i30 Owners Club

Anyway of keeping Daylight Running Lights (DRL's)on with the side lights on too?

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Sorry , ment to say sidelights

EU regulations and UK Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations refer to front position lights and rear position lights - commonly referred to as side lights or park lights

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
The current regulation in the UK is.........

SCHEDULE 3
PART Irequirements relating to obligatory dim-dip devices and running lamps

1.  A dim-dip device fitted to satisfy regulation 18 shall cause light to be emitted from the dipped-beam filament of each obligatory dipped-beam headlamp, each such light having, so far as is practicable, an intensity of between 10 and 20 per cent of the intensity of the normal dipped beam.

2.  Running lamps fitted to satisfy regulation 18 shall be in the form of a matched pair of front lamps, each of which–

(a)is fitted in a position in which an obligatory front position lamp may lawfully be fitted, and

(b)is capable of emitting white light to the front having an intensity of not less than 200 candelas, measured from directly in front of
the centre of the lamp in a direction parallel to the longitudinal axis of the vehicle, and of not more than 800 candelas in any direction.

3.  The electrical connections to the obligatory dim-dip device or running lamps, as the case may be, shall be such that the light output specified in paragraph 1 or 2 above is emitted automatically whenever–

(a)the engine of the vehicle is running, or the key or devices which control the starting or stopping of the engine are in the normal position for driving the vehicle, and

(i)the obligatory position lamps, but not the headlamps, of the vehicle are switched on, or

(ii)the obligatory position lamps are switched off.

So it appears that DRLs can be on with, or without, the front position lights.

Reference to dim-dip covers any old vehicles that required, and may still have, such lighting.

Offline sniarf

• 1st Gear

• gr Greece
      Thessaloniki
On other cars as Volvo or Mercedes the DRL lights are running even with the other lights on.And this in Europe.So why can't they be on our car?
  • i30 1.4 crdi 2015

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
On my car the DRL's are on whilst the ignition is on - until the main beam or dipped headlamps are switched on. In which case the DRLs go off.

Hence there is always a light on at the front of the car.

Just DRL's
Sidelights + DRL's
Headlights main beam
Headlights dipped beam.

The regulations permit the DRL's to be on in a dimmed mode when the headlights are on. 

It gets more complicated - when the DRL's are installed close to the direction indicators - they then have to be off when the direction indicators are flashing on that particular side.

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

It gets more complicated - when the DRL's are installed close to the direction indicators - they then have to be off when the direction indicators are flashing on that particular side.

As I quoted on 2nd Feb....

If a DRL is incorporated with, or close to, a direction indicator it must extinguish when that the indicator is operating.

Offline wbm00

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands, UK
I raised this issue on here (link) and followed it up with a dealership. Fortunately I spoke with a technician who happened to be at the service desk.

In 2013, Hyundai updated the configuration of the i30's DRLs. Before the update, they would switch off when the sidelights/dipped beam/main beam were switched on.

After the update the DRLs were configured the same way as Alan's Kia Venga:

Just DRL's
Sidelights + DRL's
Headlights main beam
Headlights dipped beam.

Armed with this knowledge it should be possible to ask a dealership whether they can apply an update to your vehicle to bring it in line with post-2013 i30s.
  • 2014 i30 GD 1.4i 98ps 6-speed manual

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal