i30 Owners Club

Bluetooth radio in FD

Offline panthersteve

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich, Qld
Hi
I have now secured myself one of the FD-01 head units as fitter to circa '09 FD's, this is the one with Bluetooth.

I have it in and running but was wondering if there was a set of instructions for this unit as it is not covered in the normal handbook.

If there was and someone reading this has a copy I would very much appreciate getting a scan of it.

Cheers
Steve
  • 2010 SLX I30 Diesel Hatchback in Black

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi
I have now secured myself one of the FD-01 head units as fitter to circa '09 FD's, this is the one with Bluetooth.

I have it in and running but was wondering if there was a set of instructions for this unit as it is not covered in the normal handbook.

If there was and someone reading this has a copy I would very much appreciate getting a scan of it.

Cheers
Steve

If yours has the bluetooth I would suspect it would be more circa 'late '10 or early '11 FD (before that they had no bluetooth feature)

Hopefully someone does have a book to share. Don't think there is a link to one on here (did you try a google search?)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Some how to You Tube videos and other pieces come up when I google..

Instruction book for Bluetooth enabled Hyundai i30

Offline panthersteve

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich, Qld
Thanks Dazzler, I have done that search too and the only thing the videos show is what I have already been able to do.

I would like to get instructions as I prefer to read them and sometimes I find out what can be done ahead of actually needing it.

Cheers Steve

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Dazzler, I have done that search too and the only thing the videos show is what I have already been able to do.

I would like to get instructions as I prefer to read them and sometimes I find out what can be done ahead of actually needing it.

Cheers Steve

Fair call. I am not a Manual person (after two years managing a Retravision Electrical store and 17 years on and off working for Radio Rentals I have always just worked things out on the fly. My older Brother on the other hand.. Got his Owner's manual and read it cover to cover, three or four times, 3 months before he got his latest car!  :Shocked: He is a Computer programmer/software writer and takes text books to bed!  :spitty:

Offline panthersteve

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich, Qld
Thanks for the link  :goodjob:

I got an early birthday present this morning from :link: FD-01 User Manual

:goodjob2:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for the link  :goodjob:

I got an early birthday present this morning from :link: FD-01 User Manual

:goodjob2:

You would have got some birthday greetings too if you put your birthday in your profile...  :whistler:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I'm guessing you want more from your Bluetooth than just playing music from your phone or tablet. Otherwise a $5 USB dongle will do, not that I'vebothered to go beyond the USB socket for now.

As for full telephony via Bluetooth, my GPS takes care of the hands-free for me. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Wow thanks! I have been after a copy of this for ages!
  • 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
It's amazing what can be found on the 'net if you know where to look (mostly, I don't...).

The FD-01 fitted to my i30 has its manual as a supplement to the standard owners manual. As mine is a late 2011 build I'm guessing that it's restricted to the last of that shape model. Early ones that I test drove didn't have BT except for one, a mid-11 petrol.

Speaking of models, who has a list of them. I don't know one from the next other than their model years.
  • 2014 Hyndai ix35 Highlander TD/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Speaking of models, who has a list of them. I don't know one from the next other than their model years.

Here's some: :link: Hyundai I30 new models list - discover the best Hyundai I30 model  :D

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Here's some: :link: Hyundai I30 new models list - discover the best Hyundai I30 model  :D

There is also this..

:link: Hyundai i30 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
Thanks guys but neither tell me what the different model/year designators are.

I see references to terms such as "GD" here but nothing to explain it.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
The FD i30 was the old body shape, the GD is the current shape...  :D
The FD came out in 2007 and was replaced with the GD in 2012.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The FD i30 was the old body shape, the GD is the current shape...  :D
The FD came out in 2007 and was replaced with the GD in 2012.

.. and because 2012 was a transition year there are 2012 FD and 2012 GD i30's. Fortunately they look very different as seen in our split gallery.. 

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
It's amazing what can be found on the 'net if you know where to look (mostly, I don't...).

The FD-01 fitted to my i30 has its manual as a supplement to the standard owners manual. As mine is a late 2011 build I'm guessing that it's restricted to the last of that shape model. Early ones that I test drove didn't have BT except for one, a mid-11 petrol.

So just to be Captain Obvious - some of the stereo/radio headunits fitted, at least in the AU market, have the same body/generation code as the model they fit in, others headunits don't...

FD-01 (bluetooth) fits FD body - so do the PA-710 and PA-760 headunits (though FD-01 can't replace the PA-760 - something to do with an amp)

Surprise, surprise for the GD body - there are the GD-01 and GD-02 (I don't know if they are interchangeable - I would guess so)
The major difference seems to be GD-02 doesn't have a CD player, but does have rear view camera input (for parking) - looking at manuals.   No idea how different (or same) the firmware and UI are.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Headunits that use the generation code are made by Cartronics. All other units you'll find are made by Hyundai / Autonet / Mobis

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Yesterday I met one of the guys from Cartronics regarding the poor quality bluetooth issue. Learnt quite a few interesting things regarding these headunits only found in Australia. Particular models and grades are shipped to Australia without headunits in them and are fitted when they arrive here. They currently produce the Non-nav version of the GD stereo, Accent, iload/imax and i20. There is a few more too.

It looks like there is one software update for the FD-01 (mcu 0.2q) this is supposed to be the most current version, however it doesnt fix the bluetooth quality issue.

They happily swapped my headunit over free of charge even though the cars warranty run out almost 2 years ago.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero

They happily swapped my headunit over free of charge even though the cars warranty run out almost 2 years ago.

Wow good stuff
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Wow good stuff

:whsaid: :happydance:

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria

It looks like there is one software update for the FD-01 (mcu 0.2q) this is supposed to be the most current version, however it doesnt fix the bluetooth quality issue.
Bluetooth issues aside (mine has none), what improvements, enhancements, new/extra features does this update provide?
Mine's getting its 30k service soon. I might enquire about it. And it still has 18 mths warranty.

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
From what was discussed it is supposed to fix some issues with radio reception.

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
From what was discussed it is supposed to fix some issues with radio reception.

:ta:

Bummer - I had my car serviced today.  Didn't think to ask for the firmware to be updated in the FD-01 that I fitted last week.   IIRC the firmware for the MCU is '0.2o' *sigh*

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
I wouldnt be too concerned if you didnt get the update. Im hoping it fixed the issue with the clock always speeding up and also the temperature reading. I found if the temperature drops below 5 degrees it goes crazy and counts down. Will update if this has been fixed with the update.

Offline iimech

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

My FD-01 bluetooth doesn't work at all. I asked the service dealer to check, they just said it is out of warranty and want $280 to replace with a new one. They didn't even bother to check the radio at all.

My car is 2011 FD i30cw and I bought it second hand. I should have check the bluetooth before I paid!
  • 2011 FD i30CW 2.0L

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
If they only want $280 to replace it, then that is cheap! I got quoted $250 just to disconnect and replace the unit with one provided free of charge.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

My FD-01 bluetooth doesn't work at all. I asked the service dealer to check, they just said it is out of warranty and want $280 to replace with a new one. They didn't even bother to check the radio at all.

My car is 2011 FD i30cw and I bought it second hand. I should have check the bluetooth before I paid!

Did it ever work? Only some MY11 i30's got Bluetooth. My wife's previous MY11 CW didn't have it but others built a month later did...

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
If they only want $280 to replace it, then that is cheap! I got quoted $250 just to disconnect and replace the unit with one provided free of charge.

I agree with the above - if that is for an FD-01.

As when I enquired about purchasing an FD-01 new from a dealer parts service... I got quoted just under $2,500 see here.

Offline iimech

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Did it ever work? Only some MY11 i30's got Bluetooth. My wife's previous MY11 CW didn't have it but others built a month later did...

No idea! I bought the car second hand, not sure the last owner has the same problem.
  • 2011 FD i30CW 2.0L

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal