i30 Owners Club

New i30 ISG problem

Offline billbuss

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bozeat
Reading the club ISG reported problem of failure to work, I note nothing has been recorded since September 2010. I have an August 2012 model (1.6 diesel 110) which has failed to operate in ISG mode for the last few weeks. The dealership has advised that it is low battery since they can fault nothing else. However they can only suggest  'recharge the battery by recharger'. I have recently spent a 90 minute trip on the motorway followed by no ISG operation. Can anybody out there in the real world advise if I am alone? Is this a new problem with this 2012 model? Do I really have to recharge the battery when I kick tyres etc?

• i30 registered August 2012

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
My ISG is constantly deactivated at present because winter has arrived and the temperature has been below 4°C when I am using the car.  The ISG will not be operational at low temperatures.

You don't indicate where you live - is this a possible reason?

A second factor is that the ISG is deactivated if the DPF is renerating or needs regeneration.  I doubt that this is a cause in your case - but could be if the DPF is faulty.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline billbuss

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bozeat
Thanks for your quick responses. I live in dear old Northamptonshire, about as middle England as it gets. Yes it is cold here now but a month ago, when the  ISG stopped working, it was well above the temperature limit. Got an important clue for you. I kept the car garaged for 6 weeks across October due a post medical operation kept me away from driving. I suspect it was across this period that the problem started. I assumed, maybe foolishly, that the alternator would have taken  care of any slight battery discharge - battery only 3 month old? Thanks again for you responses. 

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
The battery should have suffered  no ill effects :mrgreen: over that period of time. A 90 minute drive on the motorway would certainly charge the battery as much as the battery can accept. Recharging with a charger will not add any more power. if you can measure the voltage before your next start and it is 12v + at this point, then the battery is good.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Billbus .. Some of the UK (and a few Aussie Dealers as well) seem to have a defeatist attitude  :fum: .. can't seem to fix it so it becomes the owner's problem (not good enough)  :Pout:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

No idea if its still current but the i30 ISG stop conditions are listed here:

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=6514.0

Missing from that list is the fact the ISG is deactivated when the DPF is regenerating. Perhaps because the list was for 2010 cars not yet fitted with a DPF.

Offline billbuss

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bozeat
Gentlemen   
I am pleasantly overwhelmed with the advice and general comments offered. One thing firstly - my handbook for the current 2012 i30 makes reference to the conditions needed for the ISG to operate, but outside air temperature is not one of them. Looking at the list it does include headlights on - so it won't work at night. It lists Air con on - so that means it won't work in summer. Is says heater on - so that means it won't work in winter. Since my dealership says that the ISG is serviceable, so it has to low battery power - I need to take issue with them. I will keep you informed of my progress. Thank you all again
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 16:47:41 by billbuss »

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Gentlemen   
I am pleasantly overwhelmed with the advice and general comments offered. One thing firstly - my handbook for the current 2012 i30 makes reference to the conditions needed for the ISG to operate, but outside air temperature is not one of them. Looking at the list it does include headlights on - so it won't work at night. It lists Air con on - so that means it won't work in summer. Is says heater on - so that means it won't work in winter. Since my dealership says that the ISG is serviceable, so it has to low battery power - I need to take issue with them. I will keep you informed of my progress. Thank you all again

In my manual - page 5-18 - it states that the ISG will operate under the following conditions :-

When the driver's seat belt is fastened
When the driver's door and bonnet are closed
When the brake vacuum pressure is adequate
When the battery is sufficiently charged
When the outside temperature is between -2°C to 35°C
When the engine collant temperature is not too low

So it does mention outside temperature - but with my car the ISG is deactivated when the ice warning signal is showing - which is when the temperature falls below 4°C

My car also deactivates the ISG when the DPF is regenerating.

Offline peon2t

• 3rd Gear

• ch Switzerland
      Lucerne, Switzerland
In my i30 GD CRDI, the ISG has been constantly deactivated during the last two or three weeks too. I suspect it's because of the low temperatures.

What I find annoying isn't the fact that the ISG is deactivated but that the message "ISG deactivated" constantly shows up when waiting at the traffic light and that it suppresses the information you really want to see in the display...

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

In my i30 GD CRDI, the ISG has been constantly deactivated during the last two or three weeks too. I suspect it's because of the low temperatures.

What I find annoying isn't the fact that the ISG is deactivated but that the message "ISG deactivated" constantly shows up when waiting at the traffic light and that it suppresses the information you really want to see in the display...

I just dab the trip button and the deactivation message goes away.

Offline billbuss

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bozeat
Thankyou for pointing out the outside air temp requirement IS mentioned in the book. I was reading an email I got from Hyundai Customer Support which didn't reference it at all. My senility has arrived. This morning, after a cool night in my garage, I did measure the battery voltage and it registered 12.2V. I take that as okay. With regard to the DPF, I have no diesel experience prior to this car, so can only say that the Malfunction Indicator has not come back on after engine start up, and I have not witnessed any flickering. I have had several long distant runs at motorway speeds so assume any carbon deposits have been taken care of. My next move is to persuade Hyundai to take a serious interest in the problem. Should I make progress, this club site will be the first to know. Thanks for all your inputs.   

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Cheers Bill.. Look forward to an update  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

This thread has caused me to pay a bit more attention to the ISG.

I noticed today that when I went out in the car early morning the air temperature was 6°C but the ISG was deactivated until the engine got warm enough for the coolant temperature guage to show 2 bars. I spent 20 minutes with a friend and on starting the car to return home the coolant temperature gauge showed one bar and the ISG was deactivated. I kept an eye on it and as soon as 2 bars appeared I stopped the car to check - and the ISG stopped the engine.

Offline billbuss

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bozeat
Thank for input re coolant temp 2 bars versus one bar. After a month of no activity, my ISG today worked twice in a row. I noted that the outside temp was registering +9 degrees on both occasions. By the time I arrived home, an hour or so later, the ISG went back to sleep again. I noted the outside air temp had dropped to +6 degrees. I am now wondering if the outside air temp is not set at the book figure but nearer plus 6 degrees. 

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Looks a bit suspicious - something to explain to the dealers.

Offline billbuss

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bozeat
I think I am near to establishing the cause of ISG  inoperation. Again yesterday at +4 degs. no ISG opearation in several attempts.
Today at +8 degs. ISG operated every time. I think I have enough evidence now to go to the Dealership. If I am right, it will be innteresting to see how the outside air temperature input to ISG can be adjusted back to -2 degs??

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal