CRDi fuel consumption

THE i30 · 52 · 13293

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
That sounds logical @ thanks for testing & sharing.  :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline alexeiw123

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Port Macquarie
just though I'd throw in, very similair figures to what I'm seeing. 110km/h highway usage is roughly 4.1l/100

seems to be mid to low 5's for stop start driving.

got 1100km from a brimmed tank with about 70% highway.

I log all my k's and fuel with the android app 'acar' so I've got a tonne of statistics at my disposal, and also for the getz, and my old liberty GT. running costs are pretty much halved from the subaru.

The instantaneous economy readout has me driving like such a nana.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia

At your age too.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That's good info  :goodjob2:

Offline alexeiw123

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Port Macquarie

don't laugh, you should have seen my mates faces when I said I was getting a diesel hatchback! Kind of strays from the previous selection of cars.

No regrets yet :)

Offline THE i30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Rockhampton Queensland Australia
I wonder if anyone else's GD speedo is out that much?  :undecided:

My speedo is out around 2kph, but that is in an FD....

Mine is, when the speedo says 90, the GPS says 84.

Sounds like a good excuse to go to larger tyres and rims when I wear the originals out I reckon :)

• 2012 Hyper Silver i30 Elite 1.6 CRDi 6 Speed Manual

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia

don't laugh, you should have seen my mates faces when I said I was getting a diesel hatchback! Kind of strays from the previous selection of cars.

No regrets yet :)

Maybe one of them may see the light too.

Excellent  :happydance:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Very interesting and great fuel economy results.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales

[/quote]

That's great!, has the new GD Crdi trip PC got instant fuel useage readout?

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

[/quote]

Yes, but in the form of a pretty useless strip readout that tells you very little.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
old friend of mine, thats always liked performance V8's ( still has some too ) three  years back he got his wife a new Focus Turbo Diesel manual after watching me, then riding in my i30 CRDi, but they thought the focus was nicer inside so got that. did about 250,000k in three years & today they just ordered another new Focus, i mentioned all the standard features on the new top of the line i30 he looked surprised. they wanted manual but Ford only use auto in diesel now.think DSG trans.
he gets it next week.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Yes, but in the form of a pretty useless strip readout that tells you very little.
[/quote]

will have to go have another look, but my i30 trip PC does not tell that much. but the new u2 now it has 34,000k up seems to perform well faster off lights than the old 5 speed i had too i like it.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
As I have reported before - in the UK the instant trip recoder - a horizontal bar with no graduations - has the range O to 50 mpg (5.7 l/100 km). Totally useless in everyday use - unless you are climbing a steep hill fully loaded and pulling a 1 ton trailer.

I complained to Hyundai at the launch of the car and they told me a patch would be issued in June 2012 to correct the problem. It was not released so I complained again. They then informed me that they would not be patching existing vehicles - but cars built after September 2012 would have an amended instant trip scale so that it could display realistic figures.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

The one in Australia is from 0 to 50 l/100 kms so a bit more realistic, but still as useless, really, as it's not calibrated in any way.
It's just a line.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline alexeiw123

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Port Macquarie
Agreed. Its really impossible to know what economy your on, other than, roughly around about 5ish, give or take. But even still.. I find myself trying to keep it low

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Ok a couple more tests I have done. Same piece of road same tank of fuel 100km of highway reset average l/100km and cruise control at same point.  100km/hr 6th gear 1900rpm 4.1L/100km, 100km/hr 5th gear 2300rpm 3.9L/100km and 110km/hr 6th gear 2100rpm 3.8L/100km. Very interesting figures  so it seems 2100rpm is the sweet spot and I think the extra 10km/hr must help when coming to a hill.

Confirms my suspicions that 1500-1700rpm is probably below the sweet spot for the engine. Perhaps turbo not on boost and assisting. That's why even at 100km in the GD, the optimal fuel economy is 5th gear, not 6th.

Things are a bit lower geared in the FD, so I think 1900rpm or so is the sweet spot which corresponds to about 90km/hr in 6th.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline THE i30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Ok a couple more tests I have done. Same piece of road same tank of fuel 100km of highway reset average l/100km and cruise control at same point.  100km/hr 6th gear 1900rpm 4.1L/100km, 100km/hr 5th gear 2300rpm 3.9L/100km and 110km/hr 6th gear 2100rpm 3.8L/100km. Very interesting figures  so it seems 2100rpm is the sweet spot and I think the extra 10km/hr must help when coming to a hill.

Confirms my suspicions that 1500-1700rpm is probably below the sweet spot for the engine. Perhaps turbo not on boost and assisting. That's why even at 100km in the GD, the optimal fuel economy is 5th gear, not 6th.

Things are a bit lower geared in the FD, so I think 1900rpm or so is the sweet spot which corresponds to about 90km/hr in 6th.

I like the idea of being able to do 110km/hr in 6th gear and getting better economy than doing 100km/hr in either 5th or 6th gear :)

Offline alexeiw123

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Port Macquarie
the confusing part is that on the dash screen, there is an indicator that tells you which gear to be in for best economy, and it will start recommending 6th gear at anything above about 65km/h which I feel is true for coasting along, but I always shift down before starting to climb at those speeds, even though the torque can easily pull you up a slight incline in 6th at those speeds.

Offline THE i30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
the confusing part is that on the dash screen, there is an indicator that tells you which gear to be in for best economy, and it will start recommending 6th gear at anything above about 65km/h which I feel is true for coasting along, but I always shift down before starting to climb at those speeds, even though the torque can easily pull you up a slight incline in 6th at those speeds.

I turned mine off its so annoying flashing at you all the time

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I generally don't do 6th until 80 km/h.
In fact I don't think mine tells me to shift until about then anyway.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
:

I turned mine off its so annoying flashing at you all the time

I'd rather they didn't fit these "useful" aid's than to do a half arsed job like they appear to have done in the GD.....   :fum:
But really, do we really need to be told when it's time to change gear?  :rolleyes:
I find it all just a big wank....

Offline alexeiw123

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Port Macquarie
no we don't need to be told, and yes it is a wank.

I find the gear indicator is a good nudge in the ribs when other people drive my car that are used to higher revving smaller cars, other than that.. useless, but I don't find it so in your face that you can't ignore it.

I would much rather have a freaking digital clock on the dash though, rather than on the nav screen (sometimes)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

It doesn't worry me it being there at all.
I think it is intended as a fuel saver and encouragement to drive economically but it tends to want you to change up earlier than I otherwise would.
I just continue to drive by my own intuition. I'm not going to labour a car in 6th gear because an electronic gadget tells me to, but as I said, it doesn't bother me that it's there.
  • Tertius the i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal