accim · 29 · 9871

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Hello,

I think I might have a problem with my turbine. The car is working fine and goes like always, there is also no smoke coming out from the exhaust, but lately I've noticed (well I've been hearing) a "whistling" sound from the engine - turbine. I'm not sure, but if I recall correctly that noise was not present before.

You can especially hear it when the engine is cold (on 1,500 - 2,000 rpm), when the car (engine) gets warm it's much less noticeable, but you can still hear it. And I can mostly hear that noise only when I open my window and drive very slowly. When I drive 50kph, the sound of the engine gets "too loud" and you can't hear the "whistle".

So..does your turbo make some sound?

I think the reason for my problem might be that the engine had been chip-tuned (from 90 hp to 115 hp), even though I've tuned my previous car by the same tuner (which is by the way one of the best in our country) and I had none problems. I've been also driving my i30 VERY CAREFULLY and I've never driven it fast or hard when the car was cold, nor did I turn of my engine right away after a fast or even slow drive. I'm really one of the most careful people when that's concerned  :)

Oh and my i30 has now 30,000 kms and is only 7 months old.

I've even filmed the sound, hope you can hear it. Here's the link, hope you can watch it:

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

So..does your turbo make some sound?

Yup.

Last couple of days I've been driving with the window down and can certainly hear the whine as the turbo winds up.

I've even filmed the sound, hope you can hear it. Here's the link, hope you can watch it:

Yep - same sound as Fergie - nothing to worry about :)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Do you have the air conditioning on and if so does it stop when you switch it off?
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Mine does the same thing.. Didn't used to be able to hear it but can now around the 2000rpm with window down..

Don't reckon it is a problem ..

Couldn't hear it on your video though...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Aha..so it's not that horrible. I've been also driving with the windows down lately, that's probably the reason I can hear it and probably I'm just too paranoid  :-[

I'll try film it once more, but it's not that easy to hear.. Sometimes I'm afraid that I'll soon hear things that are not even there  :)

Thanks, I feel much better now..

Bumpkin: the A/C is off..

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

• Was Crystal the i30 SR, now Courtney the Getz-tacy
a bit of a whistle/whine from the turbo is fine, and they all do it. Nothing to worry about. I think it sounds cool actually!  :wink:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Same here.

Like a boosting sound as the revs hit 1500 rpm
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
Yep, mine makes the whistle around 1200-1500

Offline reecho

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA

Offline freakzoide

• 2nd Gear
You can have your 90bhp engine with 115. There are no mechanical differences.
i've had some problems with the "plate" (join?!?!), between the exhaust manofold and the engine block.

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz
Yep, mine makes the whistle around 1200-1500

The sound before the storm !!!!

Offline Victim

• 1st Gear
My car has a loud whistle that can be heard easily with windows up, My last I30CRD did 65K and had no noise at all, The service guy told me it was noise from the turbo and to just monitor it. it is pretty annoying but ill get a few more Kms up before hitting them up for a new turbo.

Offline paul

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Brighton
Mine is that quiet i wonder if it is working ?
cant say i am over impressed with the power i thought it would go better than it does,
considering it's a 1600 turbo!

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Mine is that quiet i wonder if it is working ?
cant say i am over impressed with the power i thought it would go better than it does,
considering it's a 1600 turbo!

Do you have the 2011 Classic model? It has the 90PS version of the engine.

Offline paul

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Brighton
Do you have the 2011 Classic model? It has the 90PS version of the engine.

Yes Lorian I do, but i still expected it to be a little more responsive,
especialy as my last car was only a 998cc toyota yaris,

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
spool noise FTW people pay thousands of dollars to have it! i even had the mufflers removed and took the cold air snorkel off so you can hear it

but seriously, if its excessive, more than a faint whine above idle and through the revs its probably worth keeping an eye on, and possibly getting it fixed,

BUT just remember they do spin at speeds up to 150,000 RPM so its going to be making a little bit of whine!

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
I've driven the "new" (that's U2 engine) 1.6 CRDI engine with 90hp a month ago (or smth like that).

I must say it runs much more smoothly..well, maybe not much more, but there's definitely some difference.. And I didn't hear any "whistle" (though it had only about 5,000 km on the clock so that's probably the reason).

Oh and, I see I've started this thread more than a year ago (June 2009). Let me report on it now (Aug 2010). For now, the car is still running great (knock on wood). It has around 70,000 km on the clock and that sound is still present, but the intensity of it is about the same. So I guess it's all good for now (hope so :) ) I've also read somewhere, that a lot of (or even most) turbo diesels get that sound around 20-30k km's and that it is "normal".

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
mines had a whistle since new... although not excessive...

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
no bells or wistles on mine that i know of :lol:

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
These Turbo whistle or "siren" noises provoke discussion on impending doom for all makes to be honest...

My previous car was a 1.9 MJet diesel, I had it re-mapped at 32,000 miles from 130Bhp to 193Bhp, the car always whistled & was still merrily whistling at 74,000 miles. Dont worry, you'll know if or when the turbo fails..
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
if the turbo fails, then its heaps of oil smoke or/and no boost!

Offline paul

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Brighton
well I've now done 3000 miles, and i must admit its getting better, more power and more responsive, i can now hear a Little turbo whine, but i like the sound lol.
i can honestly say i am impressed with the drive, the power steering is the best responding of any car I've had, and the whole driving experience is well balanced and easily controlled.
I am well impressed with everything about this car and hope it continues!
80 mph at 2500rpm is only ticking over and i am loving it.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

well I've now done 3000 miles, and i must admit its getting better, more power and more responsive, i can now hear a Little turbo whine, but i like the sound lol.
i can honestly say i am impressed with the drive, the power steering is the best responding of any car I've had, and the whole driving experience is well balanced and easily controlled.
I am well impressed with everything about this car and hope it continues!
80 mph at 2500rpm is only ticking over and i am loving it.

Great stuff Paul  :mrgreen: (they are a mighty little car...)

Offline stkman

• 2nd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Auckland, NZ

• 2008 1.6 cRDi manual Elite in Stone Black
An older thread but thought I would post my experience.

Bought my i30 at 17,000km, no noticeable turbo whistle. Gradually, a whistle developed. Have done all servicing as required with top quality oil (supplied to the dealer). Noticed a rusty acuator on the turbo so pointed it out befor the last service (75,000km). They took photos, sent to Hyundai and I have just had the turbo replaced. With the latest design they told me and yes, it does look a little different.

They noted when I picked it up that the 'old' one had a whistle. Asked if that meant impending doom but they couldn't say whether it did or not! No whistle now with the new one and no difference in performance either. I will keep on servicing as I have done. I rarely exceed 2000 rpm (a spin up to 4000rpm a couple of time a week to keep things working) and let it idle for at least a minute before switching off. If the whistle is a sign of impending doom, I don't know how I could alter my servicing schedule to stop it!

My previous car was a 2 litre turbo diesel Toyota ... bought at 50,000km whistling and sold at 200,000km still whistling and no issues. Will see if this turbo unit develops a whistle. Would like to know what causes it!

Andrew
  • 2008 1.6 manual diesel Elite

Offline Alasama

• 5th Gear

• tw Taiwan
      Taoyuan County
whistle sound starts from 1500rpm, not a problem at all. really enjoy that sound every day.   :whistler:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Our CRDi had a faint Whistle if the window was down .. Most long term i30 CRDi owners seem to notice a whistle if they listen hard enough .. I don't think it is a sign of impending doom..(Just my opinion of course)

Like Alasama I liked the noise (if anything wouldn't have minded it being a bit louder  :rofl:)

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
LOL!!! i removed the intake 'snorkle' and deleted the muffler to get more turbo noise!!

Offline goralns

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Sussex
Hi All because of  this noise I have my turbo replace in  3 time in one year time first turbo blow up second after 8 months have loud noise From turbo and I have 3 one fitted My annoying i30 since last year spend more time   In delete garage then I have actually drive it . I thing Hyundai should now replace my car for new model with no cost cos of so many problems with my  turbo What do you think ??
I 30 08 plate 44000miles on  clock

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi All because of  this noise I have my turbo replace in  3 time in one year time first turbo blow up second after 8 months have loud noise From turbo and I have 3 one fitted My annoying i30 since last year spend more time   In delete garage then I have actually drive it . I thing Hyundai should now replace my car for new model with no cost cos of so many problems with my  turbo What do you think ??
I 30 08 plate 44000miles on  clock

Hi goralns.. Sorry to hear of your ongoing issues  :undecided:

They are a quality Garrett Turbo with what appears to be a very low failure rate (from feedback on here and elsewhere on the internet) Would make me suspect there is another factor at play??

I'm guessing they have investigated possible causes each time and ruled out the user (you) and the Oil used?
Have they given you any feedback to a possible root cause?

What sort of driving conditions is you car mainly used in? Motorway Cruising/ Slow city traffic ??

Looking at your limited posts and location I see you live in the UK so unlikely to go much faster than 80 or 90 MPH ?

Did you get go faster stuff for you Red with Stripes i30?

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal