i30 Owners Club

stop start not working

Offline Dexterwolf

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Stafford
I have brought a i30 on Saturday and love it. The only thing is the stop start does not seem to work. Just says deactivated I have driven about 30 miles straight in it today but still did not work. Also the but to turn it off was on. Has anyone got any ideas?
  • i30 1.6 Diesel

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I have brought a i30 on Saturday and love it. The only thing is the stop start does not seem to work. Just says deactivated I have driven about 30 miles straight in it today but still did not work. Also the but to turn it off was on. Has anyone got any ideas?

:wttc: There is heaps on here about that. Check your manual about all the conditions in which it is disabled. Temp under 4 degrees, low battery charge, etc...

Effect of ISG (Auto Stop Blue Drive)

Just put ISG in the search function for more threads..  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Is it a new or used car? Petrol or diesel?

Either way if it has been left standing unused for a while, the battery may not be fully charged.  I bought a used car last week and did more than 100 miles - and still the ISG did not kick in.

I charged the battery overnight (using a proper battery charger for stop and go cars) and the following day the ISG worked straight away.

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dexterwolf

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Stafford

Either way if it has been left standing unused for a while, the battery may not be fully charged.  I bought a used car last week and did more than 100 miles - and still the ISG did not kick in.

I charged the battery overnight (using a proper battery charger for stop and go cars) and the following day the ISG worked straight away.

It's a diesel second hand so has bn out probably not driven for a week or two. I will leave it a week or two and then drop it into dealer if its not coming on then.
  • i30 1.6 Diesel

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

It's a diesel second hand so has bn out probably not driven for a week or two. I will leave it a week or two and then drop it into dealer if its not coming on then.

The dealers may need to keep the car overnight if they give the battery a proper deep charge. ISG batteries are AGM type (google AGM Battery) and can be damaged by being hit with voltage spikes or being charged at too high a voltage. Most trolley jump starters can seriously damage an ISG battery and they are expensive to replace - £150 to £250.  The Hyundai 5 year warranty has some limits - one being that batteries are only covered for 24 months.

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
The stop start thing sounds like a pain in the neck and best turned off in any case.
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline Dexterwolf

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Stafford

It started to work a couple of days ago. Was at some lights and thought I had stalled it at first :head_butt:. You were right I think it just needed a few days of use and its working a treat. Feels great to drive a bit less poke than my TDI golf but I can't complain its a top motor  :D

• i30 1.6 Diesel

Offline tohis

• V.I.P

• fi Finland
      Liperi

Let's trade our cars between us!  :lol: It's bad luck that those who don't like ISG will get the best working ones, and vice versa. Anyway, in addition to low temperature, insufficient battery charge level is the most common reason to ISG not working.

There has been varying quality in the original AGM batteries fitted by factory. I guess I got very good one because even after very cold week of -25C the ISG got me 'busted' immediately when the temperature rose to 2C. I have a small voltmeter plugged into the cigarette lighter socket for monitoring the charge voltage. The smart charger system seems to work as described in the manual because voltage varies from 13 to 14.7V. Sometimes it goes as low as 12.7V, probably because my battery is so fully charged.
  • 2017 Toyota Auris Hybrid Touring Sports, ( Ex 2013 i30 GD Wagon 1.6CRDi 6MT )

Offline gidster

• 1st Gear

• england England
      Mansfield, Nottinghamshire.
i read somewhere that its best to turn the auto start option off if you are just doing short journeys,is this correct?
  • hyundia i30 1.6 CRDi 110 Blue Drive Active

Offline gidster

• 1st Gear

• england England
also with my car being in the garage for repairs for about 3 weeks,should i ask them to give the battery a charge?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Assuming the car starts, the ISG will gradually begin to function as the battery charge returns to normal voltages, is it THAT important  :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline gidster

• 1st Gear

• england England
thats ok then.

yeah it is important to me,if its a function on the car i want it working.And anyway i quite like it.Its new to me as none of my past cars had it in,minght get bored of it and i minght not.

need my car back now,its doing my head in :disapp:

Offline gidster

• 1st Gear

• england England
been out in the car for a good hour and the the damn stop start never worked,just kept saying deactivated.thinking i minght take it back to hyundai and see what they can do.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

If the battery is well charged it is possible that the DPF is regenerating. This takes a drive of about 20 minutes at motorway speed or about 20 miles on average.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
"Stop Start" seems to be a good name for this feature.  :snigger: :head_butt:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
"Stop Start" seems to be a good name for this feature.  :snigger: :head_butt:

:rofl:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline gidster

• 1st Gear

• england England
how often does the DPF regenerate itself?

Offline tohis

• V.I.P

• fi Finland
      Liperi
how often does the DPF regenerate itself?

It will do it about every 500 kms, or more often if you're doing short trips. There's no direct indication of when it's regenerating, but you can see it from increased fuel consumption; also it will then not drop to zero when coasting with gear on. When driving slowly or stopping, you may also notice the stink coming in, which is similar to burning rubber or something.
  • 2017 Toyota Auris Hybrid Touring Sports, ( Ex 2013 i30 GD Wagon 1.6CRDi 6MT )

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal