i30 Owners Club

I Have One Of These (rattle in the dash)

Doggie 1 · 24 · 14552

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

It seems to be coming from the driver's side front. I have checked everything I can think of, dash panels, vents, switches, keys, sun visor, seat frame, instruments, mirror, sunglasses holder, etc. I've even checked my pockets and my undies in case there was something rattling around in there.  :disapp:

It comes and goes but appears to be getting worse but I'm at a loss as to what is causing it.

Not happy though on a car with only 12,000 kms on it.  :(

And I still have the glovebox rattle because I haven't done anything to fix it yet, so when on the highway I'm driving with it open.

I am also still having issues with its reluctance to (sometimes) slot into third and fourth gears, that the dealership wasn't that interested in.

They don't build 'em like they used to.  :lol:
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 06:48:58 by db08 »
  • Tertius the i30

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
no rattles in my two 09 FD i30s.  :winker:  what about some Gd owners out there,other than Dave.  :sweating:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I didn't have any in my FD either so it's a bit disappointing.
But having said that, I'm not about to knock the GD because it really is a vast improvement in so many areas over the FD.
I do wonder what the build quality of the forthcoming i30 Tourer will be like though, as it is not built in Korea.  :undecided:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I asked the same question a few days ago.  :undecided:

If you wan't your rattles sorted, remember, if it's to be, it's up to me.

You'll have to use your detective skills to work these out, let's see.

- Does it rattle on bumps or all the time.
- Is it a buzz or clunk.

Not familiar with the GD but remove the plastic under the dash and see if it's improved.

Rick, you're good at this stuff, what's going on here  :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Finally got a response to my email to Hyundai re my rattle.

Thank you for taking the time to contact Hyundai Customer Care and provide the opportunity to respond.

Apologies for the delay in our response and hope it has not caused too much inconvenience.

We are sorry to hear that your Hyundai i30CW is not performing to your expectations.

The Hyundai new car warranty supplied with your vehicle does not cover noises or vibrations of low amplitude or frequency which are considered to be a representative of the characteristics of the vehicle.

Unfortunately Hyundai Motor Company Australia are unable to meet your request to cover the creeks mentioned in your correspondence under warranty.

Once again thank you for contacting Hyundai Customer Care and providing the opportunity to respond. Should you have any further enquiries please do not hesitate to contact Hyundai Customer Care on 1800 186 306 or email customercare@hyundai.com.au.

Kind regards,

They have received a polite but firm email requesting definitions of  low amplitude, frequency which and representative of the characteristics of the vehicle.

I pointed out a creak that continues for an entire Brisbane - Gold Coast trip is neither low frequency or representative of the characteristic of the vehicle (given it is not evident on the cars I test drove or my wife's vehicle).

Should keep them busy.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

It sounds like keys rattling, but it's not.
Not there all the time, but it's not just on bumps either.
I've removed the fuse box cover but it made no difference.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Get some of this stuff behind the dash..

(click to show/hide)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
shambles I don't recommend that option  :rofl:,I know why the glovebox rattles,I haven't fixed mine yet but I do know how to fix it,I have temporailly fix it with a micro fibre cloth folded in thirds and hung of the top of the glovebox before closing,added benefit,I always have a cloth to clean the windows.

as for your other rattle this could be a multitute of things,it's annoying but it is a process of elimination, I found the last one,but that was due to the under dash being pulled out and nothing correctly being put back in the right place,but I'm not going there again :argh:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline sootytorques

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
I had a similar noise & it was rear view mirror (replaced under warranty)

Offline rickai

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Hurstville NSW

It seems to be coming from the driver's side front. I have checked everything I can think of, dash panels, vents, switches, keys, sun visor, seat frame, instruments, mirror, sunglasses holder, etc. I've even checked my pockets and my undies in case there was something rattling around in there.  :disapp:

It comes and goes but appears to be getting worse but I'm at a loss as to what is causing it.

Not happy though on a car with only 12,000 kms on it.  :(

And I still have the glovebox rattle because I haven't done anything to fix it yet, so when on the highway I'm driving with it open.

I am also still having issues with its reluctance to (sometimes) slot into third and fourth gears, that the dealership wasn't that interested in.

They don't build 'em like they used to.  :lol:

I'm experiencing very similar symptoms as you are... and i'm at 14,000km at the moment. This rattle seems to be right below the windscreen and around the suspension area of driver side. It doesn't come up all the time, only occasionally when I drive fast over the speed bump or some pothole. It's pretty weird as well, it doesnt make the rattling sound while the car is going up and down from the pothole/speedbump but rather it only makes sound AFTER the car stabilizes. Sorry for recovering an old topic but I just want to know if you had any solutions to it so far. I'm due for 15,000km soon, hopefully the dealer can fix it by then.  :(

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I had this rattle until the car approached the high teens and then it disappeared of its own accord.  :D
I couldn't trust the dealership to find it as they weren't even able to find the obvious stuff so I ended up putting up with it.
Thankfully though, it seems to have gone. Fingers crossed and good luck with yours.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Talking Hoarse

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Winchcombe, Glos
Me too - my UK spec /Czech build 2010 CRDi auto is plagued with buzzes & rattles.  Mostly since dealer replacement of instrument cluster, steering column & radio (all separately) but now most recently since door catch repaired.
And yes - I empty all the stuff out of the car to test, and when attending the dealer - as early life I could resolve some buzzes by removing coins etc.
Some rattles are stopped when I press hard on various dashboard trim panels.
I fear  this does suggest poor quality control by Hyundai, not helped after any dismantle /reassembly.  But I am reluctant to pursue further with dealer - I will try to find ways into the dash panels and sort myself.  Wont use that foam though.
Ed

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
My previous 2012 GD i30 was completely rattle free but sometimes there was a whining and moaning from the passenger side when I drove a little sportingly. My new 2013 Tourer in its first 700 miles has not got any rattles or creaks - just the same occasional whine or moan from the passenger side.

I can fix it by turning off my left hearing aid.................. :rofl:.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
carefull Alan,you'll jinx yourself about having no rattles.  :snigger:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Gobstopper fixes the whines and moans,once you have inserted the said Gobstopper,make sure you tape the entry hole up,to make sure the said gobstopper does not dislodge  :rofl:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I've have NO rattles in both cars
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Steve i30

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Hampshire
Hi All,
My 2009 i30 had quite a loud buzz/rattle which sounded like it was coming from inside the dash, but with a little detective work I found it was the rear view mirror mount as mentioned a few posts back!
a small piece of insulation tape stuck on the base mount solved the noise completely!!
Cheers, Steve
  • 2009 i30 style in vivid blue

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Thanks Steve.
Mine does go away though when I open the glove box so pretty sure that's it.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks Steve.

Still living with that Dave.. Get some small self adhesive rubber pads from the Reject Shop or such today.. Might make it a little harder to close but should fix the rattle  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I had a buzzing sound in what seemed to be around the glovebox area when car was new (eg less than 500km) when I drove on VERY coarse bitumen.  Problem disappeared, however.

1.  Could it be the E-tag - these are notoriously buzzy things and a bit of blu-tak can fix it.

2.  Don't give up with HY, though. Their explanation is unacceptable as the car is not like this when new, nor is it part of wear and tear. New Oz consumer laws (as 2011) are great and they should not back away from their responsibility.  As an example, Nissan said they will fix rattles and creaks up to 5000 km - so at least they aclnowledge under warranty - so there is a kind of precedent that you can draw on to push HY.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Thanks Steve.

Still living with that Dave.. Get some small self adhesive rubber pads from the Reject Shop or such today.. Might make it a little harder to close but should fix the rattle  :goodjob:

Yes, unfortunately I have got a round tuit.  :disapp:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rickai

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Hurstville NSW
Got mine fixed the other day I went back to Hyundai. They got rid of the knocking sound on the driver side and made my suspension better than the first day I got it. It was a loose sway bar according to them.  :happydance:

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
Speaking of rattles my car had this loud knocking sound coming from the engine bay when it was at idle.

Turns out that the bonnet itself was rattling. Press down on it and it stopped.

Doesn't appear to be an adjustment thing as the bonnet wasn't "loose" or anything.

Can't seem to hear it at speed, though.
  • 2014 Hyndai ix35 Highlander TD/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal