i30 Owners Club

DIESEL FUEL TESTING?

jaspa · 9 · 3617

Offline jaspa

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      S E Queensland
Hi All,
Does anyone know if there is a reliable "in workshop" test to prove fuel "is contaminated with
Algae/diesel bug " in a (2008 i30 1.6crdi) that has done 127,000 ks,has never had any "driveability" issues and has never suffered any of these symptoms (listed below)nor had any of these symptoms reported at servicing intervals(from new and also including up to time of this post).

This is a bulletin off NZ hyundai regarding
Algae contaminated fuel:"vehicle performance problems range from intermittant lack of power,rough running and engine hesitation to increased fuel consumption,eexcessive smoking and stalling"and I presume that the filter(s) would clog up and car stops due to no fuel.

I would have thought for proof positive a fuel sample would have to go to a lab for testing?
Advice and thoughts appreciated

Thanks
Michael
  • 2008 i30 crdi

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Pretty sure Hyundai can test fuel, (for the purpose of eliminating warranty claims, probably).

Possibly, motoring shops may stock a test kit.

Here is a link to an additive to protect from Diesel bug.

Neither this forum, nor I, have any affiliation with the company. Having said that, I use it in my cars.

http://sdrv.ms/Z6UKx2

• 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
On a light-hearted note....I have read that when you smell algae-infected diesel fuel it has an odour akin to that of an outback toilet just after ya mate Big Bruce has dropped a big bundle after a night out on the turps....

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline jaspa

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      S E Queensland
Phew,
after investigating my fuel filler ,it smells like diesel! invigorating : )
Since it is in regard to a warranty claim, and Hyundai have already decided that
I have contaminated fuel it is unlikely that I would be willing to supply a sample to them...

Phil,how do you find the additive?

Has anyone had or know of anyone with this problem (bug)and if so how does the car perform?
Does it just drive as normal with no starting or running issues?
In my previous post I should have added that everyday i have to drive up about 2kloms of 13%
gradient (steep!) and my car accelerates up this

• 2008 i30 crdi

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I find the additive on the shelf, where I last left it.  :snigger:

Seriously, I've never encountered Diesel bug, so all I can report is the the cars are running fine. The additive is used as insurance against ever acquiring the bug.

I believe, over time that water through condensation is inevitable. The bug needs the presence of water to exist, so if water is removed by the additive, the bug can not grow. :neutral:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Seriously, I've never encountered Diesel bug, so all I can report is the the cars are running fine. The additive is used as insurance against ever acquiring the bug.

It sort of reminds me of the guy who was walking around Trafalgar Square, spraying some sort of liquid out of a dispenser.
Another bloke watched him for a while, trying to work out what he was doing but in the end it got the better of him so he went over and said to the guy, "What are you spraying?"
The guy said, "It's elephant eradication spray."
The other one said, "But there aren't any elephants in Trafalgar Square??"   
To which the first guy replied, "Oh I know, it's good stuff." 

• Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
It must be good stuff, then.  :lol:

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
I had a bad experience with diesel bug years ago. It was in a Toyo Cruiser that towed my caravan all over Oz.  I had been stranded by flood waters in western Queensland for about a month, there was heavy rain and high humidity just what the "Bug" likes. This Bug must have been born in my tank or introduced by a refill from contaminated pumps. Lucky I had three fuel filters installed prior to the fuel and injector pump otherwise this would have destroyed the injector pump and possibly the injectors.
The symptom I experienced was gradual loss of power until the first two filters, clogged with algae, prevented any fuel flow and the engine stalled. I had to remove and replace all three filters (two complete body and all), remove and clean the fuel tank, flush all fuel lines. This removed and killed the algae that was like tar, black and putrid. The Cruiser was OK after this work but it was recommended by the RACQ agent to use ChemTec diesel additive at the prescribed rate. This I did and never had any more trouble with the Bug.
  • i30 CW CRDI 1.6l Auto 2011

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal