2010 i30 Diesel Transmission Vibration

Chin Ho · 159 · 50839

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
While I fully support GDTourer being frustrated with his car and Hyundai (in the circumstances) I would like to say that most other manufacturers are similar or worse in these circumstances.

I've heard similar tales of woe from Ford, VW and several other brands. I just hope you don't get a lemon from whichever brand you choose next.  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Given that your warranty expires in Nov, I would seriously consider getting a HD clutch fitted from an independent,  and tell Hy to forget it. You will spend the money, you may get a better warranty on the replacement or at the very least, a stronger clutch.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
As others have said, I'm sorry that you have had these issues with your car.
But I have just ticked over 171,000 kms in my GD diesel manual with no clutch issues. 
  • Tertius the i30

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
It's unfortunately luck of the draw with cars.

I think you would have been left with a less sour taste if Hyundai dealt with the issue properly.

Shame that a clutch has cuase this much problem.

I sold my X3 98 Manual Excel with 300,000km on the clock... That car was THRASHED, paddock bashed, went through burns outs by revving the car and dumping the clutch, then went on to towing a trailer with it numerous times... Bloody thing NEVER missed a beat.

(All done back in the day when I was on my P's, not proud of it, but the Excel kept going)

Paid 3k for it... It was the best car I ever had!

Checked the VIN with Vic Roads and the damm thing is still going!
  • 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
Just been doing some research on this issue on this forum and have summarised this issue:

ChinHo - had the problem and was fixed under warranty (clutch replaced and flywheel replaced)

ttc - fixed under warranty (labour and friction plate)

Constipated - has vibration problem but has not had it fixed yet (flywheel replaced under warranty)

Lorian - fixed under warranty (clutch replaced)

tuchan - had the problem but fixed after warranty

dereknunn - had the problem and fixed under warranty (replaced clutch)

GDTourer - fixed under warranty (replaced clutch)

Hman - fixed under warranty (replaced clutch) - Mentioned that it is a known problem for Tynans

Doggie1 - has vibration problem but has not had it fixed yet

h20melon - has vibration problem - fixed under warranty @38,000kms (claimed to be oil leaking from gearbox onto clutch causing slipping yet no sign of any oil leaking out of the bottom of the housing - clutch replaced and flywheel machined) and re-occurred from 70,000km+

After talking to Hyundai Australia, they have informed me (which also states in the book that comes with the car) that the clutch FRICTION PLATE is the only thing NOT under warranty in that area - all other items (pressure plate, bearing, flywheel) are all warranty items.  So if all these people had their clutch (complete assembly) replaced under warranty I will be requesting the same treatment.

Anyway, let the fun begin this week when my car goes in for the same problem...

Please let me know if any details are incorrect or if I have left anyone off the list :)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 04:23:59 by h20melon »
  • 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :Agoodpost:

But it does look like a bit of a weakness in the manual drive train area  :fum: :Shocked:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

But it does look like a bit of a weakness in the manual drive train area  :fum: :Shocked:
Spokeen like a true auto owner. :whistler:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Great summary h2o, we need to sticky this thread maybe. Not sure how to do it on tapatalk

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

Offline dereknunn

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Western Australia
Just confirming Hyundai did eventually cover the cost of my clutch under warranty.
There is no doubt in my mind that Hyundai know about the problem. Although I accept it could only be with a certain type or batch of plates I still maintain the reduction in torque from the current diesel motor when coupled to the manual transmission (opposed to the dual clutch transmission) very suspicious.
Importantly, changing these clutch plates under warranty ensures Hyundai get to retain the offending items.
I find the debacle Hyundai subjected me to nothing short of offensive - loan and hire cars for 16+ weeks, initial denial of warranty, endless hours of phone calls and letter writing, unnecessary repairs to my car, months awaiting reimbursement, etc. The financial cost of this to Hyundai would be enormous in comparison to changing a pathetic $100 clutch plate.
This is my second i30 but likely the last Hyundai product I ever buy.
I also own a Landcruiser. My Toyota dealer is 500km nearer than my Hyundai dealer, and in ten years I cannot fault the service provided by Toyota.
  • 2013 i30 CRDi Manual

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
Thanks dereknunn. Have updated the list above.
  • 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia

Spokeen like a true auto owner. :whistler:

:snigger:

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
My manual i30 diesel was made in 2010. It has now covered 72,000km with only a faulty battery to blot its perfect reliability record.
The clutch and gear shifting (which is silky-smooth now....about time) in my vehicle feels really solid.

I have to admit that I am a trifle spooked when reading through this thread. It would be fabulous to know if there IS an inherent fault with the drive train and if so...which numbers in the production run are affected.

Have any of the owners had their clutch replaced with a non-Hy clutch? I am thinking of Exedy...which has a fabulous reputation.

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
UPDATE with my vibration issue:

The car has been in at the local dealer now since Monday morning.  The confirmed that the vibration was coming from the clutch area and Monday afternoon the "Made" me agree to pay $1056 for them to do more "diagnostics" and pull the gearbox out to inspect the clutch.  Later still on Monday they ring me to tell me that if it is the clutch it definitely isn't warranty (as I have been pushing that it is warranty as others have had it fixed through warranty).

Tuesday afternoon they ring me up saying they are still waiting for a response from Hyundai Australia regarding trying to claim the clutch under warranty due to some holes in the clutch housing that cause water to get in that dries up the grease...  (these holes are on every car apparently and apparently there is a campaign regarding them or something according tot he dealer).

Wednesday afternoon get a phone call to come in and talk to them. They have pulled the clutch out and it is definitely bone dry - no grease on the shaft where the friction plate goes onto.  They claim that Hyundai Australia won't come to the party as it is the clutch plate that is not under warranty.  Give me prices to replace the clutch assembly and machine flywheel, which I then say that the flywheel, pressure plate and bearings, etc.. are all warranty items - only the friction plate is not and what is the price to only replace the friction plate - refuses to give me!!!

The dealer believes the high pitched noise I hear on hill starts and the vibration issue are from the one thing - lack of grease.

I then go outside to contact my dad for more advice and Hyundai Australia.  I firstly ask Hyundai if the dealer has contacted them regarding this, and they confirmed the dealer has NOT been in contact with Hyundai!!!  I told them the issue and that there is no wear on the clutch plate itself - all the engraved marks are there including the painted stamp the manufacturer has put on the friction surface.  Also the large springs are tight - cannot move them by hand.  Hyundai will come back to me tomorrow on their decision.

Fingers crossed that Hyundai will cover it.  If they don't then I will be getting only the friction plate changed and if the vibration is still there then it has to be the other parts that are warranty items. 

The dealer has to look at the cruise control too as it seems to be accel, deccel, accel, deccel.... constantly very minute but can feel it.  They keep claiming that it is an aftermarket one, but I bought the car brand new with it in there so it is covered by the 5 year warranty.  Sort of getting pushed around with this one as it didn't come from the factory with it installed, but installed through the local car hi-fi place through the dealer.  Anyway if they have to put a new unit in at their expense then so be it.

We will see what happens tomorrow.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 08:13:56 by h20melon »
  • 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Wow! Nothing is simple these days. Good luck with everything..

Offline crayman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie
I can't believe all this crap being shovelled out by dealers.
Are they seriously suggesting the splines on the clutch shaft need grease?
And that this grease will solve your problems?
I've only read h20 melon's post 2-back but if she's only making a squeal on big hill starts, my first look would be spigot bearing.
Dry clutches have been around for over 100 years, Hyundai can't install a decent one ???
Something seriously wrong, they'd all come from Denso or a similar mega company.
  • i-30

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Hang on....... dealer says hy won't cover...... yet hy say dealer never been in contact.

Have you asked dealer for an explanation as to why hy say not covered if they have not spoken to them!

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
yes someone is lying, and I believe HY more than the dealer.

The dealer says that HY won't cover it as it is the clutch and the clutch plate is out of warranty, etc.. And the holes in the clutch housing is not a "fault" in the design. Usual spiel. With the grease, what I can't work out is if it is just that, then why aren't more people having the problem? Or was it faulty installation 50,000 kms ago when they replaced the clutch back then?

So still unsure what is causing the noise and vibration exactly.  I guess I could be going down the road like what ChinHo had to take regarding refunds due to incorrect diagnosis if they put a new clutch plate in (because I'm not going to pay for machining of the flywheel or a new thrust bearing and pressure plate) and it still has the problem.

As far as I'm concerned, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the clutch plate that would be causing these issues, like loose springs.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 12:08:48 by h20melon »
  • 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
This is not good!  Esp. if the dealer really hasn't talked to Hyundai and it isn't just communications mix up that Hyundai is saying that - however I suspect Hyundai would be tracking such things via. VIN so it would be easy enough for them to see details...

As you said I would believe Hyundai more than the dealer at this point.

I am very suspicious this could be a case of a dealer and/or the service dept. of it - wanting to make money from a customer by chargeable work (at retail/public rates, etc.)... rather than doing warranty work - which, to the best of my knowledge, is often not billed at the same rate and/or when replacement parts (or predetermined work is done) often the service centre will be paid a pre-determined amount by the national company... based on their timing of how long replacing the part should take (not how long it actually does).   Of course being suspicious is one thing - knowing or having proof is another.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
Update: Day 4:

I rung HY this morning to see how my case is progressing.  They still had to ring the dealer to find out what's happening.  I rung HY this afternoon to find out as had heard nothing.  Found out the dealer definitely did NOT submit a warranty claim as they thought it wouldn't get approved, but HY said you won't know if you don't submit one.  So should be submitting one now and could find out by the end of the day whether it is approved or not.  So all up, the dealer's representative outright lied to my face!  Not very good PR.

Keep tuned...
  • 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
Day 5:

After being on the phone almost all day to HY, their warranty department has refused to cover it as it isn't a fault with the car, but still could not get straight answers from them as to why.

Then asking technical questions to them which the guy on the phone had to keep putting me on hold to go and find the answer from the technical and/or warranty department.

Basically, what I was trying to find out was that if I ONLY replace the friction plate which is the only part in that area NOT covered by the 5 year warranty will HY cover the other parts if, once back together, problems occur.  Their answer was that because it was the friction plate that caused the problem, then the parts around it aren't covered.  I still don't understand this one as from what I can see there is nothing wrong with the friction plate - it was just lack of grease according to the "experts".

Anyway, I have now accepted to pay $1710.30 for a genuine clutch replacement and will take it up with HY at another stage.  I did get confirmation though that if when I drive away or in the near future the vibration or the hill start noise is still there then I'm entitled to compensation for faulty diagnosis (in fact I wouldn't be surprised that the hill start noise will still be there as it could be the spigot bearing).

Anyway, will know next Friday when they say the car will be ready. 

In hindsight I could have waited another 7 months until it's out of warranty it it would have only cost me the cost of a new clutch.

I have told them that all parts from the car including oil is MINE and I will be keeping them all to make my case.  Maybe I would have been better to buy an auto at the beginning as I will have now paid the price difference!  Anyway the new clutch comes with a 12 month warranty, so if I can do 30-40,000kms in that time (which I'm currently doing) and the problem re-occurs then it's covered.  Will I go back to them based on the treatment I've been given - probably not.

Rant over.  Will let you know of the outcome when I get the car.
  • 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I feel so sorry for you, arguing with HO about warranty items is very bad practice IMO. No one wins  :disapp:

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I am really disappointed with Hyundai's lack of support in this situation.
The way that I read it, if your new clutch stuffs up in say, 6 months.... due to 'lack of grease' again, Hyundai's warranty means nothing (again).

Poor form, Hyundai...

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

What they said... :fum:

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
So they have had the car for another week. Rung them to find out they haven't done a thing!  Then says that they need to email through the quote for me to approve before they do the work!!!!  I could have dropped in anytime in the last week to sign.

Receive quote and it is $130.40 MORE expensive than the original quote.  Waiting to hear back from them with the correct price.   

I will definitely be contacting the Department of Fair Trading about their conduct and the way they have treated me - being lied to and trying to get more money out of me than what they originally quote.

Definitely would not go back to them ever again!  This is Shellharbour City Motors by the way.
  • 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I feel your wallets pain.. :fum:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Absolutely disgusting. :disapp:

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia

I will definitely be contacting the Department of Fair Trading about their conduct and the way they have treated me - being lied to and trying to get more money out of me than what they originally quote.

Definitely would not go back to them ever again!  This is Shellharbour City Motors by the way.

You have been treated abysmally...sorry to hear about it. I am stunned that Hyundai did not help you.

The Department of Fair Trading is SUCH a token organisation. They don't look for right or wrong. They aim for the parties concerned to reach an agreement during the arbitration meeting that is scheduled if you cannot compromise with the other party independently.

If the other party is a shonk....and it sounds like SCM could be put into that category, you would ultimately rely on them at an arbitration meeting to concede that they have been less-than-honorable and agree to compensate you financially in some way. Don't expect someone from the Department of Fair Trading to arbitrate in your favour. Their aim is to remain neutral. They don't care about right or wrong, just want you out of the place ASAP and keep pointing out the court costs that you would face if you can't come to an agreement during the arbitration meeting.

FWIW...I would take my car (towed if necessary)...to someone with a good reputation and have them do the job.

I would also make sure that I gave a royal salute (accompanied by a wet raspberry) to the person with whom you have been dealing at SCM on the way out!!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 04:51:33 by Paolo5 »

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
This is their response:

"That did not include the initial diagnostic charge of $150 that you agreed to.
Total would come to 1710.30+150 = 1860.30 so it’s actually $20 cheaper than what it should be.
$1840.70 is your current final price.

All going well.
Again, further work may be needed once this repair has been carried out."

My response:

"Go ahead with the work for $1840.70, however I did ask on Friday whether the $1710.30 price was all up and you said yes it was!
If this does not fix the problem then I will be seeking compensation and taking the issue to Fair Trading!"

Their response:

"There is no guarantee that this will fix the issues you are having with your car.
Are you happy to proceed for $1840.70.
Simple yes or no answer please."

So they are still uncertain that it is the clutch/grease that is the problem. 

I wish it was that simple with taking the car elsewhere - only problem is that it is up on a hoist with no gearbox.  I will be up for $1300 in labour already if I didn't go ahead with the work and them just put the clutch back in.  Did some calculations on it if I were to take it home and fix the problem myself: $1300 already to pay + $400 new clutch assembly + $60 oil = $1760, so really rather than just wasting my money on their labour they might as well put a new clutch in.

• 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Does the $1300 that you currently owe only cover the removal of the gearbox and clutch?

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
$1300 remove and to put it back together.
  • 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal