Author Topic: HOW TO: replace door cable (drivers door will not open from inside)  (Read 38502 times)

• england England
Thanks, nzenigma.

I just hope I don't break the black plastic clips when freeing up & refitting the external handle mechanism.
I may get away with not replacing the broken white plastic part - as I say, it does not seem to matter that it is no longer connected to the steel panel.
  • 2011, i30 Comfort CRDI, 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6lt, Manual, Red

• england England
Job done!

Clarification for those who follow after:

The screw on the right is through an open-sided hole in the door panel, so it is only necessary to loosen it. The gubbins behind then slides to the right and disengages from the door. The little black clips on the left that I was worried about just slide off, so no risk of breakage.

This allows the entire latch assembly to come out. I propped it on top of the inner panel for ease of working.

To unclip the white plastic moulding which secures the cable it is necessary to cut two slots. A small screwdriver can then be poked in, tip angled away from the cable centre. Rotation of the handle away from the centre moves the driver tip towards the centre, compressing the barb underneath. This must be done for each side, while wiggling the moulding until it comes free.

The final step is to pull the cable inner down until the spherical nipple is visible at top left of the aperture and a plate with a small hole slides into view. Insert a small screwdriver in the hole to prevent the mechanism from springing back up, then wiggle the cable to get the nipple out of its recess. Insert the nipple of the replacement cable in the recess and allow the plate to rotate back up while maintaining some tension on the cable inner. Finally, clip the new plastic moulding into place.

• 2011, i30 Comfort CRDI, 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6lt, Manual, Red

• Laughter is the best medicine. .
  • au Australia
    Devonport Tasmania
  • Best Car Forum on the Net
 :brilliant:  :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • MY18 PD SR & 2019 Kona Active 1.6T  (prev owned 3 other 130's incl a diesel)

• gb United Kingdom
    Loughton, essex
I came up against the very same Problem this afternoon I got the other panel off disconnected the window Tiptoes be operated position removing the metal inner door  but cannot for the life of me get the locking mechanism removed as it still connected to the outside handle I could see a screw coming through the door from the outside but I have no way of disconnecting the handle to actually get up at  The screw to loosen it
 Can anyone help me please
  • i30 cdi 1.6 diesel

• au Australia
    Samford Valley
I have no way of disconnecting the handle to actually get up at  The screw to loosen it
 Can anyone help me please

Mate you have to be kidding.  :wacko: :wacko:

Only because you said please.... :scared:....

I confirm it is still the 8mm bolt behind the rubber grommet , inside edge of the door.
I also believe after unscrewing it, the outer handle still comes free ( after 4 years of reporting this fact here)  :crazy1:

:Ouch:  = last time !!
  • Every FD model; BMW Z3 M; Mitzi Magna(mobile office)