New Diesel GD run-in and fuel consumption

melfes · 16 · 4550

Offline melfes

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      sydney
Hi All,

Any tips on diesel engine run-in?

Also I experience some fuel consumption thingy with my trip computer advising a staggering avg. 11 L / 100KM !
I reckon as a diesel by all means it shouldnt get this high and also the fact that I dont race the car always accelerate gently.
Even at a stage I was doubting if I got a petrol  :undecided:
Is this a new car thing (just done 110KM) or... any thoughts?

Cheers
  • i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
That is quite high, it depends on what kind of driving you have been doing. Peak hour driving will of course build up the consumption figure. Was the car filled at purchase and your trip meter completely reset.

Diesel engines have huge lifetimes and as such, take a long time to loosen up, so don't panic yet.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

ouri30
I note you are saying that you have only done 110km.  This by no means enough to gauge the fuel consumption of a vehicle. If the driving has been stop start slow driving, I am not surprised. When I fill up and drive around town, I've seen figures like that.  Get out on the open road, drive a few hundred km, and then get worried if things haven't improved.

For example, I filled our ix35 today, drove here and there in Murray Bridge, stopping to do a range of shopping.  When I left to drive home, consumption was in the mid teens per 100km.  When I got home, after 65km on the open road, consumption was down to 7.5 l/100km.

Hope this helps.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I'm guessing that the trip computer hasn't been reset so it really has no meaning.
Reset the trip computer at your first fill and the consumption read-out will come down.
Enjoy the diesel.  :goodjob:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline melfes

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      sydney
Thanks for all above replies !!

After reset, the avg dropped to 7.6L, which is acceptable n making sense

Yea currently Im using it to commute. Thinking I should give a highway trip on the weekend for the engine to run-in better?

However, as this car is bought for daily use i.e. lots of commuting, anything I should heed to prevent sludge build-up?
  • i30

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

:goodjob:
It's on the way down.
When you have a day off, refill the tank, reset the computer and go for a nice country drive, stopping for lunch on the way.  :)
It will do your car good and will also bring the average down further as well as giving you a nice day out.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline melfes

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      sydney
It's on the way down.
When you have a day off, refill the tank, reset the computer and go for a nice country drive, stopping for lunch on the way.  :)
It will do your car good and will also bring the average down further as well as giving you a nice day out.

True and sounds g8  :P

As for the fuel fill-up, reckon its better to do after running out most of the current/factory juice, as I intend to use premium all the way in the future and maybe not good mixing up?
  • i30

Offline melfes

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      sydney
Btw I just realised you cant get the speed displayed digitally. What a shame...with all the techs and computerised stuff
  • i30

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

It's on the way down.

As for the fuel fill-up, reckon its better to do after running out most of the current/factory juice, as I intend to use premium all the way in the future and maybe not good mixing up?

I'd probably run the initial fuel out first if it was me.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline melfes

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      sydney
It's on the way down.

I'd probably run the initial fuel out first if it was me.

gonna do so!
  • i30

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline melfes

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      sydney
Fuel avg 4.9L/100KM FOR 290 odd KMS I reckon pretty good!

A problem If I can get some ideas:

The boot interior lamp is not working. Yet other interior lamps, room lamps front and rear seats are fine.

Looking into the manual they share the same fuse so seems like its not blown fuse..?
  • i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Probably best to have it fixed @ 1500k service, rather than tamper with it yourself.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline melfes

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      sydney
Turned out to be faulty switch on the boot lock, i.e. sometimes when I opened the boot the computer doesnt show this in the dash so no power supplied to boot lamp.
realised when this morning the light turned on so cannot be bulb. then opened n closed a few times to have the culprit revealed.

Pressing hard might help but definitely not normal
Bummer just  two weeks... :'(
  • i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal