i30 Owners Club

Turning Off Diesel Motor - is it ok that its a little rough when it turns off?

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
I've had the car for about 3 weeks and has been great!

Just wondering if its ok that when i turn it off that its a little rough in the sence almost like a stall when its turned off?

This is my first diesel so im just getting used to what is normal with them.

I have a 5spd manual if it makes a difference...

Thanks in advance everyone!
  • 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I don't think there's any rough noise when I turn off the engine.

BTW, you need to update your signature, it still says Elantra...
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
I'm a petrol owner but i have a vast knowledge of diesel engines. you explanation of your engine shuting down when you turn off the key sounds normal too me,a diesel engine doesn't shut down instantly like a petrol engine.
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline bryanj86

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

• Logan, Queensland (i30 CRDi)
Mine has started doing it since I got in serviced last weekend.... I was thinking it was the additive they put in the fuel to clean it... obviously not.
  • 2011 Crdi i30

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
I don't think there's any rough noise when I turn off the engine.

BTW, you need to update your signature, it still says Elantra...

I think its all good. im just new to owning a diesel car. and  true a diesel engine doesnt switch off like a petrol does.

i still have the Elantra and have to say Hyundai took one huge step back with the manual transmission in the i30. its so notchy. the Elantra is smooth and just feels a bit more refined.

sorry a bit off topic.
  • 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline bryanj86

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

How do you mean 'notchy'?  I though in comparison to other manuals i have had (Rav4,Xtrail,Magna) in the past it is perfect and slips into to gear wonderfully...
  • 2011 Crdi i30

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
My FD diesel didn't do this but my GD diesel does.
When I turn it off it is hard to explain, but it feels like it didn't want to turn off or wasn't quite ready.
Also, I am feeling that it is running rough at idle now. I'm just going to keep an eye on it and monitor.
It's tending to blow a bit of smoke on the first start of the day and idles lumpily.
Almost like you'd expect if the glow plugs weren't warm. On my last car it took a few seconds for the glow plug light to go out whereas on this one it's almost instantaneous.
I do wonder if they've done that to appease the petrol drivers, to make it more normal to operate, because there's virtually no warming time at all.  :undecided:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline bryanj86

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

What kind of diesel do you put in it?> Perhaps keep to premium diesel and away from supermarket stuff for a few tanks and see how it goes?
  • 2011 Crdi i30

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I use mainly BP but with the occasional tank of Peak.
I never use the supermarket diesel.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I haven't seen many discuss the glow plug indicator but I stick to how I was trained and always wait for the light to go out before turning on the engine. What you describe sounds like 'Diesling' and I have never had that happen in mine although I had it in my old VH petrol Commodore on a hot day with a rich carby mixture. For my Frugal Firty I always use BP and from a high flow high volume truck bowser.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Same, I have always waited for the glow plug light to go out before starting and I always idle my engine down before switching off.
But my point is, the glow plug light is hardly on at all now - it is virtually instantaneous.
Does this mean that the (same) engine no longer requires you to wait until the glow plugs are sufficiently warm, or, has Hyundai reduced the time that the light stays on to make the car more marketable to the (petrol driven) masses?  :undecided:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
My FD diesel didn't do this but my GD diesel does.
When I turn it off it is hard to explain, but it feels like it didn't want to turn off or wasn't quite ready.
Also, I am feeling that it is running rough at idle now. I'm just going to keep an eye on it and monitor.
It's tending to blow a bit of smoke on the first start of the day and idles lumpily.

Apart from that, it's fine.  :whistler:

To all others, the shut down characteristics of the Diesel engine should not "change". If you think it has changed, then best to have it looked at, IMO.
We know that Diesel's stop due to cutting of fuel supply, so that should be the end of it, no questions asked. I'm told there is a flap that closes the air intake too.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Mine hasn't changed. This car has done this from new - it is just different to my FD.
  • Tertius the i30

ouri30
What kind of diesel do you put in it?> Perhaps keep to premium diesel and away from supermarket stuff for a few tanks and see how it goes?

In SA, Woolworths Caltex stations sell Vortex Premium diesel.  I'm quite happy to use them as a supplier.  The added advantage is that Vortex Premium tends to froth less.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
Same, I have always waited for the glow plug light to go out before starting and I always idle my engine down before switching off.
But my point is, the glow plug light is hardly on at all now - it is virtually instantaneous.
Does this mean that the (same) engine no longer requires you to wait until the glow plugs are sufficiently warm, or, has Hyundai reduced the time that the light stays on to make the car more marketable to the (petrol driven) masses?  :undecided:
the FD had glow plugs as we all know,but does the Gd have glow plugs or a manifold pre heater?  :undecided:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
but it may have a manifold pre heater instead of glow plugs,Alan,where are you when i need your brilliance.  :mrgreen:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
here is a link too some pics of a manifold pre heater,different version of a glow plug pre heater. i first saw diesel engines fitted with these at my old job last year [i used to make diesel fire pumps] .  :wink:
http://www.phillipsandtemro.com/heating_technology/air_intake_heaters.asp

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Not a fan of that idea at all. I'm no mathematician, but there's got to be about 30%(guess) restriction of airflow there. Useless after it's done it's job.  :fum: :fum: :fum: Perhaps someone would like to offer a reasonably accurate guess as to the velocity of air trying to pass through.  :undecided:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
the pre heater is usually in the main inlet port that connects to the air filter box. it heats up like a toaster for a second or two as you spin the engine over.

ouri30
Why doesn't someone with a GD diesel go out and take a look.  There are two bolts that you need to remove in order to take off the plastic cover. You should be able to see the glow plugs and associated wiring.  If not there, look for the intake heater.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
that's why i called for Alan ho in post #16,he knows his way around his Gd.  :mrgreen:

Offline me217

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
i know this is an old thread but just to clarify, the i30 diesel doesn't have glow plugs, glow plugs are only needed in a pre-combustion diesel, i30s are direct injected so no need. they do however have a intake heater of some sort, just to warm the air to air initial combustion on a cold start.

btw i learnt all this 2 weeks ago in tafe, 1st year diesel mechanic apprentice lol
  • i30 2007 crdi hatch

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
:rofl: good one me217 :lol:

It's no longer April 1st you know :P
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Had a look at the link and couldn't see any glow plugs for a Hyundai 1.6 CRDi.  There was a 1.5, 2.0, 2.2.

Try last item in the list on page 1 and third on page 2....  :whistler:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I just had 4 replaced 3 weeks ago under warranty. I think they knew what they were and they called them, "glow plugs"  :exclaim:

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Bah... buy a petrol & use spark plugs instead... SOOOO much cheaper & easier to replace every 40,000 miles or so! :happydance:

"One of the biggest differences between diesel engines that can start without glowplugs and those that need glowplugs is the pre combustion chamber.This is a small chamber in the head of the engine, the diesel is injected into this chamber and ignition starts there.
Engines that can start without glowplugs do not have this extra chamber and are called direct injection engines. Some direct injection engines also have glowplugs to assist the starting.Smaller car engines are normally of the sort that do need glowplugs but big truck engines and some industrial engines used for waterpumps etc do not have glowplugs.
On some engines without normal glowplugs there is one glowplug in the intake manifold together with an injector. While the starter is operated this glowplug and injector is energised. This injector does not work like a normal one but is an electric device. This set up supplies the engine with some preheated diesel in the airsupply and helps the engine to start. You will find this on some tractors."
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
On some engines without normal glowplugs there is one glowplug in the intake manifold together with an injector. While the starter is operated this glowplug and injector is energised. This injector does not work like a normal one but is an electric device. This set up supplies the engine with some preheated diesel in the airsupply and helps the engine to start. You will find this on some tractors."

Definitely NOT the case in the i30.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal