i30 Owners Club

Is it possible to retro fit a reversing camera on my 3014 I 30?

Offline raymondcurran123

• 1st Gear

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Anything's possible in the 'after' market. :goodjob:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
3014 eh? :lol:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Just check the flux capacitor before you do, it always seems to be faulty for some reason....

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Anything is possible, at a price :)

You might have to also replace the head unit in the process as I don't think the standard unit is reverse video compatible which is why I previously linked a more viable option.

Offline crayman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie
Yes I fitted an aftermarket reverse camera to Mr's 2012 standard model i-30.
The screen is in that region below the radio, camera sits above the number plate, no wiring visible anywhere, cost $99 from Repco.
Not quite as convenient as the factory screen but it gives us a good view for grandkids, bikes etc as these cars have mega blind spots.
Also convenient for those really tight parking spots since the reverse sensor beepers often go off from objects close to the side, sign posts for example.
No idea why reverse cameras aren't stock fitment on any car.
  • i-30

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane

Recently another member was looking at doing this - :link: 2014 i30 wiring diagrams - using an OEM camera (and an aftermarket head-unit).

I was trying to provide advice but - not having a GD body i30 (let alone one without OEM camera) available to do checks on - was unable to say for certain.   Unfortunately the O/P hasn't posted anything further - so I don't know if the pinout advice is correct; nor do I know if the needed wiring connections are part of the 'body wiring loom' (and just not used in vehicles without the camera) - I am guessing they will be (otherwise it means a variant of wiring loom where they aren't present - the 'savings' would probably not be worth the hassle).

If you are in Australia - then an after-market head-unit may not be necessary - a GD-02 (badged as 'Hyundai GD-02') head-unit has the ability to display reversing camera images (the screen shows the camera image when the 'Reverse' signal is detected - which also causes the camera to deploy and turn on.  You can sometimes find GD-02 units on ebay (though sometimes they are listed as GD-01 units - if listed as GD units at all).   This, 'GD-02', will be on the face of the unit in small printing somewhere above the left edge of the screen (to the left of the LED above the screen) - it is also on a label on the body of the head-unit (but can't be seen while unit is mounted).

If you still have the OEM head-unit installed - what is it?  (FYI GD-01 units have similar printing in the same area as the GD-02 - GD-01 also have a CD slot, but no camera input).

I suppose the big questions are: Is the wiring already present in the body of the car? If an after-market camera (instead of OEM one) is used - can it use that wiring and will it be compatible with the headunit?
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline raymondcurran123

• 1st Gear
Thank you for that infoyour amazingly informed can I read on the outside if if its GD02 or 01 my is 2014 built GD series2?

Offline raymondcurran123

• 1st Gear
I have checked my head unit and it say GD-01 so can assume that a camera will not work??????

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
I have checked my head unit and it say GD-01 so can assume that a camera will not work??????

Correct.  The GD-01 head-unit doesn't have a camera input/connections.

Out of the following couple of options - the one crayman has done is probably the: cheapest, easiest and quickest. But look less 'stock' - having said that you might be able to get a nav unit with input for a reverse camera (e.g. NAVMAN MYEscape III).

So basically there are three main options:
1) As crayman has done, and others suggested/did, fit aftermarket camera and screen.  Or:
2) Get a GD-02 head-unit (which could be hit or miss on ebay - often people are listing these types of head-units as 'i30 2012+ ....' or 'i30 GD....' instead of GD-01 or GD-02) and wire a camera to it - this could be further complicated if the head-unit plug(s) doesn't have those connectors/wires.  Also if an aftermarket camera is used in this manner you would have to work out/check which connections/voltages are needed to operate.   If using the OEM badge camera (not cheap) this would be less of an issue - but you would probably need to make the hole required to mount it, and you might still need to run your own wiring.
3) Fit an aftermarket head-unit (with camera input) instead of a GD-02 and wire a camera to it - the lack of connections on the plug for head-unit issue will, likely, be less a factor (as the unit will probably require different plugs to be wired).
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal