i30 Owners Club

2010 i30 Diesel Transmission Vibration

Chin Ho · 159 · 50841

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
MetalDan: My experience with reporting an issue to the dealers is they want to try and fix it when you mention.  When I had my problem a couple of years ago, and they were saying it is the clutch, I said that I will take the car and drive it until it gets worse - they then said that I would be responsible for damages as I didn't give them the chance to fix the problem (warranty or not).

Not sure how other people have been treated. 
  • 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Offline dereknunn

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Western Australia
Having recently had the clutch assembly replaced in my 2013 GD 1.6 CRDi due to loose springs in the clutch plate - see my thread entitled Transmission vibration (clutch issue) and coolant loss - :link: Transmission Vibration (Clutch issue) & Coolant Loss) - I can advise that the vibration was first reported at 60,000km but the clutch was not diagnosed as being faulty or replaced until 95,000km. During this time it did not slip, judder, hamper gear changes or exhibit any other symptoms of wear. Aside from the vibration it worked faultlessly.

As the replacement was not covered under warranty it may be worth considering living with the vibration, I certainly would be doing so knowing what I know now.

Regarding dual mass flywheels, from the pictures I was sent of my car with the transmission removed I was able to compare my flywheel with various pictures of recycled items  available online (particularly ebay) and confirm my flywheel is not a dual mass item. This is inline with what the dealer told me.

• 2013 i30 CRDi Manual

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Derek is correct. We have discussed dual mass flywheels several times on here and I think every time we have concluded that the i30 doesn't have one.

Metaldan, I would report it to your closest Hyundai dealer but make it clear that if they suspect it is a non warranty issue you just want it noted for now and not acted upon.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
In my case, flywheel was replaced but did not rectify the situation. They told me to replace the clutch at the time at my cost which I declined. I think I will live with it.

This vibration must either be the clutch only or in some cases clutch and flywheel.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
Agreed that the vibration is either clutch and/or flywheel.  It's interesting that it is happening with a number of cars and after low kms.  My car has done 50,000km since the first clutch replacement.

Well, in my case, I'm leaving it until it gets too bad or the noise from the bearing is more regular.
  • 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Offline dereknunn

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Western Australia
The latest i30 specifications list maximum torque for the 1.6 CRDi engine as 260Nm with manual transmission and 300Nm with dual clutch transmission.
  • 2013 i30 CRDi Manual

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

My car is still under warranty until April 2015,

Don't you nean 2016
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline tuchan

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide, SA

Offline GDTourer

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
Well this is all very interesting.

I've just had my MY13 i30 Tourer Diesel Manual at the dealership complaining of this issue.

Mine definitely has the DMF, and there is massive noise and vibration from the car which the dealer assumes is related to this or the clutch. Was first identified at 65,000 kms (now 90,000) and has gotten to the point where I can't put up with driving the car anymore like this.

But...they've told me they probably can't fix the problem after trying it with other cars and only getting marginal / short term improvements after replacing clutch & flywheel. I said I don't want to waste their time and mine replacing stuff if it's not going to fix the problem.

Seems like this is a very common problem after seeing all the posts on here about it.

I was quite honest with them - if it can't be fixed, then I will be off to my local Toyota dealership and not buying any Hyundai's ever again. They're taking my car for a day next week and looking into it further, but I'm not very hopeful.

Surely with this many confirmed cases, they should have produced a permanent fix and recalled the cars for repair.

I'm currently left thoroughly annoyed at this situation - it's utter bullshit.
  • 2013 Tourer Diesel Manual

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Wow! That is really interesting. I wouldn't say there were a lot of issues with this vibration considering the amount of Diesel owners on here. Just been a bit of a spate of them lately.

Maybe they've changed something (changed to a DMF?) because I am pretty sure they didn't have one originally in the diesel.

Really sorry to hear of your problems. I would be exactly the same in the circumstances.

Where is Tim (@cruiserfied ) when you need him!

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
1. I am very surprised that the tourer has a DMF fitted.

2. I'm even more surprised that the dealership says they only get marginal results on repairing, that doesn't sound right to me. If a new DMF & clutch is fitted, how can it still vibrate. Sounds more like they don't want to do the job.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline GDTourer

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
They're going to put out a nation wide alert for this issue to see if anyone in Australia has found a fix - this is infinitely more preferable to arbitrarily changing clutches and flywheels in the seemingly vain hope that it will fix it.

I love this car and sincerely hope they can fix it, because if they can't I will be forced to upgrade which will cost me unnecessary amounts of money.

I'm a sales rep and have to put up with this noise & vibration up to 200 times a day...5 days a week...every week...you can understand my frustration!

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Yes, sorry you're having this problem, these cars are generally tops. Hope it can be sorted satisfactorily for you.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Is the vibration a felt vibration or a heard vibration?
For a long time now, my car has had a heard vibration from @ 1800 rpm in third gear but I can't say that I can feel anything.
It is quite a loud vibration noise that disappears when the revs rise.
I have spoken to my mechanic once about it but he said he could fault it, but I haven't spent the time since to go with him and show him what I mean.
I imagined it was a loose exhaust bracket as that it what it sounds like to me, but apparently not.
My car is a diesel 6 speed manual.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero

Hell i've never had the complaint brought up let alone had to replace anything for it.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Hell i've never had the complaint brought up let alone had to replace anything for it.

So Tim, can you confirm if the Tourer does indeed have a DMF???  :undecided:

Offline GDTourer

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
Doggie 1 - it's both felt and heard, between 1500 - 2000 RPM in third and fourth gear, under load. In 1st and 2nd it passes through this rev range too quickly for the noise to be apparent, and in 5th and 6th it is drowned out by road noise and wind noise, but presumably still there.

Can be felt through the entire car and the noise is significant - enough to make pedestrians turn their heads and enough that I'm totally sick of it.

Will keep you guys posted once it's been looked at further on Wednesday - hopefully I'll have some answers. I have a 5000km road trip holiday coming up in Feb through the Snowys and VIC high country, and there is no way I'm taking the car while it makes this noise / vibration.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero

So Tim, can you confirm if the Tourer does indeed have a DMF???  :undecided:

Not really. I've not seen a DMF come out of an I30, though i've only pulled a few manuals out. And the few times ive looked it up after comments here ive never found conclusive evidence either way. Manual and parts catalouge are both very vauge with pictures and descriptions.

I would say its unlikely they would use DMF on Czech cars and not Korean but stranger things have happened.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Thanks Tim...  :goodjob:

I've searched high & low and still can't find anything confirming that there is anything other than a single mass flywheel in the 1.6l crdi Hyundai i30...  :undecided:

Offline GDTourer

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
Hmmm...the plot thickens...interesting!!

Well the dealer has told me mine definitely has a DMF (and that they've replaced them under warranty), I guess we'll find out for sure on Wednesday! Perhaps I should get them to show me a photo, or alternatively show me the old flywheel if they end up replacing it.

If it doesn't have one, I'm at a loss (and so is my dealer evidently) as to what could be causing this noise / vibration.

Watch this space...

Offline GDTourer

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
Hi guys,

Well I've collected my car after two days in the workshop - it took longer because they had to attend to another warranty claim regarding front end clunks (suspect failed front left wheel bearing, although I suspect there is more to it than that).

It's going back on Thursday (once parts arrive) for a new flywheel which is being replaced under warranty.

Interestingly, the head mechanic has told me that it probably won't fix the problem but at this stage it's the only option they have.

Also, he had told me unequivocally that all diesel manual GD cars (Koren hatches and Czech wagons) have the Dual Mass Flywheel fitted.

I'll check in again once the flywheel has been fitted and let you know what sort of difference it makes.

What do you guys think about the clutch - should I also be fitting a new one at the same time (92,000kms), or will this be replaced with the new flywheel anyway?

Cheers,
Tom

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Clutches should last almost the life of the car! But so should the flywheel!  :undecided:

Offline tuchan

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide, SA
Maybe they have gone over to a dual mass on the GD as apposed to the solid for the earlier cars? I know my FD CRDI has a solid in it, got the old one sitting in a box in the shed with loose springs on the plate.

I would be looking into a DM to solid conversion. DM are a very expensive clutch.
  • 2010 i30 FD CRDI

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Maybe they have gone over to a dual mass on the GD as apposed to the solid for the earlier cars? I know my FD CRDI has a solid in it, got the old one sitting in a box in the shed with loose springs on the plate.

I would be looking into a DM to solid conversion. DM are a very expensive clutch.
Dual mass refers to the Flywheel, not the clutch. :confused:

Offline tuchan

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide, SA
soz, clutch kit as a whole assembly ;)
  • 2010 i30 FD CRDI

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Fairy nuff as Dave would say...

Offline ttc

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Browns Plains, Brisbane

• 2016 GD i30 crdi
My i30 had a clunk in the front too, the cv joint was loose  :eek:

Hope they fix it, maybe I should call the mechanics who did my clutch and ask what type of flywheel it has.
  • 2013 Active Crdi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

My i30 had a clunk in the front too, the cv joint was loose  :eek:

Hope they fix it, maybe I should call the mechanics who did my clutch and ask what type of flywheel it has.

Please do..  :goodjob:

Offline ttc

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Browns Plains, Brisbane

• 2016 GD i30 crdi
I did and he told me something very Interesting, but I'm just a stupid motorcycle rider.   :crazy2:
  • 2013 Active Crdi

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal