i30 Owners Club

High fuel consumption?

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
* I remind you I tend to drive in the 1500-1800 band and 5 to 10 kph under the limit :P
Likewise
:drinks:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I've now done 12000 km's in mine with an average of 5.8 L/100 km. The odometer say's 6.0.
I drive 100 km's a day, 70 on motorway (130 km/h) and the rest on highway (80-90 km/h).
I use the autopilot as much as possible.
Of course better figures can be achieved, but I simply refuse to drive slower than the speedlimits.
I have a friend with an old Golf II diesel which averages the same, so I'm really not that impressed.

/Jakob

Driving at 130kms and using your autopilot (Cruise), you should be pleased with that result.

You would get much closer to the advertised figures with a 110km cruise and not using cruise which usually is not conducive to economy (tends to be more aggressive with acceleration to the detriment of economy) 
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
... tends to be more aggressive with acceleration to the detriment of economy ...
Precisely. I very gently nudge the speed into place, then switch to cruise.  :goodjob:

ouri30
... tends to be more aggressive with acceleration to the detriment of economy ...
Precisely. I very gently nudge the speed into place, then switch to cruise.  :goodjob:

:whsaid:  As I live in Farley ( :argh: preemptive text is an arse on the iPad) flat terrain after getting up to highway speed, cruise works fine for fuel economy most of the time.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 20:38:54 by ouri30 »

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I've now done 12000 km's in mine with an average of 5.8 L/100 km. The odometer say's 6.0.
I drive 100 km's a day, 70 on motorway (130 km/h) and the rest on highway (80-90 km/h).
Of course better figures can be achieved, but I simply refuse to drive slower than the speedlimits.
I have a friend with an old Golf II diesel which averages the same, so I'm really not that impressed.

/Jakob

Driving at 130kms and using your autopilot (Cruise), you should be pleased with that result.

You would get much closer to the advertised figures with a 110km cruise and not using cruise which usually is not conducive to economy (tends to be more aggressive with acceleration to the detriment of economy)

Sorry, but 70mph is only 112 kmh
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I did notice the average climb from 6.8 when I started to 7.1 before slowly coming back to 6.7 when I reached the outskirts of Adelaide.

Was that the SE freeway, or another road into Adelaide. :question:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

/Jakob

Closer to 113 actually  :snigger: (I should have picked that up  :-[ ) 80 Mph is almost 130Kph

ouri30
I did notice the average climb from 6.8 when I started to 7.1 before slowly coming back to 6.7 when I reached the outskirts of Adelaide.

Was that the SE freeway, or another road into Adelaide. :question:

Yep, the SE freeway, Karoonda, Murray Bridge, then SE Freeway to Tollgate.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
What speed do you climb the hill on the return journey.

I ask because when I do that drive I can put our auto, no matter what load, on a sedate 80 kmh  and she quite happily climbs to Mt Lofty. With 3 lanes, I'm happy to mix with trucks in the left lane so as to not disturb the "faster" drivers. The speed limit is 100, then 90 in the tunnels, so I don't have to make any adjustments.

At the top, the freeway merges to 2 lanes and at that point, I let her go to 100 all the way home on CC. I've filled that car at Magill, then driven this way and had a 5.2 l/100 result at home. For an auto 4sp, I'm very happy with that.

I'd be interested in what you presently do and if you'd make any changes at all.

Wittendorff

/Jakob

The daily distance driven is 100 km. I do 70 km on motorway, at a 130 km/h. The rest of the distance driven is mostly on highway, on which I drive 80-90 km/h.

This evening I did two trips of 60 km on mototway with cruisecontrol and 110 km/h. I did a reset of the ododmeter before I left home and ended up with an average of  5.4 L/100 km. But I think that the DPF regenerated during the trip as the ODO went up to 6.5 for a period.

/Jakob

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
That clears things up a bit  :goodjob2:

ouri30
What speed do you climb the hill on the return journey.

I ask because when I do that drive I can put our auto, no matter what load, on a sedate 80 kmh  and she quite happily climbs to Mt Lofty. With 3 lanes, I'm happy to mix with trucks in the left lane so as to not disturb the "faster" drivers. The speed limit is 100, then 90 in the tunnels, so I don't have to make any adjustments.

At the top, the freeway merges to 2 lanes and at that point, I let her go to 100 all the way home on CC. I've filled that car at Magill, then driven this way and had a 5.2 l/100 result at home. For an auto 4sp, I'm very happy with that.

I'd be interested in what you presently do and if you'd make any changes at all.

The i30 I drive is a manual.  It climbs up the freeway from the bottom in 5th (5 speed) with no issues.  Usually I go with the traffic flow somewhere between 80-100kph.  I'm not about fuel consumption. When leaving the big smoke as I'm trying to get away from it - cities are not my favourite place.

The ix35 auto CRDi holds in 6th all the way up the freeway no matter what the speed.  I will be very interested to see what the i30 GD auto diesel is like when it arrives in the next few months.  We've been patient with the wait to date.

Bob

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I will be very interested to see what the i30 GD auto diesel is like when it arrives in the next few months.  We've been patient with the wait to date.

Slightly higher geared apparently (but not as much as the Euro version) so will be interested in your feedback  :goodjob:

ouri30
Will do Dazz. Higher geared for us is good seeing we don't have huge hills, so fuel economy will be interesting to monitor.

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
7.7 km/100 on a recent fill from around town driving. That's about 36mpg. 
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
7.7 km/100
Holy cow! That wouldn't get me around the block  :rofl:
But we know you mean 7.7l/100km. Otherwise you'd be doing an outrageous 1/5 of a MPG.  :scared:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
well I have been following this thread with great interest, reading of everyone's experiences,driving styles,reading all the facts and figures,always quoted in Ltrs/100K's, this is were I would like to put a different spin on this.

As I have said many times before,I'm not that patient a person so me personally I like to sit on the speed limit at least (but I never break the law  :sweating: ) so I have always averaged between 5.5 to 6.8 ltrs/100 for a person coming from a vehicle which averaged  10 to 14 ltrs/100 I thought this new milage was brilliant, by changing cars I had effectively cut my running costs in half, as I do a minimum of 1300 kilometres per week this is quite a considerable savings.

Anyhow I get off the point of me writing this,instead of quoting ltrs/100 I would like you to consider the cost of all your frugal driving,not only in monetary cost but also to the cost of the inconvenience you possibly cause other road users  :whistler: also the annoyance value on the open road (I'm all for everyone slowing down in built up areas,especially in heavily housed areas)

I digress,well for the past few days I have been doing the frugal driving experiment,hasn't that been a major effort on my behalf,especially when 90% of my driving is done on open country roads,biggest thing to look out for there are the Roo's and Emu's, well the results are in, yes my fuel consumption improved no end, from averaging 5.5 ltr/100 down to 4.4 ltr/100 some times even lower(but not very often)

So this is where the twist comes in, if I'm frugal and give everyone else on the roads the shites other than the other old aged pensioners and comatose drivers, at our current fuel prices I can save .01459 cents per kilometre travelled, yes when you work it out over the possible 55.000 kilometres I can travel during the years, the savings could pay my registration fees for the year.

But then you have to take into account the the 8.2 hours a week I loose travelling to and from work,shops and visiting Friends, given my current meagre wage rate,this means monetarily I loose $214.64 per week, times that by 52 weeks that is $11,162.28, now minus the possible saving I could save by driving frugal that brings this figure back to $10.716.28.

So sorry with this coming to light, I would rather stick to my driving style and spend the little extra money now, rather than make every other road user hate me, also save 2.5 weeks of my life a year to do other things, if I wanted to save more money now,I will go out a buy a pushie  :whistler:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I'm like you Rick.  I am currently getting 4.9l/100km here in hilly Southern Tasmania.  I could drive more economically and probably save about $4.50 a week and take an extra two hours commute each week.  However, my time is worth much more than $2.25 an hour!!

I am very, very happy with my 4.9l/100km, and I don't hold people up, nor speed past them.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Well Rick-p,

If your ever on the SE freeway in SA passing me at 110 KMH, I'll say "there goes rick, saving 2.5 weeks"   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Phil which ones that, Last time I was over there I knew all the old areas but some of those new roads had me wondering,now thats bad coming from an Ol Gully boy
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
The South Eastern freeway is the main road out of Adelaide, to Melbourne, it's about 100 k's long and terminates at Tailem Bend.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
yes that one was a great new addition from the days I used to run Adelaide Melbourne/Sydney, but mustb admit missed seeing the Eagle on the Hill(the pub not the bird)they used to have great meals and the run down through the hills to devils elbow and then the old gatehouse,but I must admit it has mad it a faster safer trip,when I was over there last just for the hell of it I run up through the tunnel,headed off on the side road at bakers to chain of ponds,then back down to the Gully, now they're roads for a bike, but Bruce enjoyed em as well,along with me took me back to being 16 belting through the hills, only thing that could have made it more enjoyable wa still having the old Water Bucket.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Glad you enjoyed it Rick, just lately, the "Tour Down Under" bicycles rode on some of the roads you mentioned.

ouri30
Phil which ones that, Last time I was over there I knew all the old areas but some of those new roads had me wondering,now thats bad coming from an Ol Gully boy

"Gully boy". I was a Birdwood boy in my youth.  My 16 yo daughter plays women's football (AFL) for TT Gully Football Club.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Glad you enjoyed it Rick, just lately, the "Tour Down Under" bicycles rode on some of the roads you mentioned.

Yes my Nephews and  are big into cycling over there,they all rode in the Tour Down Under rides they had.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen

"Gully boy". I was a Birdwood boy in my youth.  My 16 yo daughter plays women's football (AFL) for TT Gully Football Club.

Small world Hey,Birdwood had a great golf course, use to go up through there all the time,stop at Palmer to get refreshments on the way to the back of Tailem bend to get some rabbit's years ago,used to take them back down the Modbury and sell em for $2.50 a pair

ouri30
Getting off topic I know, but a whole heap of Gully kids came up to Birdwood and went to High School in my time.  Had many friends from there.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Getting off topic I know, but a whole heap of Gully kids came up to Birdwood and went to High School in my time.  Had many friends from there.

I'll get it back on topic then, if I was still where I used to live, I would only use 1.6 ltrs of fuel which would only cost me $2.32 to get there these days compared to 87 cents years ago when fuel was 22 cents a litre and we didn't only go up there to go to high school there where many other activities we used to get up to,mind you I didn't go to high school up there,but as I said there was a lot to do up that way,especially fruit picking season

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Very briefly  :backontopic: ending with fruit picking.  :offtopic:  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Very briefly  :backontopic: ending with fruit picking.  :offtopic:  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
yeah couldn't work out how to work picking Cherries and fuel in together, other than it could of cost me a bit of economy getting all the extra weight back to town,maybe  half a litre per 100  :whistler:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal