i30 Owners Club

Chem Tec diesel fuel additive

Lakes · 56 · 23332

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
If any of you guys and girls are getting your cars serviced by Hyundai-proper then you would get the bottle of treatment put in every time you get it serviced. I see it on my bill every time. ??
It's not just Hyundai that do that every car dealer that services have additives programed into the bill. I typed out a list of what I wanted them to do and what I did NOT want them to do. one thing I told them NOT to do was. do not add fuel or oil additives. when I go to pay there is an additive for fuel in the bill. the guy say's don't worry we did not add it, it is just put into the bill auto. I said the reason I did not want additives is I'm not paying for them. so remove that from my bill before I pay. they were going to charge me for something they did not use. what a rip off. all dealers do that no matter what make of car.
it's just like going to Mc Crap & they try to sell you soft drink & chip's even if you only want a burger. American idea to rip you off for more . I don't like things like that but you free to refuse them & refuse to pay the extra
if everyone just pays without question they just keep doing it.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks John,

Very good point and they would pass on the full retail cost not the low wholesale cost they pay  :whistler:

If you wanted to put in an additive, no doubt you would shop around for one of your own choice at a good price!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
With both my previous FD and my new GD cars the dealer never put any fuel additive in and certainly didn't charge me for any.

It must be an Aussie thing.

To be perfectly honest I have never used fuel additives in any of my diesels.  I don't use supermarket fuel and buy all my fuel from Esso, Shell or BP service stations.  I would only use a fuel additive if Hyundai specified it as a requirement
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
Well I must have my 5 bobs worth here.
Years ago when I owned a Toyo Diesel Cruiser 1986 vintage with 12HT motor, I fueled up out western Queensland after floods and experienced for the first time this fuel contamination. Fortunately it did not get to the pump or injectors as I had 3 filters on the fuel path but I did have to remove the fuel tank, replace all filters and flush the fuel lines. Not wanting this to happen again I started to inquire about a product that would prevent this and  it was then that I first heard about and used Chem Tec.  The Cruiser then gave me good service for 450,000 K without needing any pump or injector service and no contaminated fuel. When I sold the vehicle it was still "purring" like my little i30 CRDI. I think the cost of Chem Tec from Super Cheap was money well spent.

If you look here you will see that, from near new, I had problems with fuel in my i30 but this was fixed by the use of Hyundai Injector Cleaner.

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=21396.0

After my i30 fuel problem had been rectified I asked the dealer if using Chem Tec would void the warranty. The reply was that Chem Tec was not an approved additive and should Hyundai find traces of Chem Tec in the tank following any future fuel problems the warranty would not apply. Regrettably this stops me using the additive until after the warranty expires in 2016.  I was told Hy demands a fuel sample for analysis if there are major warranty claims for injector or pump failure.

Before I used this "TOP" product in my Cruiser I ascertained from friends that the ADF use the product, as an additive, in diesel powered ships, machines and vehicles. One particular friend who is an engineer, who served on patrol boats and other type, said they would never have arrived home from Asian ports without Chem Tec as the diesel fuel in most Asian ports is loaded with this fungi. Another friend who served many, many years in RAEME workshops also confirmed the worthwhile use of Chem Tec in  ADF (Army) diesel powered units. This product was also recommended by the local RACQ service provider. By my experience all their comment is proven correct.

It is sad that I am now prevented from using this additive that will do no harm to my i30,  would help avoid fungi contamination, absorb or somehow eliminate small quantities of H2O caused by condensation and make it a better vehicle when or if I trade it on a new i30 prior to 2016 (end of warranty)
I hope my experience mentioned here will assist other i30 owners
  • i30 CW CRDI 1.6l Auto 2011

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Although this comes from Hyundai India, you may still find it of interest in regard to fuel additives, Hornet....

http://www.customercare.hyundai.co.in/subindex_Additives-24.aspx

It may be worth printing off a copy and presenting it to your Hyundai dealer and then ask him again about using fuel additives in your i30... :lol:

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
Thanks Rusty,
I will do as you say and talk to the dealer. Pity it does not mention regular use of an additive like Chem Tec which is used every fill at the rate of 1ml per litre. I would love to use this additive but not at the risk of terminating the warranty for the fuel system particularly when I had problems when it had done under 5,000 k .

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
hey Hornet good post. was that told to you buy a dealer or by Hyundai?
if they tell me that a good aussie product is not good enough, i'll just tell them the car is going & no more Hy's for me as I try to support aussie companys. i'll be checking with the dealer soon. let you know what they say.
just wondering what I could replace her with?

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
The new Honda Civic diesel looks interesting, John...  :whistler:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Well will ask dealer, as i'm going to a Hy dealer now i'm moving, my mate got a new i30 CRDi there & i liked the set up they showed me workshop & the service price was not too bad so next service will ask. not doing as many k's now Rusty so not going for a new one prob just keep this till its about 4 year's then see whats there & what i want i ride the MC a lot now too & pushy. but not worried about Chem Tech as all those happy diesel CRDi owners i know with high k's up can't be wrong & its not Hy who make the injectors i think its Bosch and a lot of the guys i know with 500,000k plus on 4 cylinder CRDi's there motors use Bosch too. so think it's Bosch that would be the ones that dictate what  tests to be carried out if injectors fail as Hy would just claim injectors from them.
but i'm not saying this is true, it's just business logic.
cheers

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
Sorry about the delay advising all about this issue. It was the Dealer who said the use of the product could have the effect of voiding my warranty. When I again asked it was said this was a possibility. I think I will contact Hyundai as I would like to use ChemTec. I have also ascertained that STP is full of zinc and this may not be compatible with the synthetic oil  we  use. Until I have been advised that ChemTec is OK I will not be using it. So far as STP is concerned I think it is a no goer with modern oils but I am not sure.
I think Hy should approve ChemTec for use in Oz in our diesel engines as conditions here  (heat and humidity) promote the growth of the diesel algae.

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
Email I sent to Hyundai this morning
"Will the use of the fuel additive ChemTec void my warranty on my CRDI i30. This product has been used (in Toyota diesel cars) be me in the past and I have found it to be very good. It prevents the growth of the diesel algae as well as assisting to keep the injectors clean. In the hot and humid climate we experience in tropical Queensland I think this additive is essential. I am aware the product is also used by the ADF (Navy and Army) in their diesel powered assets."
I will post any reply I receive.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Hornet  :goodjob:

Offline rumcajs

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Addy, SA
Here's a link for it, whatever it is.

http://www.shell.com.au/products-services/on-the-road/fuels/adblue.html?gclid=CP2q15Dx_rYCFUVZpQodxQYAww

For crying out loud, guys whatever you add to your fuel tank make sure it is NOT Adblue.
That stuff is for exhaust gases emissions after treatment (SCR or Selective Catalytic Reduction) and it is injected in to the exhaust pipe just ahead of special catalyst where it reacts with exhaust fumes and produces nitrogen and water.
When mixed with Diesel fuel it will ruin the fuel system.
Just in case you are wondering what it is, its Urea solution, basically fertilizer originally Adblue is a trade name. In the US its know as DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) and soon Diesel cars will need it too (some already do, VW, BMW, MB)

Basically EURO 6 cars will require all emission tech to pass like EGR, SCR (Adblue), DOC and DPF.
I use ChemTec in my Nissan 4WD and noticeable symptom is fuel consumption about a liter less when I put it in the tank.
I haven't found the courage to use in CrD i30 yet.

Cheers
  • i30 SX MY11

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Absolutely correct, rumcajs. The link was provided so that someone would comment on what it's for.

Do not mix this product (Ad Blue) with your fuel, ever
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Well I must have my 5 bobs worth here.
Years ago when I owned a Toyo Diesel Cruiser 1986 vintage with 12HT motor, I fueled up out western Queensland after floods and experienced for the first time this fuel contamination. Fortunately it did not get to the pump or injectors as I had 3 filters on the fuel path but I did have to remove the fuel tank, replace all filters and flush the fuel lines. Not wanting this to happen again I started to inquire about a product that would prevent this and  it was then that I first heard about and used Chem Tec.  The Cruiser then gave me good service for 450,000 K without needing any pump or injector service and no contaminated fuel. When I sold the vehicle it was still "purring" like my little i30 CRDI. I think the cost of Chem Tec from Super Cheap was money well spent.

If you look here you will see that, from near new, I had problems with fuel in my i30 but this was fixed by the use of Hyundai Injector Cleaner.

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=21396.0

After my i30 fuel problem had been rectified I asked the dealer if using Chem Tec would void the warranty. The reply was that Chem Tec was not an approved additive and should Hyundai find traces of Chem Tec in the tank following any future fuel problems the warranty would not apply. Regrettably this stops me using the additive until after the warranty expires in 2016.  I was told Hy demands a fuel sample for analysis if there are major warranty claims for injector or pump failure.

Before I used this "TOP" product in my Cruiser I ascertained from friends that the ADF use the product, as an additive, in diesel powered ships, machines and vehicles. One particular friend who is an engineer, who served on patrol boats and other type, said they would never have arrived home from Asian ports without Chem Tec as the diesel fuel in most Asian ports is loaded with this fungi. Another friend who served many, many years in RAEME workshops also confirmed the worthwhile use of Chem Tec in  ADF (Army) diesel powered units. This product was also recommended by the local RACQ service provider. By my experience all their comment is proven correct.

It is sad that I am now prevented from using this additive that will do no harm to my i30,  would help avoid fungi contamination, absorb or somehow eliminate small quantities of H2O caused by condensation and make it a better vehicle when or if I trade it on a new i30 prior to 2016 (end of warranty)
I hope my experience mentioned here will assist other i30 owners

Hi again Hornet, just read your first post (link ) & have to thank you for that. When I used chem tech on my first 08 CRDi i30 it was not on every tank it was just once in a blue moon & the chem tech container lasted the 97k before I sold it it was still runing perfect (just as I hit a big roo out west unfortunately  u know the rest )
But I can argue with a diesel expert & know the importance of the fuel pump & the high pressure injectors ( I also wonder how long the injector springs will last runing at these high pressures ) so I'll stop using the chem tech now. What about fuell, will the ultimate diesel fuel effect the pump's life span too & what brand of fuel does the dealer & your friend advice?
I've had to drive two petrol cars one was a Toyota 2.7 petrol manual , the other a hy  i45 auto both towing same trailer (no tow bar on my 2011 CRDi 6 speed ) & I miss my i30 CRDi heaps these other two use more fuel & I seem to be living in my wallet stopping to fill up, also they both get killed on big hill's towing the trailer. The same trip my 08 CRDi towing a trailer would go down & back on same tank & up the hills holding its speed on cruise control. The toyota needed to stop to refill even b4 destination both down & back & it flew on a flat but the big hills killed it. The i45 good on the flat but a few hills in cut cruise off as could not hold speed and needs a refill to go home, my dad who owns it said it would go 750k to the tank but towing the trailer ithasonly gone half that distance & gauge reading a quarter left. On a full tank no trailer my i30 does the trip quicker than the toy or the i45 by 30 min's& goes up & back then for two weeks commuting in Sydney b4 needing a refill.so would be very hard for e to find a replacement at this $ to replace my baby.
Love that ugly little car!
Cheers

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
Lakes thanks 4 your reply. I am not looking for increased performance or fuel consumption by using ChemTec but if this should occur that is great. I am looking to overcome my fear of the Diesel Bug and as a side to keep the fuel system clean.
I have asked Hy in an email for their advice on the use of this product and will post the reply when I receive it. (soon I hope)

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
Just got this reply from Hyundai

"Regarding the use of fuel additive ChemTec in your Hyundai, this will not void your warranty. However should your vehicle experience any issues caused by the use of this product or should ChemTec cause any damage to your vehicle the costs associated to repair your vehicle would be classed as a retail repair.
The new car warranty provided by Hyundai Motor Company Australia covers manufacturing defects only."

Interesting comment from Hy

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for sharing hornet  :goodjob: (seems logical and fair)  :cool:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Just got this reply from Hyundai

"Regarding the use of fuel additive ChemTec in your Hyundai, this will not void your warranty. However should your vehicle experience any issues caused by the use of this product or should ChemTec cause any damage to your vehicle the costs associated to repair your vehicle would be classed as a retail repair.
The new car warranty provided by Hyundai Motor Company Australia covers manufacturing defects only."

Interesting comment from Hy

Thank's  for that Hornet, i think that's about all any car maker warranty covers.
but they can't guarantee against diesel bug eather.

since reading your tip on what your diesel tech friend told you, i'm not putting any Chem Tech or any other diesel additive in. but the dealer i had service at used an additive .
so i have Chem Tech but won't be using it.
car runing sweet.

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
Lakes, I am glad you are now better informed. I also believe Hyundai's reply was fair. Like you I will not be using ChemTec or any other additive in my i30 until it is out of warranty. I now only fill up at high turnover servos (sadly Woolworths) that have Caltex Vortex fuel as I am told this contains an additive to kill the diesel bug. I am not sure that this is factual so I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Pity there is not a primary filter in the line between the tank and the main filter that could be checked at every service.  Something like the one on my old Toyo Cruiser that was in the fuel line under the drivers door. The filter served as a water trap and primary filter that could be drained and inspected at each service interval (No parts or replacement filter required) It was this filter that saved me $hundredsthousands when I encountered the "Bug" some time ago. If I keep this i30 after the 5 year warranty period I will fit another filter similar to the Toyo one, use ChemTec, then not worry about the "Diesel Bug"
And mine also is running like a dream, it's a great car

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hornet, i think you should ask your diesel tech davy service guy about the vortex fuel. as seems, like it keeps injectors clean like most additives do & that means it could possibly wear fuel pump seals too. all i use is BP as guarantee there fuels. i also like the products Redline manufacture as i use them in my MC's & have pulled motors apart & looked inside a few times since runing Redline. they make a product for diesel fuel to lubricate fuel pump seals. just i've never used it , probably should as plan to keep this i30 CRDi till it drops dead i figer you can't loose that way.

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
Lakes I thank you for your advice. Prior to my problems here https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=17620.0 I was using BP only. Since changing to Caltex Vortex  I have had no problems. Admittedly the fuel may not have been the problem but the little 1.6l motor, now up to 32,000k is running like clockwork on Caltex so I am reluctant to change. Perhaps I should contact Caltex and ask about their additives in Vortex.
Your plan to run your i30 till it drops is good economic reasoning. I wonder what the little beasts will be good for? Would I be wrong in suggesting  somewhere between 300,000 to 400,000k if they are well maintained ?

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Lakes I thank you for your advice. Prior to my problems here https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=17620.0 I was using BP only. Since changing to Caltex Vortex  I have had no problems. Admittedly the fuel may not have been the problem but the little 1.6l motor, now up to 32,000k is running like clockwork on Caltex so I am reluctant to change. Perhaps I should contact Caltex and ask about their additives in Vortex.
Your plan to run your i30 till it drops is good economic reasoning. I wonder what the little beasts will be good for? Would I be wrong in suggesting  somewhere between 300,000 to 400,000k if they are well maintained ?

Hornet i ran caltex only on my first i30 CRDi & it loved it always ran better on it, but my new ( two year old ) i30 CRDi FD 6 speed manual is not as fussy it runs good on the BP this one has the U2 motor & my dealer that service my car last month said its same motor & gear box as the new GD model.
well as to how long it will last your guess is as good as mine, but first thing that will go will be rather the fuel pump or the injectors i'd say. i know one guy with a MB sprinter Van 2.2 CRDi manual 650,000k still going on original injectors & fuel pump also original clutch & gear box he is a very good driver. just uses shell oil runs on Mobile Diesel as said thats cheapest he can get not sure if he uses any injection cleaner i think he once said he has used Wynnes diesel additive but not often as he is cheap.
but that van smelt fumey but hey it was still runing.

Offline ttc

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Browns Plains, Brisbane

• 2016 GD i30 crdi
Just to bump an old thread..

Before I bought my diesel i30, I had a diesel accent for 2 years and I got diesel Algae in the tank. The car was filled up every 2 weeks from the same servo, but of course they didn't want to know about it and I don't go there anymore. It cost me $300 to get the tank cleaned out and the car was never the same after, even when I recently traded it it was making a funny coo noise in the back.
I started using Chemtech after that, and it will always go into my i30. Happy to know Hyundai have said it's not banned :)

• 2013 Active Crdi

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
thanks for your input ttc,
well a lot has happen since my last post & the closest BP for me now is too far out my way. but if i go to Sydney i get BP. if i don't it's Mobil . i have a full container of chem tech & if you were close you could have it.
i now go to a Hyundai Dealer in a country town as close. so they see a & sell a lot more diesel's. service manager put additive in to stop algae said was hyundai. it's on my records. also have all fuel dockets with outlet & date. i recommend you keep your's too. then if you have a problem, you have some type of record to show Hyundai let them sort it out as you have done all you possibly can.
i saw trucks that stood around & only saw a 500m trip each night inside yard, then a 40k trip once a month & 15 years old no diesel Algae issue, then i started to use the truck & found it was not serviced for 5 years, so boss booked it in. i also saw brand new vans go 30,000k before first oil change. not under my control, just mentioning this. & the van ran perfect for three years no problem. but was driven a lot of k's, so that can help.
also as i have posted in past a few guys i know have done some high k's on common rail 4 cal diesels , two of them did around same k's at one time, one guy used diesel additive & only BP diesel, the other never used an additive at all & used Mobil diesel, when asked reason he said that was the cheapest  he could buy of the big brands. guy who used BP & an additive got to 500,000k trouble free, then injectors needed replacing. Guy who used nothing & ran on mobil diesel got to 800,000k plus on original injectors original clutch & manual gear box & drove in sydney CBD  but when sold the Van last year it was ready for new injectors, buyer knew this but was happy to buy as van was in top condition never an accident 250,000k from rear tyres (double wheels ). the owner driver was a top operator!
just mentioning this but not claiming we can imitate this i think need to do lots of k's each day to do this, also be a good operator not a cowboy.
 :)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal