i30 Owners Club

Top centre compartment.

neochan · 29 · 9362

Offline neochan

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Southport
Is its only me that is missing this compartment.  The one above the head unit.

Is it just on older cars? Just looked back on the price list and its not listed in any of the trim levels.

Feeling a bit left out at the mo.  :'(

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Surprised you don't have the overhead "sunnies box". It's so dammed useful. Or do you mean the one on the dashboard?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
I think he means the one on the dash :wink:

neochan, is your USB port under the radio beside the cigarette lighter?  If so that combined with the missing compartment suggests you have a Czech built model, all of us with early models have the Korean built ones before the Czech factory was opened.
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline neochan

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Southport
Yes the one in the dash.

And yes it is a Czech built one.  Didn't notice it missing when I had a test drive. And had seen it on the pics so a little disappointed.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Yes the one in the dash.

And yes it is a Czech built one.  Didn't notice it missing when I had a test drive. And had seen it on the pics so a little disappointed.

Don't be too disappointed the general consensus is that it is too shallow to be of a lot of use...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Yes the one in the dash.

Don't be too disappointed the general consensus is that it is too shallow to be of a lot of use...

Yeah, mine contains Kim & Eilidhs sunnies and they rattle all the time until Kim notices me looking in the general direction of the rattle (you know that male "what the f**k is that rattle" face :evil:) when she then opens said compartment and removes one of the pairs and then calm is once again restored. :D

• Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I find it next to useless.

I use it for odd coins
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz
Coins???
The rattling would drive me nuts !!!!

I can't even stand the noise the Mrs' glasses make when she shoves them in there.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Coins???
The rattling would drive me nuts !!!!

I can't even stand the noise the Mrs' glasses make when she shoves them in there.

In mine there is a rubber mat.  The coins don't move/rattle.

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
It really isn't that much useful, as others mentioned it. I have my drivings license and the registration license in it..

Offline Trips

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
it's a good place to store air. haven't used mine yet as i cant think what to put in it.

might put some chewie in it for the ride to work.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Mine's got a few spare serviettes and moist towelettes from Kentucky Fried.. 

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz
Mine's got a few spare serviettes and moist towelettes from Kentucky Fried..  

Oh yeah, never thought of that.... up there in the sunlight, it's a natural re-heater !!!
A keep-warmer !!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That would work here in the summer too... or a salmonella breeder... :lol:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

registration license in it..

In the UK drivers are advised not to keep this in the car.

If the car gets stolen the car can be sold/re registered and the rightful owner may not have a claim to it.

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
registration license in it..

In the UK drivers are advised not to keep this in the car.

If the car gets stolen the car can be sold/re registered and the rightful owner may not have a claim to it.

But you can't register it without the "sales contract", which you and buyer have to sign and which must be than "approved" (stamped) by the local administration (don't know how it's called in English - "local government" if you know what I mean :-[), where you have to identify yourself (show passport..). You also pay some fee when receiving the stamp.
And only then you can go and register the car (where you must again show your identification)..? At least we have that kind of procedure here..

That's why it usually takes 2 days from buying to actually owning the car.. 1st day you check the car and than you give some deposit to the seller and next day you buy it and register, sign the contract, re-register.. It's little bit quicker if you are buying from the company or cars salesman, but still.. The administration usually works till 15h or 17h, that's why you have to do it all in the morning hours..

Sorry for the offtopic  8)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

But you can't register it without the "sales contract", which you and buyer have to sign and which must be than "approved" (stamped) by the local administration

In UK as long as you have the Registration document that person can sell/transfer the car.  

where you have to identify yourself (show passport..).

You do not need to show proof of identity.

You also pay some fee when receiving the stamp.

There is no fee to change registration

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr

Offline xpedro

• 2nd Gear
I think that is a really usefull space to store small things, but im sure that you will never have to worry about the noises that it makes (even when it's empty) in bad condition roads!

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Here's an essay:
I tried to use it as a folding-up GPS unit. I.e., stuck the GPS to the underside, on a hinge, so that when it opened the GPS was visible. Safer than the installed headbox version
Problem is, the spring in the lid wasn't strong enough, so the GPS was too heavy for the lid to pop enough to see the GPS, and the GPS was *just* too big to be a comfortable fit. The idea has not died completely though... I'll get a smaller lighter GPS unit in 6-12 months, thankyou exponential technology improvement, and give it another go then...

In the mean time, it holds my various free-parking passes.

Offline Dr2drm00

• 1st Gear

• us United States
      Verona
Honestly, I love all the storage in my CW. I keep my old iPod mp3 player in there so I always have my music with me. (in the summer I roll my windows down just a tad to let the heat out)

Offline hipposniper

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Devon

• ex-Heidi..North Devon.UK
do all Czech cars have no compartment space, i loved them one of the reasons i brought the car,(mines Czech) and i didn't try when i saw my car(which is waiting to be pick up) but i did play with the ones in the showroom,, now I'm paranoid... cant wait to see Heidi and find out :eek:

Offline GURKHA17

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Darwin

• Darwin,NT, Australia
I use mine for house keys and because its so hot up here in Darwin (32C, summers and winters) , the keys get very very hot by the end of the day.  I can't put anything there coz I think with this heat anything and everything will evaporate. :P

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I use it for having the garage door opener ready to press, without having to take it out at all.

Much better than my wife's implementation of the cavity below her stereo in front of her gearstick. It gets buried with a lot of other stuff there.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I use it for having the garage door opener ready to press, without having to take it out at all.

Much better than my wife's implementation of the cavity below her stereo in front of her gearstick. It gets buried with a lot of other stuff there.

I never use the wife's cavity in front of my gearstick in her car because it can have catastrophic results in my experience.

• Tertius the i30

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid

I never use the wife's cavity in front of my gearstick in her car because it can have catastrophic results in my experience.

There is more room on the back seat - you should try it...................... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ

There is more room on the back seat - you should try it...................... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
:faint:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal