i30 Owners Club

towbar installation

Offline i30niko

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      ADELAIDE, SA, AUSTRALIA
hi guys,
just a quick question, has anyone attempted a towbar installation on the first generation i30?
how much will it cost getting it installed by a professional and will it void the warranty ?
regards
  • 2010 i30 diesel SX auto

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
hi guys,
just a quick question, has anyone attempted a towbar installation on the first generation i30?
how much will it cost getting it installed by a professional and will it void the warranty ?
regards

I got a mobile fitter in was hundred dollars cheaper than going to a shop,cost me $450
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
forgot to add if you are mechanically inclinded you can do the whole job yourself with basic tools inless than half a day,I'll be doing Cyrils when I buy one for him.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Hman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
forgot to add if you are mechanically inclinded you can do the whole job yourself with basic tools inless than half a day,I'll be doing Cyrils when I buy one for him.

Did you end up installing one for Cyril?

I'm also interested to know if doing this will affect warranty. Does anybody know about that?
  • 2012 Sleek Silver i30cw CRDi 6 Speed

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
It doesn't effect your warranty, as long as you fit one designed for your model i30. I fitted mine, (search for the thread ), not hard if you have mechanical aptitude. The bar I got was sold to me by the Hyundai dealer when I got the car. I went for supply only and through them was around $450. You can find them cheaper too.

What will void your warranty however is exceeding the capacities stated on the towbar sticker.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Hman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I installed the genuine Hyundai towbar today myself with the help of a mate.

It looks perfect, I reckon almost anybody could do it.

It took over 3 hours as we were going slowly.

The estimated times to install on the fitting guides say 45 minutes for towbar and 35 minutes for the wiring - which makes me really annoyed that Hyundai Kirrawee had the nerve to quote $600 for the install.

I'm very happy with it and that I did it myself.
  • 2012 Sleek Silver i30cw CRDi 6 Speed

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
 :goodjob:
Money better in your pocket.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Well done Hman  :hatoff:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I fitted a genuine Hyundai bar to my 2010 diesel (with helpful advice from Hati...thanks!). It was a doddle.

The only nerve-wracking part (from my perspective) was cutting the rear bumper shroud to accommodate the hitch fitting. But if you follow the provided template and have a steady hand it is straightforward.

I was lucky enough to have found a new bar and harness for $330 on Ebay.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal