i30 Owners Club

Xenon lights

gbranco · 23 · 7925

Offline gbranco

• 2nd Gear

• My i30
Hey friends, I just installed two xenon kits on my car, one 5K on the "lower light" and one 6K on the fog lamp. The 6k on the fog is very strongh  :evil:

What king of lamp do you guys use on the fog light :idea:? The lower light is really fine but the fog light is bothering other people, so Im not using fog light at momment and I want to change the lamp. :'(

The normal "yellow lamp" on the fog light and the xenon lamp on the lower light won't be fine. I was looking for some Crystal Vision to install and look if it will be fine, but doesn't have Crystal vision on H27 size.

Hugs,

Gustavo Branco, Brazil  :lol:

Offline gbranco

• 2nd Gear

• My i30
If you look the picture that Thumper posted, the fog light appears a light strongh/high

my fog light with 5k xenon hid isn't too strongh/high, but depending of the position you are it bother who is coming. Probally the same of Thumper. Some persons already did a signal on transit for me to let me know the lamp is too strongh.

MY LAMPS:

Look how the low light is clearly and fine:

Waiting for some answers
Thank you friends

Offline Waja

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW, Australia

• Hyundai i30 CRDi '07 100,000km
yeah, on thumpers he had installed the 3000k ones which have more lumen output and so would appear more stronger but also more yellow on the ground. Also, i'm pretty sure that he did alot more country driving so it wouldn't appear to be as much as an issue with people flashing him etc.

Currently I have 4200k installed in my low beams and even though its aimmed low, you still get flashed because they are xenons, they are naturally bright and with roads not being perfectly smooth and all that, each bump will always lead to someone getting a little dazed.

Currently that's why I haven't upgraded my fogs to hids because my low beams are already too bright..but the stock fogs are ugly  :-[ and also, I haven't been able to find any of the xenon filled or philip's globes either for 881 sockets...

through doing some research some people say that you need to modify the housing to lower the fog light...but then that leads to alot of other issues like water leakages etc...

complicated sitation, i would just stick with the hid's imo. doesn't look too glaring but would stun people a bit when a bump comes along...

Offline gbranco

• 2nd Gear

• My i30
link, do you have a picture of your fog light? I have one Audi A3 2.0T with 6k xenon on fog lights and its pretty and don't perturb. I'll put a picture down.
I conclude that isn't appropriate to use xenon on fog light if you have one i30.
But I don't want to use the normal and yellow lamp, is really ugly combinated with xenon on low light.

I want to know one lamp that isn't yellow (like crystal vision), but need to be H27.
Crystal Vision doesn't have H27.

Compare the fog light of the A3 with the i30:

ouri30
I know that in Australia it is illegal to drive with fog lights on unless you are driving in fog.  A couple of the police officers in our country area have been booking drivers who drive with their fog lights on.

Bob

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I know that in Australia it is illegal to drive with fog lights on unless you are driving in fog.  A couple of the police officers in our country area have been booking drivers who drive with their fog lights on.

Bob

Same in UK.

It seems that there is a trend amongs "boy racers" to drive in daylight, including those odd days when we have sun, to drive with just fogs on.  Why don't our boys in blue stop them.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline gbranco

• 2nd Gear

• My i30
well, it's not illegal here in brazil

anybody knows one lamp to put on the fog light? need to be H27.

thanks

Offline gbranco

• 2nd Gear

• My i30
new photo, just took tonight...

good picture to see how the light bother other ppl

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

Gustavo, those fog lights are just obscene :D  No wonder other road folk are annoyed with you :P
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline gbranco

• 2nd Gear

• My i30

Gustavo, those fog lights are just obscene :D  No wonder other road folk are annoyed with you :P
heheheh  :D
you use the lamp that comes with the car? the original one?

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
you use the lamp that comes with the car? the original one?

Yes. As other members have said (above) it is illegal to use the fog lights (in the UK) when the conditions don't require them, so I don't use mine at all really. We rarely get fog or misty conditions here so no need.

Maybe I should move to Brazil and install some of your thermo-nuclear dazzlers :lol: for a laugh :lol:

.. or to cause a serious accident  :cool:

Offline gbranco

• 2nd Gear

• My i30
here is legal to use fog lights and a lot of ppl use it...
now I don't know if I trade back the lamp (to the normal and yellow one), or if I continue with the xenon and just use late afternoon (at this time the lamp aparently don't blind ppl). If I trade back to the yellow, I'll only use it if needed, because is ugly xenon with yellow lamp.

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
The reason your fog-xenon-lights are bothering other people is the fact, that fog lights don't have lenses. Lenses produce a clear cut-off and are not that annoying to other people..

The light isn't "everywhere" ->

Nice car by the way  :wink:

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Yes. As other members have said (above) it is illegal to use the fog lights (in the UK) when the conditions don't require them, so I don't use mine at all really. We rarely get fog or misty conditions here so no need.
I guess you are lucky not to get fog, presumably becuase it never stops raining?  :D

I'm further south than you, I need to use mine maybe a dozen or so times a year on my airport commute, mostly in the mornings, I rarely see fog later in the day.

I certainly wouldn't want them too bright and sending light upwards.

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
yeah, on thumpers he had installed the 3000k ones which have more lumen output and so would appear more stronger but also more yellow on the ground. Also, i'm pretty sure that he did alot more country driving so it wouldn't appear to be as much as an issue with people flashing him etc.

Greetings.

Those fog lights were way too bright and would 'dazzle/blind' oncoming drivers at night. Plus if the road was wet, the light would reflect off the wet road right at eye level for oncoming vehicles. So even though they are pointed down, the light reflected back up from the wet road was just as blinding as pointing them up into the air.

I would only use them when out in the middle of no where. If another vehicle came along, I would switch them off.

A very bright fog light is next to useless when driving in fog, anyways!  8)

Offline gbranco

• 2nd Gear

• My i30
Thumper, I'm very unhappy about this, because a lot of people use the fog light all the time here in Brazil, especially in the evenings we use only the fog lights, is beautiful.
I'll schedule a review of my i30 and will ask to re-install the original/yellow lamps, so then I can use my fog lamps out of guilty conscience  :lol: :lol:

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I got some cheap 881 xenon filled lamps (bulbs,globes) from ebay for the foglights.

Offline gbranco

• 2nd Gear

• My i30
Lorian, can you take some pictures?  :rolleyes:

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Offline gbranco

• 2nd Gear

• My i30
I found one H27 white lamp, just bought and already installed

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/3140/dsc02398z.jpg

I was thinking it was more white, but is similar as yellow lamp. The mechanical said he think is ugly to use the lamps (low and fog) at the same thime, because the different of colors.

What you guys think? I think it's not too ugly, but I expected more... :(

Offline gbranco

• 2nd Gear

• My i30
Hey friends, I just took new and better pictures.

What you guys think about?

Hugs

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
You do like your foglights don't you :lol:

Meh, they're ok I guess :)

Offline felipe3k

• 2nd Gear

• br Brazil
      Recife

• Live from Brazil!!!!
Just ordered a couple of HID Xenon pairs...
H7 for lower beams, and H27 for fog lights....
Both 4.3k.....

lets see how this will turn out... :)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal