i30 Owners Club

Scangauge II settings for 2010 diesel

Paolo5 · 8 · 3510

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hi,
I have had my Scangauge II set up in my i30 diesel for almost 3 years and it has worked really well.

Last week I travelled 2,500km pulling a camper-trailer and found that the DTE (Down To Empty) readout showed that my car had several hundred km left in the tank but the Hyundai gauge was flashing, so I filled up. It took 62.39 litres of diesel to brim it! So obviously the SGII reading was well-wrong.

Up until now the DTE reading has been fairly accurate. I didn't change any settings....the gauge just showed a way-off reading. I have used the setting of -29.1% (with tank size of 60 litres) for nearly 3 years now.

At fillup, I adjusted the litres used on the Scangauge II to match the actual litres used. This meant altering the SG setting to -12.8%. On this tankful things were way-off too.

Back home now and I read a previous thread on the Scangauge II which recommended a setting of -35%....so I am using this as a starting point. I also changed the tank-size setting to 62 litres.

I don't use my i30 as much as I used to and (not complaining here) a whole tankful of diesel currently takes me a L-O-N-G time to get through, unless I go on a roadtrip, like I just did.

My current settings are:- Engine 1.6 litres, Fuel Type Diesel a, Cutoff 24, tank size 62 litres and Fuel correction is -35%.

Can members who have a Scangauge II and the same vintage i30 diesel as mine tell me what settings they have settled on?

Cheers,
Paolo

ouri30
Are you aware that when using t he a/c, the Scanguage II fuel usage is not the same as when not using the a/c.  There is no way of rectifying this idiosyncrasy.

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Are you aware that when using t he a/c, the Scanguage II fuel usage is not the same as when not using the a/c.  There is no way of rectifying this idiosyncrasy.

Hi ouri30,
Yes.... I am aware of this phenomenon. I didn't have the a/c on at all during the trip....hardly ever do.

Paolo

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Should run the A/C at least weekly for 5 minutes, to keep the internal seals in the compressor lubricated. :idea:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Should run the A/C at least weekly for 5 minutes, to keep the internal seals in the compressor lubricated. :idea:

Hi Phil,
Thanks for that info....I do that as a matter of course.

Really just would like the settings that someone else has worked-out to try on the off-chance that they will work. As I said previously, my old settings (that I have run successfully for nearly 3 years) no longer work with any reliable degree of accuracy. I am at a loss why it no longer does the job. As I have said, I didn't change any of the fundamental settings. The -29.1% corrected setting always gave me a good indication of kms left before running out of diesel.

I contacted the Australian agent for Scangauge and was told that you couldn't just go back to a previous setting to trim the adjustment for fuel consumption....which isn't what the Scangauge instruction book says. It says that you can move the device from one car to another and just enter each particular car's corrected % when re-installing. The agent just told me to start the trimming process again and in spite of being asked directly didn't comment on whether the gauge could be faulty....or why it has suddenly gone awry in this function.

(The only setting that I HAVE changed (after the trip) was changing the tank capacity from 60 litres to 62 litres.)

Cheers,
Paolo

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
 :goodjob2:

Don't have a scangauge, so can't comment on your problem, it would appear that changing that 1 parameter has caused an upset to the whole device, though I can't see why.

It seems strange that as a group, we cant define the actual capacity of the fuel tank. Officially it's 55 lts recommended, but 60 is common from some members who brim regularly and yours of 62.39 is HUGE. Obviously fiddling with the tank capacity will naturally alter the DTE figure.

I purchased an ELM device from eBay ages ago, never been able to get any decent PC software to interface with it and I don't own an android phone.  :(
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 02:42:50 by Phil. »
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
:goodjob2:

it would appear that changing that 1 parameter has caused an upset to the whole device, though I can't see why.

Obviously fiddling with the tank capacity will naturally alter the DTE figure.

Hi Phil,
Thanks for your reply. The gauge started going ratty BEFORE I changed the fuel tank size parameter....or any other parameter.

Cheers,
Paolo

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia

My current settings are:- Engine 1.6 litres, Fuel Type Diesel a, Cutoff 24, tank size 62 litres and Fuel correction is -35%.

I reset the settings to "Default Settings"  and punched in the above settings (except for tank size, which I made 63 litres). The DTE (Down To Empty) reading and TAV (Tank Average) reading responded to the re-set by becoming realistic...YEAH!!!! :happydance: and will need to be re-calibrated with the next few fillings to achieve an optimum setting once again....which begs the question WTF???? I have no idea why the device suddenly went haywire on these parameters...

Once I have achieved this, I will report back with the correction % that I settle on. Of course, this % will only be true for those who have set their tank size at 63 litres.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal