i30 Owners Club

LED turning bulbs

Offline marcelo_pe

• 2nd Gear

• cl Chile
      Santiago
Hi all

I'm considering replacing the rear stock turning/indicator bulbs for these LED ones:

1156 150-Lumen Car Brake/Turning Signal Yellow Light Bulbs with Optical Lens

Would you think they're a good alternative? Anything else I should consider electric-wise?

My major project here is replacing the whole tail lights with those OEM LED lights from South Korea. I'm saving money for that and willing to experiment a bit in the meantime.

Much appreciated.
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 1.8

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
You will most likely need an electronic flasher unit as well. The standard fitted flasher unit expects a significant load (the actual lights), to make it flash at the correct rate, if at all. Led's use such little current the unit will not flash correctly. There are road rules regarding the interval of off / on ratio. The electronic units are available on eBay.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
The load is expected in the form of an appreciable current, which heats the bimetal strip in the electromechanical type of flasher unit until it disconnects and the current stops flowing. It then cools and makes contact again.

The electromechanical type is an old design  - typically you can hear the metallic twang of the strip as it flexes off and onto the contacts - and I hope that Hy is using a transistorised unit instead. If you're not sure, try the LEDs anyway, no harm done in trying.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
If they use electronic flashers, they must have some beeper on it because I can hear mine (that sound like the bimetal type) just fine. 2011 CW.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline marcelo_pe

• 2nd Gear

• cl Chile
      Santiago
Thank you everyone.

I'm surprised my i30 uses an electro-mechanical flasher. It has the feel and sound of an electronic/transistor one. Anyone knows where to confirm this?

Anyways, once the bulbs are here I'll let you know guys. That will happen like in 30 days from now (DX is really slow delivering to South America).
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 1.8

Offline marcelo_pe

• 2nd Gear

• cl Chile
      Santiago
Confirmed -  My 2013 i30 uses electro-mechanical flasher and flashing rate is very high with the LED bulbs.

Also, the bulbs are too pale and could not match the nice amber color of the incandescent bulb.

Not proceeding with this for the moment.

Thank you, guys.
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 1.8

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :ta: :disapp:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline marcelo_pe

• 2nd Gear

• cl Chile
      Santiago
Ok, one last doubt.

Where can I find the current flasher unit? I'll maybe try one last time (if I find proper amber LED bulbs)
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 1.8

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
On eBay, as previously stated. You don't want the current flasher unit, you want an electronic flasher unit. Make sure the device is marked suitable for LED'S and the terminals are configured the same as your existing flasher unit.

Offline marcelo_pe

• 2nd Gear

• cl Chile
      Santiago
On eBay, as previously stated. You don't want the current flasher unit, you want an electronic flasher unit. Make sure the device is marked suitable for LED'S and the terminals are configured the same as your existing flasher unit.
Thanks Phill. Sorry, with "current" I meant "actual" or "as of today".  :lol:

I want to know where the thing is installed on my vehicle.

I already found the device on eBay.
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 1.8

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Here's the location on the FD model, I doubt that it is much different on the GD.

Flasher Unit.pdf - Google Drive

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Yep, that rapid flashing you're seeing is like panicked, shallow breathing for the bi-metal unit. The transistorised version will be a much higher output impedance, meaning it will care a lot less about how small the current draw will be. Its behaviour is governed by its design using a timer circuit and not the cyclic heating of a strip relying on current. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline marcelo_pe

• 2nd Gear

• cl Chile
      Santiago
Yep, that rapid flashing you're seeing is like panicked, shallow breathing for the bi-metal unit. The transistorised version will be a much higher output impedance, meaning it will care a lot less about how small the current draw will be. Its behaviour is governed by its design using a timer circuit and not the cyclic heating of a strip relying on current. :victory:
Thanks guru!

Also thanks to Phil for that guide!
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 1.8

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal