i30 Owners Club

Anyway of keeping Daylight Running Lights (DRL's)on with the side lights on too?

Offline potnodleman

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North West
I think I might have asked this before along time ago but my 2012 GD plate car came with DRL's and everytime u switch the sidelights on, the DRL's turn off... I have noticed that the newer GD's late 2012 or 2013 and above, the DRL's stay on with the sidelights.

I was wondering if any newer members or the resident Hyundai technician would know how to make it so my DRL's would stay on like the newer ones...like would it be something simple like a switch or fuse somewhere?

I only bring this up because a newer modal GD was following behind me the other day and both his DRL's and side lights were on the same time and it looked much smarter
  • silver i30 classic 1.6 CRDi 110PS Diesel Blue Drive Manual

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Mines a 2013 model and my DRL's will turn off once the driving lights are turned on.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
There is a way, but let's see what other options are offered first.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline potnodleman

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North West
the only way I can think of doing it is to hard wire the DRL's into the side light wires but I dont fancy doing that..too much hard work  :lol:  I thought there might be a switch or separate fuse  or something that can be added on easily.

Australia might have different laws for DRL's, but as far as I know here in UK its fine for cars to have them on all the time and if they are in the same light cluster as the indicators, they usually dim the DRL that side is turning.

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

..... but as far as I know here in UK its fine for cars to have them on all the time and if they are in the same light cluster as the indicators, they usually dim the DRL that side is turning.

EU and UK  regulations for DRLs require that they go off or are dimmed when the lights are turned on which includes parking lights (aka sidelights). 

Offline roller

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Welling ,Kent
I have a 2014 car and my DRL's go out when the sidelights are on, I must admit it is annoying as I see so many other makes of cars where they stay on

• i30 crdi

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
My 2012 drl's are on with no lights on.
Off when side/head lights are on
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: eye30

That's really interesting, as is this:

Quote from: roller
I have a 2014 car and my DRL's go out when the sidelights are on ...

My 2014 GD DRLs stay on with the sidelights.

Of course, none of this helps potnodleman.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline potnodleman

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North West
Thats a strange one...Im sure I saw a 63plate i30 that the side lights and DRL's were on at the same time.... its not the first time Ive seen it too, I've seen it on other i30's but cant remember what reg they were on though

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Quote from: eye30

That's really interesting, as is this:

Quote from: roller
I have a 2014 car and my DRL's go out when the sidelights are on ...

Of course, none of this helps potnodleman.
Do your drl's dim when lights on and become the sidelights?

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Are you sure that the DRLs do not dim as the DRL regulations are quite clear?

DRLs must come on with no other lights when the engine is running and go off when obligatory lights are turned on.
If DRLs are integrated with front position lights (aka side/park lights) then they must dim when the position  lights are turned on..
If a DRL is incorporated with, or close to, a direction indicator it must extinguish when that the indicator is operating.

If DRLs are retro-fitted to a vehicle  then there is no legislation regarding position or operation other than they must not cause dazzle (unlikely in daytime!!). I carry a copy of a letter from the DoT confirming this.

I have converted my MY2011 i30 foglamps to operate as DRLs. They come on with the engine running and  stay on when the  position lights are switched on but go off when headlights are switched on.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Mine do not dim. I checked that again this morning, for this thread, when leaving for work at 06:30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
One thing I'd like to know that everyone keeps mentioning, what in the world are "Side Lights" not a term we use here :confused:

My DRL's come on with the turn of the key, they will also stay on when using park lights and they turn off once the driving lights are on.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Side lights are your park lights.

Head lights are your driving lights which have low and high lights.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Side lights are your park lights.

Head lights are your driving lights which have low and high lights.
Thanks, I thought it might have been the park lights but wasn't sure since they aren't on the side and hence why it made no sense to me :)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
"Park lights" don't make much sense to me either, as they're not on when I'm parked.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
True :goodjob2: they should call them dusk lights or something, or even remove the parks altogether as they're pointless imo, I've never used them.

Lights are either on or off for me, no inbetween.

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
In Holland they call them city lights, and i'm prettig sure they're not actually seem as "lighting". I never use them, i drive day and night with the headlamps on, it's a continental thing, i think, coz when i go back to Blighty for a visit i often get  flashed at (headlights, not privates)
  • 2015 i30 GO! 1.6 GDi 5d Hatch, 6MT, Phantom Black

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
when i go back to Blighty for a visit i often get  flashed at (headlights, not privates)
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

When we get flashed at here ( headlights, not privates :wink: ) it's usually someone warning us there's a speed camera further up the road :)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
"Park lights" don't make much sense to me either, as they're not on when I'm parked.

But I think that's actually the purpose of them. If you park somewhere dark you can turn on the park lights so the car is easy visible.
On a VW you can turn on just the side lights in one side by leaving the turn signal stalk in position for turning. Left turn = park lights left activated.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
With my hand on my heart i can honestly say i never exceed the speed limits.

No, i'll correct that.... On motorways i drive 120/130kph coz thats the limit in rest of europe, with the exception of the M25 (much slower).

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
MIne work as the same of Mr Shambles, on, on their own , on with just side lights and off with headlights on.

and when I get flashed by a young chick my eyes light up :P
  • 2013 5D 1.6 CRDi Style Nav auto white

Offline roller

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Welling ,Kent
I just re checked mine and they stay on with side lights and go off with dipped beam, never noticed before as I always have the lights in the Auto position
  • i30 crdi

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer

and when I get flashed by a young chick my eyes light up :P

:-[ My eyes havn't lit up in years

Offline potnodleman

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North West

Are you sure that the DRLs do not dim as the DRL regulations are quite clear?

DRLs must come on with no other lights when the engine is running and go off when obligatory lights are turned on.
If DRLs are integrated with front position lights (aka side/park lights) then they must dim when the position  lights are turned on..
If a DRL is incorporated with, or close to, a direction indicator it must extinguish when that the indicator is operating. 

well according to that the DRL's in the i30 are not integrated or incorporated with or close to the indicators or parking/sidelights so I guess they just left them on without dimming, same as other manufactures like the Citroens DS4 with their annoying vertical DRL's that are way too bright imo

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

well according to that the DRL's in the i30 are not integrated or incorporated with or close to the indicators or parking/sidelights so I guess they just left them on without dimming, same as other manufactures like the Citroens DS4 with their annoying vertical DRL's that are way too bright imo

I put it badly from memory......it was meant to read......

DRLs can double as position (aka side/park) lights if they dim when the position lights are turned on.
So, as it seems the i30, and others, can have DRLs and position lights on together has there been an amendment to the regulations or is my memory failing?
Presumably, as DRLs are very bright they are not intended for night use which is when position lights would be in use hence the requirement for DRLs to dim or extinguish.

However, the AA, Halfords and other non-legal sources  seem to agree with my interpretation.

Daytime running lights must be bright enough that they can be seen clearly in daylight and as a result are too bright to be used at night time when they would cause dazzle.  Daytime running lights should therefore go off automatically when headlights or sidelights are switched on.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

But just tonight i saw a citroen with drl's on with headlights and to me they seemed brighter than i would have expected.

So........ how do manufacturers interpret the requirements.......?

Offline bigwhitetruck1

• 2nd Gear
Goto your local electronics parts place (maplins) get a large diode and connect them to the dipped beam

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Goto your local electronics parts place (maplins) get a large diode and connect them to the dipped beam
I think that would be illegal :undecided: ( definitely illegal in Australia ) dipped beam is not the side lights.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal