i30 Owners Club

Recall on brake light switch

kabukiman · 46 · 10198

Offline kabukiman

• 3rd Gear
  • apricot herder

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Hey guys I recall reading about problems with brake lights cutting out and I know Hyundai have been aware of the problem for a little while, I noticed today there is a voluntary recall out on all sorts of models' brake light switches.

This includes first gen i30s built up to may 2012 I believe.  Mine falls in that category.

I think I'll make a trip to the dealer just to be safe.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Beaten by 40 seconds.  :evil: :cool:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Don't be in too much of a hurry. Some owners here have had multiple replacements of their switches and my thinking is if it ain't broke don't fix it. I'd want to know they were using a supplier who actually makes a reliable switch b4 replacing. So far, no problems with ours  :fingers: :Touch: :Knock:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Love the dodgy reporting....

"The company had discreetly begun fitting replacement parts as customers came in with the problem".

Is that not what you do with a car with a 5 year warranty when a faulty part that comes in to be repaired? Nothing discreet about it really.

If they were throwing a new one into cars that weren't faulty as they came in for scheduled service that would be discreetly fitting replacement parts.

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
well yet to have the problem first 08 CRDi 97,000k did not show up with falt with brake lights. & the 2011 CRDi 38,000k today still no brake light problem. if the RTA deem it unsafe you must take it to have check or they can send you a fefect.
Am i a recall Boy? :rofl:
cheers

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
well yet to have the problem first 08 CRDi 97,000k did not show up with falt with brake lights. & the 2011 CRDi 38,000k today still no brake light problem. if the RTA deem it unsafe you must take it to have check or they can send you a fefect.
cheers
I think a recall means they'll replace it on th eoff chance it might fail in the future.
Mine manifests itself with the ESP light coming on on the dash, until I restart the car.

Offline Seoul-mate

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sunshine Coast, Queensland
  • i30 1.6 Diesel (03/08- 09/12), MB B200 (09/12 -->)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
That should keep the dealers busy for a while.
They should have asked us; we could have told them what was going on.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
oh,but they all do it.  :head_butt: :disapp:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
Well I will be checking in for a switch switch.. :rofl:

My ESP hs been playing up of late, ( intermittantlly) so I figure it may well be related, according to the various posts in the forum.

Good question , re who is making the new switch cf the old one !!!    :question:

Still, all in all, Hy has had a good run compared to other manufacturers.... no major recalls!!

Cheers and thanks to all contributors.....its awesome.. :happydance:

• 2016 i30 CW auto

Offline kabukiman

• 3rd Gear
  • apricot herder

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
cheers
I think a recall means they'll replace it on th eoff chance it might fail in the future.
Mine manifests itself with the ESP light coming on on the dash, until I restart the car.

Mine comes on sometimes and I was advised it is very very common and nothing to worry about.

At least Hyundai are proactive and willing to issue any sort of recall, unlike comapnies such as Ford...

Offline simon@mgr

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Ingham, FNQ
My brake lights have just failed and I would not have known about the had not read the article in the Telegraph. Given some of the weather we have had and Gold Coast drivers, a heads up from Hyundai would have been nice.
  • 2008 FD 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6lt, Manual, Grey

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I got the phone call today from the dealer I purchased the car from.  "Your car has come up as needing a brake light switch replaced.  When can you bring it in?"  I told them that I will contact my local dealer to organise a time as I don't live in their state anymore.

Question is, do I have to have a service at the same time, or just book it in for the recall?

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I got the phone call today from the dealer I purchased the car from.  "Your car has come up as needing a brake light switch replaced.  When can you bring it in?"  I told them that I will contact my local dealer to organise a time as I don't live in their state anymore.

Question is, do I have to have a service at the same time, or just book it in for the recall?
They did mine as a standalone job. 10 minutes from driving in to driving out.

ouri30

Like Surferdude, all the replacements we have had were not with a service.  We have had three replaced.   Just dropped the vehicles in, one at a time - I played golf - cars got a free wash.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I still haven't had a chance to take Trish's in yet. (got to find a time that suits Trish and I (and Motors) 
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I read about it here, but have not experience a brake light problem ( like i check each time i drive. )
then this past month i had car serviced & service guy told me they have a recall on the brake light switch & they would do that & could i sign for that too. so i did that. everything still works. then about two weeks latter got letter from Hyundai that they noticed from records my brake light switch still had not been replaced, if i could take car in to a dealer. we that the first letter or notice on this subject Hyundai have ever sent ( they don't have my phone number ) so think someone got onto them about it.
like i read here voluntary now must be compulsory?

ouri30
They have certainly ramped up the recall for replacement.  I've received a letter for a car I've sold.  Admittedly they had a return on the bottom should I no longer own he vehicle.  Then their is the additional $1000 off the new price (from Hy, not the dealer) if you trade a vehicle with the problem.  Think the latter offer has finished, but my dealer phoned and got it on our recently purchased Accent.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I got a letter too from H/A re the switch on the car that I have sold so I've passed it on to the new owner.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Aye30

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
We got 2 letters with the July offer of $1000 cashback. One of the offers also had a free coffee machine offer with a brake light switch affected models. (not sure if it is if you owned one or  purchased a repaired one)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
We got 2 letters with the July offer of $1000 cashback. One of the offers also had a free coffee machine offer with a brake light switch affected models. (not sure if it is if you owned one or  purchased a repaired one)

That is interesting .. didn't get the coffee machine one... :confused:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I wonder if I can get a coffee machine  :exclaim: :mrgreen:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I feel cheated, i should have held out for a freebie  :lol:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Come to WA and I'll buy you a freebie (coffee).  :D
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
You are all heart Dave, thanks for the offer m8.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Is that an open invitation, Dave....... ;)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Is that an open invitation, Dave....... ;)

Sure is.
I was down in Mandurah today actually.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal