i30 Owners Club

Turbo whistle

BC · 89 · 43805

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
what dealership carried out the repairs/warranty BC?  :undecided:

Chadstone Hyundai have done all the servicing & are generally pretty good.

Also Elantraelite, my whistle was inaudible when idling and only became obvious when the turbo
started to work a bit with a some load & few revs.

What your describing sounds exactly how mine is acting. I will give chadstone Hyundai a call because I have been to two dealers and dont have any idea what it is.

My step dad works for holden in testing and said it doesnt sound right for a turbo charger.
  • 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline rumcajs

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Addy, SA
This appears to be common apparently on earlier 1.6 L CrD fitted to i30 and Kia Ceeds. High pitch police siren like whine.
Kia forum is full of complaints about it.  I've come across that myself in my brother inlaw car (Kia Ceed). He's been driving like that for a year now, noisy but still going. I'm monitoring mine (wife's) every time I jump in it seems to be getting louder but now as bad described.
Cheers
  • i30 SX MY11

Pip
Has anybody yet been told the cause of the whistle (apart from "it's the turbo") and the reason for any replacement of the turbo? This is no doubt a high cost replacement item and a lot of cars (including mine) are coming out of warranty.

I don't have any turbo whistle but it seems like a common symptom and a possible future problem. I'm sure many would like to avoid it if possible.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Where's Kom, he'd know this answer. All I recall, is that turbo whistle, is the indication of eventual turbo failure. Some people like a little turbo whine, but if it's not meant to, then it shouldn't.

I do like the sound of a nice Kenworth cruising on the freeway.  :razz:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline BC

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Melbourne, Australia
Has anybody yet been told the cause of the whistle (apart from "it's the turbo") and the reason for any replacement of the turbo? This is no doubt a high cost replacement item and a lot of cars (including mine) are coming out of warranty.
I was told it was a bearing, which sounds reasonable to me.  I don't think there's much else in a turbo that could make that type of noise.  Incidentally, the repair would have cost about $3500 if out of warranty.
  • I30CW CrDi

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
if you think your turbo is noisy, listen to this video.

if it is louder than this, you have problems...

Offline rumcajs

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Addy, SA
When I looked at my bro-in-law Kia what I found was that noise went away when I restricted VNT control not too allow vanes to reach max position (I clamped vacuum hose). I also remember when  I was searching about it on Interwebz a post on Kia UK forum where someone with Kia association let it slip that case for noise is from vanes opening past their max position and touching the housing.
That would be possible but there is a stop screw to limit the travel. Other explanation could be that as the bearing wears out it allows the turbine shaft to move  hence vanes touch. The poster also insisted that this issue is with earlier generation of those VNT turbos that Kia was aware of the problem and replacing them with superseeded unit when under warranty.
Unfortunately I can't find that link anymore.
Cheers
  • i30 SX MY11

Offline BC

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Melbourne, Australia

Certainly the same noise but I think mine was louder.  The reason I hesitate is that mine didn't really start to get noisy until there was some load (ie. causing manifold vacuum and the turbo to work?) - the video only gives short glimpses where this is apparent.
  • I30CW CrDi

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

That's exactly what I hear when Fergie's singing.

Thanks for the video Ian :goodjob:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
My turbo sounds like that. Has done for the 55000 km I've had the car, car now done 181000 km.

I'm not worried... :cool:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Alhimiq

• 1st Gear

• fi Finland
      Finland
Good afternoon everybody. I have little bit same whistling noise from turbo and I hear it windows up. The thing is that when I remove small air hose from turbo (please see picture I have added), whistling stops. + Whistling is not so loud when air conditioner is off, but when it is on, whistling is always on, even if car is not moving. With A/C it REALLY whistles loud. Now I have doubt what part could have been damaged. Any advice?

xzxz
  • i30CW 2008 CRDi

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
One thing that is known, is that the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve) is disconnected when the A/C is on. Sometimes, the EGR valve can become dirty and clogged with soot, so perhaps this is a cause of your whistle. Apparently, turbo whistle is a sign of bad turbo health, so I'd get that checked ASAP.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
And apparently boost is increased when the AC is on....  :undecided:

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
a whistleing turbo is not always a sign of a bad turbo, white smoke from the exhaust is, grinding noise is, no boost is, but feint whistling is not, if i made you spin at 150,000 RPM and push 18 psi i can bet $100 you would make a whistling noise. you will KNOW when something is wrong with it.

rodger that crustynuts, i can confirm boost goes up when AC is put on, it actually goes up 4 psi.

your disconnecting the variable vane controler... thats why it stops, it cant make any boost. very similar to the function of a waste gate, but backwards in operation, (disconect waste gate = no boost limit, disconnect variable vane control = no boost)

listen to the video, if its louer than that, then play with things. if not leave it alone as there is nothing wrong with it.

so just to recap, leave the hose alone, listen to the video a few posts up with some good quality headphones.

Offline Alhimiq

• 1st Gear

• fi Finland
      Finland
One thing that is known, is that the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve) is disconnected when the A/C is on. Sometimes, the EGR valve can become dirty and clogged with soot, so perhaps this is a cause of your whistle. Apparently, turbo whistle is a sign of bad turbo health, so I'd get that checked ASAP.

How hard is in this model (2008 i30 diesel) to clean the EGR? Does forte or other cleaners help? I called garage (don't know how you call mechanics in AU) and they suggested me to perfom forte cleaning, but I don't know whether it will clean EGR. An on the top of the all, I got really lazy car this morning (turbo is working). I wonder, if somebody know is it EGR or MAF (or something else??) is causing this: When I bought this car, it was quite sensitive with gas pedal and I didn't need to press it too much, I got the torque. Now I pretty much has to press gas pedal at the bottom to get car moving. Please, does anybody knows what is going on?

By the way, I think car is running on lower rpm than it used to be. Consumes slightly less diesel.

xzxz
  • i30CW 2008 CRDi

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi

It could be a defect Air mass sensor. If defect, the sensor will not allow enough air to the engine, and too little air also means too little ( or no at all ) turbo pressure.

You will need a computer or a Scantool of some kind to be able too measure the airflow, and you also need to know what the flow should be.

• i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Alhimiq

• 1st Gear

• fi Finland
      Finland
Hi

It could be a defect Air mass sensor. If defect, the sensor will not allow enough air to the engine, and too little air also means too little ( or no at all ) turbo pressure.

You will need a computer or a Scantool of some kind to be able too measure the airflow, and you also need to know what the flow should be.

Anybody knows what the air flow should be in 66W 1.6 CRDi i30? :)
  • i30CW 2008 CRDi

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Having checked the workshop manual, I would suggest that you take the car to a Hy dealer to have it checked.

The MAFS (Mass Air Flow Sensor) is complex and dependent on inlet air temperature to determine it's output.

The output of the sensor is a variable frequency ranging from 1.96 to 9.83 kHz @ 20 Deg c. (High Flow) or

2.0 to 8.12 kHz @ -15 Deg C (Low Flow)

There is no way you can check this component without the correct equipment, sorry.

Offline Alhimiq

• 1st Gear

• fi Finland
      Finland
Having checked the workshop manual, I would suggest that you take the car to a Hy dealer to have it checked.

The MAFS (Mass Air Flow Sensor) is complex and dependent on inlet air temperature to determine it's output.

The output of the sensor is a variable frequency ranging from 1.96 to 9.83 kHz @ 20 Deg c. (High Flow) or

2.0 to 8.12 kHz @ -15 Deg C (Low Flow)

There is no way you can check this component without the correct equipment, sorry.

The thing that bothers me the most is that dealer may not have these equipments.

I had same problem with BMW previously and for 4 years nobody found solution for that. They changed a lot of things, but still I didn't get it run as it was suppose to. That is why I am wondering about EGR as well, as I suspect that this non-torqueness might be because of EGR (I didn't change it in BMW :) ). You may correct me. I did change MAF in BMW without the output I was looking for. I get no fault codes and it is very frustrating. I had to go till Australia to complain about :D (this is Australian forum, right, no?)
  • i30CW 2008 CRDi

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Joint British/Australian partnership I believe.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen

Holy bloody cow,if either Bruce or Cyril where as noisy as this I would have them straight into the shop to have them fixed,even with the door open,that sounded terrible
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
What? you're off your chops! its sounded like that since new, like 80km new...

ill give you a tip, the 'shop' can't fix a problem that is not there.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
I will have to make recordings of my two,but from what I am hearing,mine sound nothing like that,what did you use to do the recording,phone, dig camcorder,dig camera with vid,I'd like to replicate it similar to hear the difference,but to my ears that just sounds incredibly noisy
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
its in a shed, right next to a couch and another car, its probably amplifying the sound. yours will sound the same.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
its in a shed, right next to a couch and another car, its probably amplifying the sound. yours will sound the same.

in an enclosed space will do that,will do mine in the shed tomorrow,probably make em sound like trucks

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
i wish mine spooled like the skyling! that thing sounds like a truck! its quite funny, the turbine isnt even moving on idle, or until you get to 1400rpm then its loud, and spools fast!

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Haven't viewed the vids I did this morning of Bruce and Cyril,but when I did Bruce I though Oh! yeah this is very quite,but then I did Cyril holy cow,you want to hear noise,He is bleedin Noisy

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
The turbo whining noise is due to a problem in the variable vane part of the turbo, which is non-serviceable. In other words there is no way you or the service department can fix this, other than getting a complete new turbo, or getting a good second-hand one. I had this occur in mine and the noise got louder and louder as the months went by. And yes it started to sound like the cops or ambulance were on my tail. I guess the problem began to surface a month or two after I ran the car too hard up a steep and windy road on a hot day and towing a trailer full of camping gear. It then started to overheat badly before pulling over and allowing it to idle and cool down to normal operating temps. I suspected that over working the little turbo may have caused the variable vanes to warp slightly due to the heat. This was further confirmed when I had my mechanic remove the turbo and establish the main shaft bearings were still in perfect shape and well within tolerance. Unfortunately I couldn't claim a new replacement turbo under warranty because my servicing was not regular according to the service book. So I decided to source a replacement second-hand turbo from the wreckers with low kms for about $1200 (i think) plus r&r. The car has now done over 100K on the second turbo and all is still good with.

Moral of the story? If you're starting to hear the whining sound (whether idling or under acceleration) it will be the variable vane component beginning to fail and is a non-serviceable l part.  And if you're servicing record is impeccable then you should be able to get a new turbo under warranty. At the time when the turbo whining was going on I was warned that if I leave it too long the variable vanes might break completely, thereby sending shrapnel into your engine, and well...I'm sure you know the rest. Mind you the turbo was whining for several months before I decided to change it.

Anyway that's my 2 bobs worth.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal