i30 Owners Club

Poor Fuel Consumption New i30 CRDi

vnagappa · 81 · 30660

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Mj i just filled mine had 1,100k on the trip with fuel light on trip pc reading 5L/100k ( could be trying to catch up to city average? as 700k coastal country ) well i brimed it like i did b4 the trip & it took almost 58L, they say there is around 10L in the filler kneck just takes time to fill right up but i'd say if you brimed it you would hit 1,000k as two more 5L close to 200 extra k for you. try it next time.

Offline SPman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NE of Perth

• 2018 i30 SR Man. - Blue
Well, after 5 months and 16,000 km, our readings are coming down. Always fill to the brim (which means dribbling in the last 10 litres). the last 2 tankfuls have been 5.91 l/100 km and 5.72 l/100 km,  a gradual improvement from around 6.2 l/100km when newer. We don't normally exceed 130 kph in the country - usually cruise 100-120 klicks, depending on traffic, speed limits, etc.
Still  210km/day commutes, 70% country 30% city.
On 2 different GPS speedos, the car speedo is pretty accurate -  1 kph out at 110kph  (the Hiace reads 5-6kph slow)- which led to 2 speed camera tickets in the early days.  ( 4 lane deserted country areas in the evening!!!) The odometer is also pretty good, as logged against the GPS.
Also find minimal engine braking - it's a bit like riding a two stroke, so changed driving habits - can't rely quite so much on engine braking and have to touch the brakes more often than I'd like! The cruise control also tends to over run going down hill.
  • 2018 i30 SR Man.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Be happy that there's not much enginebraking.

That just means the tolerances are very fine and everything is running smooth and you're not wasting energy in the engine..  :D
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Which brings up the issue on a long mountain descent in a diesel i30, since there is so little engine braking, what are you meant to do to prevent overheating the brakes?
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Select a lower gear and don't enter the descent at high initial speed.

We have a speed limit of 100 at the top of the freeway into Adelaide, I select a gear lower and decrease to 80 at the top. Air cond on to add a little braking and I can get to the bottom with no brake applications. The brakes are very adequate anyhow, never had a hint of trouble from them.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Which brings up the issue on a long mountain descent in a diesel i30, since there is so little engine braking, what are you meant to do to prevent overheating the brakes?

We haven't got the big mountain down runs like over East more like a bloody big long hill,Greenmount,I can come over the top of that sitting on 80kph(speedlimit)top gear and only maybe have to lightly touch the brakes three maybe four times,in my old auto commodore wagon petrol,unless I slect either drive or second on the auto,go down in fourth drive have to ride the breaks all the way down(almost) when we got our second FD we basically took straight off around Oz 14,500 K's in seven weeks,some damned big mountains over that way,had the car loaded to the hilt never once had a problem with any sort of brake fade on the downward mountain runs
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria

Also find minimal engine braking - it's a bit like riding a two stroke, so changed driving habits - can't rely quite so much on engine braking and have to touch the brakes more often than I'd like! The cruise control also tends to over run going down hill.
Is yours an automatic? If so that'd explain the minimal engine braking.

Mine's a 6 speed manual. I find its engine braking to be quite good, particularly if it's managed using lower gears.

For example there's a tunnel that goes through the city of Melbourne (capital of Victoria here in Australia for our Euro friends). It goes downhill then up again. Has a speed limit of 80 km/h. If I select 5th gear, set the cruise to 80 kays it will hold that speed going downhill and back up again. Meanwhile everyone around me are riding their brakes.
  • 2014 Hyndai ix35 Highlander TD/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Offline SPman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NE of Perth

• 2018 i30 SR Man. - Blue

Is yours an automatic? If so that'd explain the minimal engine braking.

Mine's a 6 speed manual. I find its engine braking to be quite good, particularly if it's managed using lower gears.

Nope - a 6 speed manual. I tend to use more lower gears than before. Perhaps I'm used to the Hiace diesel which, towing a caravan, if I lift off downhill at say at the top of Red Hill (for those who know Perth), will nicely decelerate to the 80 kph zone and also engine brake on the steep downhill sections.
On the fuel consumption front, the last two tank loads have seen averages of 5.74l/100km and 5.51l/100km - getting better with every 1000 km! At this rate, another 20,000km, and it'll be generating diesel!      Now start thinking about refueling at 950km on the odo (the wife doesn't like cutting it too fine)  Perhaps it's because I'm using the cruise control to keep under 10kph over the limit - sitting on 9 points and 18 mths to run to wipe them out - bloody speed cameras at night on our local country rds!!
  • 2018 i30 SR Man.

Offline thommo101

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA

• 2012 GD i30 Active Diesel Manual
I thought I'd add in my perspective of my newly purchased 2012 GD i30 Active CRDi manual.

Picked it up nearly 2 weeks ago, the fuel guage was on 11/12 with odometer showing 30km. The odometer is showing 620km now. Mostly between home (Como) and work (Fremantle) with 1 longer trip to Ellenbrook in there.

So far the trip computer states:
Avg Speed : 39 km/h
Avg Consumption : 4.9 L/100km
Distance to Empty: 140km
Current Fuel Guage: 2/12

I don't particularly trust the trip computer, but at this rate it is estimating over 750km per tank. It will take a few full->empty cycles and monitoring the amount of fuel in versus distance travelled to properly guage economy. But for now I'm happy! In my last car I was getting panicky at 450km looking for a servo.

My driving style so far has been reasonably conservative. But I HAVE been enjoying the whistle (and the pull) that the turbo makes from about 2000rpm at least a few times each journey. So i'm sure I could squeeze a bit more range out of the tank, but that can come later when the excitement of new car wears off :)
  • 2012 i30 GD CRDi Active manual

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

On the fuel consumption front, the last two tank loads have seen averages of 5.74l/100km and 5.51l/100km - getting better with every 1000 km! At this rate, another 20,000km, and it'll be generating diesel!   

:rofl: :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
well filled up two weeks back, had to drive to Berry NSW to visit cousin, was a bit over 200k & had to drive 3/4 hour in Syd traffic to reach the Shire. then the rest of the k's have been in Sydney or shopping, brimmed tank first, i've been driving it just staying with the traffic not slow not fast and shift 2,000 to 3,000 if excellerating she has 40,500k up now u2 6 speed FD ( The best) 930k up on this tank & 280k DTE showing on trip pc seems to be a bit better than my average but not worried. the new Hi Ace petrol auto van i drove at work used heaps no matter how i drove it slow or fast 15L/100k got three brand new ones every few years & always the same. but they looked like a fridge on wheels :rofl:
from my experience, weight, wind risistance traffic road surface ( rough cold mix bitumen or dirt cause more rolling resistance ) tyre pressure ( but only a slight difference, just it all helps ) your driving style like smooth relaxed planing your moves so no hard breaking or hard excelerating, no tail gating or constant lane changing ( just relax and don't try to hard to get there faster ) also the faster your speed on trip the more wind resistance & that can work out like a heavier load on motor. another important consideration is, your Trip pc does not have a brain its just a computer, so going off L/100k is useless if your just sitting in traffic with motor idleing & not moving, a more realistic measure of economy in that type of situation would be total hours motor is runing, so sa L/per Hour as your not moving much but motor runing and useing fuel. in the country you don't have this problem so can get good economy. also another thing is climate if its very cold and you first start up and drive with motor cold they use more fuel till they warm up. i think after two FD CRDi's in 5 years & 140,000k i'm no where near the top of forum, but i have noticed the motor loves 24c it performs at its best at that temp, but no idea if it gets better economy at that temp. but winter months i'd say they use slightly more fuel. Diesels don't seem to warm up letting them idle when you first start up, they warm up under load. mine take a lot longer to warm up in winter than summer, so expect them to use a bit more fuel while they are still cold.
and the bottom line is, that great little CRDi has never let me down yet! love them.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
well i still had something like 150k to 200k left in tank but today i brimmed it, had done 1,000k thats if trip acurate i got 51L to brim & no bubbles ( throth ) filled at a Shell the trip computer was showing 5.1L / 100K so about right, i had not turned the computer off and have left it as is for about the past 3,000k. this tank was about 400k to 500k country & rest in Sydney
& was not always spareing the horses  :)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
 :goodjob2:
I got 1039 kms, filled up today, can't remember without checking but @ 52 litres, 5.1 l/100 kms showing on trip meter.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Excellent result  :happydance: :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
yes i'm happy,
Dave thats good going. how many k's do you have up now?
i've got almost 41,000k up now, love it the six speed shifts great & easy to shift quick. motor feels great too & enjoy driving it. i'll have to see if i can get a test of a new CRDi manual, as they only had auto last time i was there. but was not interested i enjoy shifting gear & useing a clutch.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

yes i'm happy,
i've got almost 41,000k up now, love it the six speed shifts great & easy to shift quick. motor feels great too & enjoy driving it. i'll have to see if i can get a test of a new CRDi manual, as they only had auto last time i was there. but was not interested i enjoy shifting gear & useing a clutch.

Almost 20,000 kms now, John.
The gear change is pretty slick now - can get caught out occasionally first to second with a bit of notchiness and as reported before, occasionally a reluctance to full slot into third or fourth, but that is only very occasionally.
For the most part, it's a really nice gearbox to use - I enjoy driving it.
Come west and you can drive mine.  :D
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
yes i'm happy,

Almost 20,000 kms now, John.
The gear change is pretty slick now - can get caught out occasionally first to second with a bit of notchiness and as reported before, occasionally a reluctance to full slot into third or fourth, but that is only very occasionally.
For the most part, it's a really nice gearbox to use - I enjoy driving it.
Come west and you can drive mine.  :D

hey Thanks Dave, that would be great! i don't know if my gearbox smoothed up with the k's but just noticed lately how  well it is shifting & notice reverse seems a lot more positive than the 5 speed i had, but as they are cable shifts might just be lucky to have right adjustment. but the 5 speed was noyt very possitive selecting reverse, i always had to put a load on the gear then push gear shift again to select reverse, if i never did that i could go bang & throw out of gear, but the 6 speed has been great to select reverse from day one.
i've noticed since 35,000k the motor feels better & think it performs slightly better than my first i30 the Torque curve feels smoother no jerky spots at all

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
I brim mine every time. Get 60l (or close to it) into a 53l tank. On a tank i can drive 800 k plus round town and 1000 k plus on highway. I recon I would do better if Hy let me put Chem Tec additive in the fuel. For members information I do not sell or have shares in Chem Tec it's just that it has served me so well in the past like STP served me in engine oil running Ford Falcon taxis. Had one engine block do 1.2 million k using STP but do not know how it would go in my i30 with the special synthetic oil they use.
  • i30 CW CRDI 1.6l Auto 2011

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
DB08 the high mileage in the Falcons was the engine block only. During the 1.2 milliom k there would be periodical replacement of peripheral items, but not pistons, rings or bearings. These motors were running on LPG and that was also a contributing factor as there was never any carbon build up in the combustion chamber or on top of pistons. I also used STP in my Toyo Diesel Cruiser that had 530,000 k when I sold it and I used STP in that motor from day 1. That 12HT motor was still like new and never burnt one drop of oil towing my large caravan.
I would like to  use proven additives in my i30, both fuel and oil, to extend engine life,  improve reliability,  performance and fuel economy. The Hyundi Dealer has said NO, it will void the warranty, but I will be speaking to the Dealer after suggestions made to me in another post.
I suppose that having run taxis I am tuned to obtaining the best from the machines I employed and this is just what I would like to do with my i30.
 I do not know if STP would be compatible with the oil we use in i30 motors but I will see if I can find out.
  • i30 CW CRDI 1.6l Auto 2011

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I had an AU dedicated LPG Falcon with the "green" engine.
I've mentioned it on here before.
Got 450,000 kms out of it before passing it on to my daughter who later sold it, never had the head off, etc.
  • Tertius the i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal