not sure if that makes a huge difference but I hope you do not tell Hyundai because it will most certainly void your warranty!

Offline ijet30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Yeh ur right it does say B5 but it actually has B5-04 which I'm not sure what that means but on the back of the bottle it says " suitable for use in the following manufacturer's vechiles" and Hyundai is one of them am I think all of hyundai's crdi's would be B4 from the 1.6 to the 2.2lt..

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Seems if It meets ACEA C3 it still meets Hyundai's specs....  :undecided:

Offline ijet30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
It's funny how hyundai contradict them self by saying that you can use castrol edge 0W-40 when castrol says u can't use it in vehicles with DPF filter, I don't understand that lol..

Pip
I have several concerns with this oil:

First, it is described as a "Fully Synthetic" yet the MSDS says it is made from >60% Group 3 oil and 10-20% mineral oil. Group 3 oil is itself 100% derived from crude oil. There appears to be 0% real synthetic. Even if accepting that group 3 is as good as real synthetic (as generally accepted) they ought describe it as "Semi Synthetic" at least. So why don't they? It's a marketing stretch that relies on consumer ignorance to sell more product IMO.

Secondly, it is a B5-04 oil (the suffix is a year update) and not B4. For Oz cars, Hy have unequivocally asked for B4. B5 is designed for economy and generally achieves that by being lower in viscosity. At 11.6 cSt it is near the middle of the w30 range. The w30 grade oils that can meet B4 generally seem to be > 12.2 cSt to offer a greater margin (against thinning too low) particularly in hotter climates and greater loads such as towing etc. The upper margin for w30 is 12.5 cSt and I prefer oils to be near this figure which might be a w40 oil. Economy might not be as good as B5 or other lower viscosity oils but a robust B4 oil should be kinder to the engine.

Thirdly, while it does say it meets C3 (by design, less soot to give the DPF less to cope with) it is not required in Oz either, because there is no DPF. As Rusty says, its use does not appear to be against the recomendation and should result in less exhaust pollution and might even reduce the possibility of inlet deposits fed back via the EGR.

All up, I would not recommend this oil. Sorry.

Pip
It's funny how hyundai contradict them self by saying that you can use castrol edge 0W-40 when castrol says u can't use it in vehicles with DPF filter, I don't understand that lol..
No. What you don't see in the chart is that @@ = DPF and ** = no DPF.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

We don't have DPF in the Aussie i30 yet ... :goodjob: (The European ones do)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

The old 0W-40 Castrol Edge (which is the one referred to in the Hyundai notice) met both C3 & B4......

But, 0W-40 Castrol Edge "Titanium" only meets B4 whiich is why it's listed as not suitable for vehicles with particulate filters......

Offline ijet30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Dazz have a look on ur engine cover it says that it is fitted with a catalyzed particulate filter.. Is that not that same as a diesel particulate filter?

Offline ijet30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria

Offline ijet30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Dazz have a look on ur engine cover it says that it is fitted with a catalyzed particulate filter.. Is that not that same as a diesel particulate filter?

I'd check yours again, ijet, as i30's in Oz don't have a particulate filter, and that includes the latest model....  :confused:

Pip
Seems we are completely off topic discussing oil here but I thought we were talking about diesel lubrication.

If you have a DPF (diesel particulate filter) you have no option but to use a low SAPS oil which will be an ACEA Cx oil else the DPF will get stuffed (literally and metaphorically) and they are expensive.

If you don't have a DPF (Australia at least) you are free required to use an ACEA B4 which has different and/or more friction modifier additives with less concern for the by-products.

B4 might be better for the engine and C3 might be better for us. It's not impossible have both together although it is my opinion that compromises will be made in such cases but ideally oil merchants would probably love to have a universal oil.

B5 is designed as a long life low friction oil. Many of the desired attributes of each type of oil are mutually opposed.

My definitions are generalisations. 

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

I'd check yours again, ijet, as i30's in Oz don't have a particulate filter, and that includes the latest model....  :confused:

:whsaid:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline ijet30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria

Do u have a caustion label on ur engine cover?

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I do, but it says that the vehicle is NOT fitted with a DPF.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

I do ijet, and here's a pic....  :)

And here's a pic of the sticker on a 2012 GD i30....

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Cheers Rusty :goodjob2:

Offline ijet30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria

I do ijet, and here's a pic....  :)

And here's a pic of the sticker on a 2012 GD i30....
Does it say fitted with a catylized particulate filter?

Offline ijet30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
I do, but it says that the vehicle is NOT fitted with a DPF.
Mine says fitted with catalyzed particulate filter :-/ I'm not sure if that's the same as a DPF tho

Pip
ijet30, I clearly see the word "not" in those 2 images. Does yours not have "not"?

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal