i30 Owners Club

clutch issue

dandans · 13 · 10673

Offline dandans

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Hi Guys,

i have just been driving my i30 crdi 2008 for over a couple of weeks now. its got 70kms on the clock and there seems to be an issue with the clutch.
the issue is as follows (as best as i can describe it):
so if you clutch in you have to put your foot flat to the floor (as usual) but then the friction point is about 20mm from the flat position. The clutch isnt slipping but it doesnt like to go in reverse all the time, every now and then it will crunch and it is driving me insane.

Is it just a matter of adjusting the clutch or would it be that i have to purchase a new clutch.

cheers

Dandans
  • i30 diesel

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
The earlier (2007/2008) 1st series of I30 can be a bit notchy into reverse..(and 1st to 2nd as well)   :confused: Any other symptoms of a dicky clutch??

Did you buy it from a dealer or privately?.. have you referred the issue to them? :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline dandans

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
i bought it privately.

it doesnt really have that many issues apart from the reverse side of things and yeh a little bit of a pain going into first. just doesnt seem to want to go in smoothly.

is there a fix to these probs or what?
  • i30 diesel

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
 :whsaid:

Notchy 1st to 2nd, not happy going into reverse is normal, but you learn to work around it.

If there are no other signs all is probably ok, but see how it goes over time.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
i bought it privately.

it doesnt really have that many issues apart from the reverse side of things and yeh a little bit of a pain going into first. just doesnt seem to want to go in smoothly.

is there a fix to these probs or what?
Usually settles down (or improves) by 15 to 20K so could be an issue in a car still that bad at 70K .

You could try getting a better transmission oil or get some transmission additive added. A few have talked about doing that but haven't heard any direct feedback about the results..   :confused:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
I'm with Dazz(don't say a word db08)if you bought the car from a car yard,take it back and have them fix the fault,if you bought it privately is there any of the new car warranty remaining and have you transfered it,we got two 2011's as Dazz said the earlier I30's are a little clunky in the gearbox, but both ours if you try to rush the shift into reverse they can grind a little, everything I have read the clutch like most modern clutches these days are non adjustable,but hey I could be wrong,because I can't get hold of a proper workshop manual for the I30.
Rick(almost in Perth)
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline dandans

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
I did take it to hyundai and they said i needed a new clutch but i thought that they were pulling the p**s.
its only done 70000.

is there a way to adjust where the friction point lies?
  • i30 diesel

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
depending on the driver 70,000K it is possible for the clutchto be roched,especially if has been owned by someone who liked riding the clutch pedal,if you do in fact have to change the clutch and pressure plates,make sure you shop around,if the car is no longer under warranty, I wouldn't just go back to Hyundai,there are many Good Mechs out there are also many places to get the replacement parts at a far cheaper price
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline dandans

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
cheers Rick. yeh i would do the ring around and see who can give me the best quote for a decent clutch.
  • i30 diesel

Offline komaterpillar

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Toowoomba
my first thought is master cylinder pushrod adjustment. is there any freeplay at the top of the pedal stroke before you can feel it pushing on the throw out bearing?
could be a dodgy cup in the slave cylinder that has let a bit of air into the system.
or could be a bent release fork.

i would first be checking if there is any adjustment in either the mastercylinder pushrod or slave cylinder pushrod.
then check if the slave cylinder is leaking, - peel the boot off the pushrod and if there is any clutch fluid in here its cactus.
if all that checks out bleed the system.
if still no luck you might be up for a clutch  :'(

Offline dandans

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
wow that seems full on. hope it is just an easy fix. but i dont really mind chucking a new clutch in because i got the car for a bit of a steal. ill check it out and let you guys know how i go.

thanks for all the input!

• i30 diesel

Pip
 A worn clutch will move the take-up point further out not closer to the floor. I'm with komaterpillar, more likely to be in the hydraulics.

Offline Hibs34

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Belfast
sounds like the slave cylinder had this happen on my coupe like said in other message pull rubber boot back for fluid easy fix if it is

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal