i30 Owners Club

Recommend a phone holder for me please

marabak · 16 · 11967

Offline marabak

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Liverpool
Hi guys

Two weeks into my i30 experience and I am loving every minute (apart from the near death experience on my first night where I cut across three lanes of oncoming traffic due to traffic light confusion, but that's another story).

I recently purchased a Bingsale 360 degree Rotatable Universal Car Vehicle Air Vent Cradle Dock Mount Holder* from Amazon, largely because I wanted a vent based phone holder and it was available on Amazon Prime next day delivery. As a phone holder, it works perfectly, holds my phone securely yet happily gives it back to me when I have finished with it. The arrangement can be altered so that the grips that go into the air vent fit the vertical vents I have in my 2008 i30 SE whilst still holding the phone at the right angle.

However, it is far too bulky to go on the air vents on the drivers side of the car (I have my phone plugged into the charger simultaneously for GPS related stuff and I'd rather not have the cable draping over the steering wheel so the door side vent is a nono also). So, I placed it on the passenger side air vent next to the stereo system. It grips perfectly, but unfortunately the vent itself (with it being vertical) has a habit of moving, swinging the phone in the other direction towards the passenger seat. It's not the end of the world, as usually I can just reach across and swing it back to me, but sometimes (for instance going around a large roundabout) this isn't something I want to be having to do.

Does anyone have any recommendations on either an alternative airvent based holder that prevents the vent from moving or even a solution to my current holder (i.e. maybe some way to lock the direction of the vertical air vent). My current phone is a Nexus 4 but I will be looking at the Nexus 6 if/when it comes out, so it doesn't need to be the biggest holder as they aren't anywhere near Note sized phones.

*that's the full description, as I cant post an Amazon link at work

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I use one of these for my Nexus 4 and it's brilliant.

:link: CD Slot Mount for Sat-Navs etc.

• Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
This is what I used before I bought a Garmin <snipped - link no longer valid>

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
I use one of these for my Nexus 4 and it's brilliant.

:link: CD Slot Mount for Sat-Navs etc.

I also used this mount, although I used it for the Sat Nav.  Alan concern was that the sat nav might be too heavy and cause it to be unsafe.  His fears were totally unfounded solutly rock solid and safe as houses  :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline marabak

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Liverpool
Cheers guys. I'm not too keen on a suction arrangement, in case it leaves marks and/or loses suction (an experience I've seen with sat navs quite often).

The cd-slot holder is definitely something I will look into though, I didn't realise that they existed :D

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
This is what I used before I bought a Garmin <snipped>

Is the grip go still working well, Craig  :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Alasama

• 5th Gear

• tw Taiwan
      Taoyuan County

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
This is what I used before I bought a Garmin <snipped - link no longer valid>

Is the grip go still working well, Craig  :question:
Sure is :)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I delivered power to my top pocket mounted GPS by running a cable from behind the cigarette lighter through a $5 USB power adapter. You can do the same and go back to your original arrangement without the exposed cable. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline smedic

• 1st Gear
Kenu airframe from Apple is the best, it is around $30 but it is portable and is very stable go to apple to check it out "free delivery" too....

Offline tohis

• V.I.P

• fi Finland
      Liperi
I have a Brodit ProClip holder for my navigator and I'm happy with it.

:link: Brodit ProClip Mount and Car Cradle Holder Shop

These come in two parts, first one specific for your car, and the another one specific for the device. There's no need to drill any holes to the dashboard for fitting them.
  • 2017 Toyota Auris Hybrid Touring Sports, ( Ex 2013 i30 GD Wagon 1.6CRDi 6MT )

Offline frankenzstein

• 2nd Gear

• ca Canada
:link: iOttie Easy One Touch 2 Car Mount Holder for iPhone 6 (4.7)/Plus (5.5) /5s/5c, Samsung Galaxy S5/S4/S3/Note 4/3, Google

This is the one I got, its amazing, it will never fall off. I have never seen a suction cup stick so well, even to rough surfaces. Just hope you don't want to remove it :D
  • 2014 Elantra GT SE Tech (i30 NA version)

Offline i30niko

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      ADELAIDE, SA, AUSTRALIA
Guys,
I use Logitech TRIP is magnetic very strong, holds my note 4 with ease! Can't go wrong
  • 2010 i30 diesel SX auto

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
If you are perfectly happy with the current location, then an accurately cut plastic clip to slot between the vent blades and settle against the side of the vent to preserve the desired angle wouold be my next move, a bit like inserting a door wedge, only sideways.

Offline AleM

• 2nd Gear

• es Spain
      Malaga
Guys,
I use Logitech TRIP is magnetic very strong, holds my note 4 with ease! Can't go wrong
A magnet sticked to the phone? GPS works?

I don't know if you use GPS,GLONASS or what. I mean the locations services, I thought it didn't work with magnetic fields near..
  • 2013 GD 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6lt (110CV/81KW), Manual, Steel gray

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
GPS is a satellite based radio timing system, nothing to do with magnetic fields. :victory:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal