i30 Owners Club

2011 i30cw auto diesel: 2nd year information

noob · 44 · 12227

Offline noob

• 2nd Gear
I got my car serviced today. And the cause of high fuel consumption might have been identified: the tire pressure (of front tires).

I didn't get the figures of the before-service tire pressure. But the service guy seemed to think it's quite serious, or at least obvious. My wife said she noticed the front tires' obvious deflation a while ago, too. The service guy implied that the tire pressure might be the cause of high fuel consumption.

After the service, when I tried to describe the driving of the car, the word 'responsive' popped into my mind. The controls, especially acceleration and steering, were easier and responded quicker. The feeling of being dragged back when accelerating, especially when in low gears, was gone.

How much better can the fuel consumption be is unknown, yet. We'll see.

The service also found another problem. Front wheel alignment is needed. My wife once bumped into and knocked down a kerb. That might be the reason. My parking sometimes got the front wheel squeezing the kerbs. I'm sure if it worsens the situation. (Please let me know if or not if it does.) The service guy denied that it'd be a cause of high fuel consumption. I'd like to know your opinions, please.

The front wheel alignment was not done today. How much does it cost normally? (Sorry, I guess the question belongs to another forum, but creating a thread dedicated to ask this simple question seems to be too overwhelming.)

By the way, some funny stories to share, the service guys said "it is impossible to drive 1000KM with a tank" and "people just make things up". They also said my fuel consumption was extremely normal and no problem at all before the service, though they didn't explicitly admit the fuel consumption is abnormal after service.

Cheers,
noob

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Gee must have been low... I believe under inflated tyres and bad alignment would both have a negative effect on economy but only time will tell how much.

If you shop around I believe you can get a wheel alignment for $80 or less. Our tyre guru should be along soon.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Underinflated tyres create a larger contact surface and higher rolling resistance. That translates to extra fuel usage, no questions.

Front alignemet, unless it is REALLY bad, will not have much if any effect on consumption. It will scrub your tyres quicker, but.

Have a go at brimming your tank too, just so we get a good baseline to dissect your consumption.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
My low fuel light came on today after 1017km.  I am currently at 1090km, and will fill up tomorrow on the way to work.  I did brim it, though.

Having your wheels out of alignment will increase your fuel usage slightly, but the tyre pressure definitely will.  Surferdude will have some better information on what pressure he runs.  I run 38psi in mine, which gives me a good balance between fuel economy and comfort.

Offline noob

• 2nd Gear
Thank you all for the quick replies.

The service guy said the tyre pressure was set to 3.2 to 3.6. Do you suggest I pump it up? By the way, just so you know how noob I'm with cars, I just learned tyre pressure can be measured in some gas stations. :sweating: I still need to learn where I can pump the tyres. :sweating:

The service guy showed me the difference between front tyres and rear tyres, especially the inner part of the tyres, after the service. It's noticeable more coarse at the rear, especially the inner parts. (In the service, they exchanged the front and rear tyres.) Is front wheel alignment related to it?

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
No, that one is tyre rotation. It evens out tyre wear between the driven and non-driven wheels.

Wheel alignement adjusts suspension components to bring the angles on the wheels to within manufacturer specs.

• 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline noob

• 2nd Gear
No, that one is tyre rotation. It evens out tyre wear between the driven and non-driven wheels.

Wheel alignement adjusts suspension components to bring the angles on the wheels to within manufacturer specs.
Sorry I don't quite follow you.

Are you saying that the coarseness of inner parts of front tyres is caused by abnormal tyre rotation rather than abnormal front wheel alignment?

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

Sorry I don't quite follow you.

Are you saying that the coarseness of inner parts of front tyres is caused by abnormal tyre rotation rather than abnormal front wheel alignment?

No, it's the wheel alignment. If you don't get the wheel alignment done the other tyres will look like your rear ones.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I got my car serviced today. And the cause of high fuel consumption might have been identified: the tire pressure (of front tires).

I didn't get the figures of the before-service tire pressure. But the service guy seemed to think it's quite serious, or at least obvious. My wife said she noticed the front tires' obvious deflation a while ago, too. The service guy implied that the tire pressure might be the cause of high fuel consumption.

After the service, when I tried to describe the driving of the car, the word 'responsive' popped into my mind. The controls, especially acceleration and steering, were easier and responded quicker. The feeling of being dragged back when accelerating, especially when in low gears, was gone.

How much better can the fuel consumption be is unknown, yet. We'll see.

The service also found another problem. Front wheel alignment is needed. My wife once bumped into and knocked down a kerb. That might be the reason. My parking sometimes got the front wheel squeezing the kerbs. I'm sure if it worsens the situation. (Please let me know if or not if it does.) The service guy denied that it'd be a cause of high fuel consumption. I'd like to know your opinions, please.

The front wheel alignment was not done today. How much does it cost normally? (Sorry, I guess the question belongs to another forum, but creating a thread dedicated to ask this simple question seems to be too overwhelming.)

By the way, some funny stories to share, the service guys said "it is impossible to drive 1000KM with a tank" and "people just make things up". They also said my fuel consumption was extremely normal and no problem at all before the service, though they didn't explicitly admit the fuel consumption is abnormal after service.

Cheers,
noob

I got 998 out of mine once, I could have done 1000, but I couldn't be bothered doing a lap around the block to get there.

FYI the new i30 tourer diesel (with the new 6 speed auto rather than 4) was getting 7.5/100 around town in a recent review though I suspect they weren't driving it for its economy.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline noob

• 2nd Gear
Just did wheel alignment in Tyrepower Camberwell with $65.

The owner tried to sell tyres to me. He said my rear tyres were bad, wouldn't last long, could blow up, etc. I didn't buy it since the Hyundai service didn't say I should change tyres. There was noticeable wearing. But trenches are still there. What do you think?

What's the normal standard of replacing tyres? How long normally do tyres last?

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
It really depends, on the back they don't wear much, as they don't do any work. The front is where the action happens, bearing the brunt of the acceleration, braking and steering. If you don't rotate, some have reported 30,000k from the front tyres.

It really depends on your driving style, where you are driving and how you take care of them.

At the end of the day, if they are above the tread line, then that's all that matters for me, others will replace them earlier. It comes down to choice.

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
For the record, the "trenches" are grooves or threads on the tyre. These are the bits that divert the water away from under your tyre so you don't aquaplane, i.e. float on the top of the water uncontrollably. Having said that, you hit a patch of water fast enough and you will still aquaplane.

If you pay close attention, you will notice dimples in the tyre grooves. Those are the wear markers. When the outside surface of the tyre reaches the top of those dimples, you need to replace your tyre.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
http://www.wikihow.com/Know-when-Car-Tires-Need-Replacing
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/checking-your-tires-for-wear.html
http://www.jaxquickfit.com.au/when-to-replace-worn-tyres

I didn't see in the post anywhere if anyone asked how many km on the vehicle? That has a bearing on potential tire wear and engine economy since folks here report economy improves after about 10000km. I still think your reporting normal range fuel consumption for mostly round town driving from my experience.
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Best I've ever achieved is 5.2 l/ 100 and that wasn't over a full tank, so 1k would be unachievable for me. I'm quite happy with 5.2 for an auto.  :happydance:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal