i30 Owners Club

Any of our members still riding their pushy's?

Lakes · 420 · 84372

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Bike upside down, tighten 1 every 90 degrees. spin the wheel, and use some cardboard on the tyre to indicate eccentricity, then tighten the rest and check again when finished.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Bike upside down, tighten 1 every 90 degrees. spin the wheel, and use some cardboard on the tyre to indicate eccentricity, then tighten the rest and check again when finished.

Cheers.

Keep this for future reference
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
@ Lester

Good move.. You can buy and switch the brake blocks and some of the other stuff fairly easily yourself!

I can do all they were suggesting.

it was just that i need the wheel to be realigned properly as at least 90% of the spokes are loose.

If only a couple loose i would have replaced the broken one myself and tightened the loose ones.

I think it was worth it to get the wheel done professionally  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Not related to riding bicycle but I was in CBD Sydney yesturday & saw two pushy padlocked with hefty chains & locks & a printed notice plastic tyed to them, they had been impounded .that would cost a bit! Does anyone know any other city's in Australia or other parts of world they do this?
Not a cheap place to ride a pushy! How would you feel if you road a pushy for a pint or a cup of tea or a coffee, put pushy out the way against a metal fence & you return to find it impounded :disapp:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Australia is getting less like the old Australia, each day.

In the 50-60's no one would be concerned.

In the 70-80's Someone would have nicked 'em.

90's+ = Bikes impounded.  :disapp: :fum:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Not related to riding bicycle but I was in CBD Sydney yesturday & saw two pushy padlocked with hefty chains & locks & a printed notice plastic tyed to them, they had been impounded .that would cost a bit! Does anyone know any other city's in Australia or other parts of world they do this?
Not a cheap place to ride a pushy! How would you feel if you road a pushy for a pint or a cup of tea or a coffee, put pushy out the way against a metal fence & you return to find it impounded :disapp:

Why impounded?

What law have they broken?

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
So true Phil.
Thankfully we still have places out there that's still the old Australia we loved just few & far between.
I saw a guy down circular quay arrested for feeding sea gull's, not cop's falt a city ranger told them to arrest the guy  :disapp:

Eye I don't know why they impounded the pushy's might be a law against leaving pushy's against fences in the city? They might have put special bike racks somewhere & made a new local law you can only leave a bike in a rack or on private property? The rangers in Sydney run a tight ship. So you need to check all the rules & regulations all the time. I have not worked in the CBD for about year & a half. So not up to date.

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
So true Phil.
Thankfully we still have places out there that's still the old Australia we loved just few & far between.

One of my students last year (a young 67 year old) told me that Tassie is like the rest of Australia, only 20 years ago, and in a good way.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Always enjoyed my work visits to Tas. Only thing I didn't enjoy was the drive to the top of Ben Lomond.  That was a scary drive.  :Shocked:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
When I first went to Tassie, about twenty five years back, I drove around it with a friend that lived there, we slept in back of a van, had no food or drinks with us. & always had trouble finding a place to eat was not many resturants or cafe's. We had to go into pub's , some of those pub's way back in the hill's  :eek: but loved the experience & the people in General were very friendly. My friend was telling me all the way around Tassie about the size of the oysters & he knew where to get them, I'm asking where I had to wait till we got back to Huonville & he took me to a place we filled up a bucket of oysters , another bucket of Tassie scallops drove home & his wife made a seafood chowder was the best!  Now I see scallops sale @ $56 kg so don't think I could experience that again. Also he knew an abolone diver & he cooked me Abolone but now in Sydney that costs an arm & a leg.
Hope. Tassie stays like that .
Cheers

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Eye I don't know why they impounded the pushy's might be a law against leaving pushy's against fences in the city? They might have put special bike racks somewhere & made a new local law you can only leave a bike in a rack or on private property? The rangers in Sydney run a tight ship. So you need to check all the rules & regulations all the time. I have not worked in the CBD for about year & a half. So not up to date.

Here bikes are chained to anything that wont move,
I.e. Lamps, road signs, fences, in addition to purpose built bike stations

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Ah, still in the 70-80's 'eh  :snigger:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: Phil №❶
Ah, still in the 70-80's 'eh  :snigger:

Leave Lester's wife out of this :lol:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :-[ :snigger:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Why impounded?

What law have they broken?
Can't find anything which would explain this. Maybe Rusty can research further.

I suppose it's possible they were considered to have been restricting pedestrian access in a dangerous manner.

This would indicate you can attach them to pretty much anything - from a NSW Gov't handbook for bicycle riders.

Lock it up

You can avoid theft by securing your
bicycle when it
is unattended.

Carry a good bicycle lock and ensure that
you secure the wheels and the frame.

Try to use bicycle parking facilities when
they are available.

If you are leaving your bicycle for a longer
period of time, consider removing the
front and rear wheels and pairing these
with the frame. Always lock your bicycle
to a permanent fixture that cannot be
manipulated to remove the lock.

Remove all non-fixed items, i.e. lights,
panniers, pumps etc.         
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

ouri30
Got the bike today.  It's in great condition, new rims and hubs, new seat.  Boy those hydraulic disk brakes sure pull you up quickly.  The gear mechanism is the smoothest and simplest I've ever come across?

Only managed a few laps around the verandah thus evening as it's been raining heaps here today. Have had 28mm in less than 12 hours.  Hopefully I will take the bike for a short ride on the weekend, weather permitting.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Did some research on some bike forums and I came across this photo which led me to this....

24 Removal of obstructions from public areas

(1) The Authority, or a ranger or police officer, may order the removal of anything which obstructs or encroaches on a public area.

(2) The order may be given to either or both of the following:
(a) the person who caused the obstruction or encroachment,

(b) a person using the thing causing the obstruction or encroachment.

(3) A person to whom such an order is given must comply with the order.
Maximum penalty: 20 penalty units.

(4) The Authority, or a ranger or police officer, may remove the obstruction or encroachment whether or not an order for its removal has been given under this clause.

(5) The Authority may recover from either of the persons referred to in subclause (2) the Authority’s reasonable costs and expenses incurred in removing an obstruction or encroachment.

(6) This clause does not apply to a motor vehicle.

(7) This clause does not apply to an obstruction or encroachment if its presence in the public area is authorised:
(a) by the Authority, or

(b) by the person or body in whom the public area is vested, or

(c) by or under the Act or any other Act,
and its presence has not ceased to be so authorised.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Big syd is watching!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks Rusty!

@ Lakes ..

When you asked "Any of our members still riding their pushy's?" I doubt you expected around 140 replies and counting!  :eek: :victory:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Did some research on some bike forums and I came across this photo which led me to this....

24 Removal of obstructions from public areas

(1) The Authority, or a ranger or police officer, may order the removal of anything which obstructs or encroaches on a public area.

(2) The order may be given to either or both of the following:
(a) the person who caused the obstruction or encroachment,

(b) a person using the thing causing the obstruction or encroachment.

(3) A person to whom such an order is given must comply with the order.
Maximum penalty: 20 penalty units.

(4) The Authority, or a ranger or police officer, may remove the obstruction or encroachment whether or not an order for its removal has been given under this clause.

(5) The Authority may recover from either of the persons referred to in subclause (2) the Authority’s reasonable costs and expenses incurred in removing an obstruction or encroachment.

(6) This clause does not apply to a motor vehicle.

(7) This clause does not apply to an obstruction or encroachment if its presence in the public area is authorised:
(a) by the Authority, or

(b) by the person or body in whom the public area is vested, or

(c) by or under the Act or any other Act,
and its presence has not ceased to be so authorised.

That's it Rusty but the sign had Impounded at the top,they must have put these warnings & the owns must have ignored them.
But they were chained to a metal fence standing up & side on, would not obstruct the public might have been an in loser used by the council & could have been in there way?
But Sydney has a lot of rules & regulations I forced, lot of rangers too, so know the rules & your ok. Break them & it will cost you$. I would say that will cost $ or a court case, someone has to pay a ranger to get the key remove the lock.
I'll stick tomy seniors card when in Sydney CBD $2.50 all day public transport bus train & ferry love it.
Please use imagination reading this, I'm tapping on a tablet, & spell correct changed the words too tricky to go back with a tap in right place so bare with me :disapp:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Got the bike today.  It's in great condition, new rims and hubs, new seat.  Boy those hydraulic disk brakes sure pull you up quickly.  The gear mechanism is the smoothest and simplest I've ever come across?

Only managed a few laps around the verandah thus evening as it's been raining heaps here today. Have had 28mm in less than 12 hours.  Hopefully I will take the bike for a short ride on the weekend, weather permitting.

Bob sounds great, the juice disc's are good, I road some cable mechanical disc Giants mountain bikes & they needed a lot of effort to get them to stop like my bikes rim brakes do. The gear shift depends on how good components are, some use better gear sets , mine shifts smooth & quick & shifts down past a row of gears in one push. The more you pay the better the gear set, but on flat I'd prefer a fixed drive bike as can have chain & gears lined up perfect all the time, & easier to service. Only need gears for hills.
Keep chain lubricated to keep it shifting smooth.
Good buy there!

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
well i got some fatter big profile tyres & fitted them to my flat bar racer, just got home, and road down near beach over some sand seems about same but slightly softer ride just can't ride through soft deep sand as loose control & sink into it, but doubt even a mountain bike could ride along or over loose soft sand but if someone does please inform me.
road along pash this morning before breaky. just have to wait for next group ride.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
well i got some fatter big profile tyres & fitted them to my flat bar racer, just got home, and road down near beach over some sand seems about same but slightly softer ride just can't ride through soft deep sand as loose control & sink into it, but doubt even a mountain bike could ride along or over loose soft sand but if someone does please inform me.
road along pash this morning before breaky. just have to wait for next group ride.
Bit dangerous that. Kissing as you ride along. :whistler:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Bit dangerous that. Kissing as you ride along. :whistler:

Lol Trev, just noticed that, it's the dreaded spelling correction, ameriacan dictionary i'd guess. i meant road along the path or cycleway.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Weather dry, no wind so off out today to burn up a few miles

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Been on a 15 mile ride today.

Decided to use the bike i've just had the rear wheel respoked and centred and must say it was a pleasure to ride.

It is a 17 yo saracen and so lightweight compared to the bike i was using previously.

Now that the weather is improving i'm going to make sure i do at least 1 ride, may be more if i have the time, a week up to easter so i can then do the long curcular ride, 60-70 miles, around eastertime.

Those interested it is cycle route 56 from chester to liverpool. I'll start at wallasey and do reverse of the route detailed here,

http://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map/route/route-56

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Decided to use the bike i've just had the rear wheel respoked and centred and must say it was a pleasure to ride.

It is a 17 yo saracen and so lightweight compared to the bike i was using previously.

Now that the weather is improving i'm going to make sure i do at least 1 ride, may be more if i have the time, a week up to easter so i can then do the long curcular ride, 60-70 miles, around eastertime.

Those interested it is cycle route 56 from chester to liverpool. I'll start at wallasey and do reverse of the route detailed here,

Route 56 - Map | Sustrans
Chester is nice. We stayed for a few days near there in 2000 at a little village called Huxley.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

good luck enjoy your ride , i'll be going for a ride after, took my motorbike for an 80k ride for lunch yesterday loved it.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Route 56 - Map | Sustrans

looks like a good ride, i've never ridden 70miles , longest  i've ridden was 80k along the M7 cycleway & return was when that motorway first opened

« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 21:11:47 by Lakes »

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Went with the group on a 22k ride my racer made me work twice as hard as the rest, try riding a ridged frame high presser skinny tyre bike fast down a big hill on a dirt road with corrugations its like an out of control jack hammer :rofl:
then had to ride along two beaches , first one ok as hard pack sand, second one could not do, one guy gave me a try of his Giant with Fox rear shock & Fox forks that was easy he could not ride mine at all. but i like doing things hard way the u get a specialised bike and its real easy. i have tried a few bikes and think the Trek Xcaliber 8 seems ok for me.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal