i30 Owners Club

spot lights/driving lights

yorlad · 7 · 3287

Offline yorlad

• 1st Gear
Hi any suggestions? I don't know about anybody else but I have a problem with the standard lights on my 2008 i30. at night on high beam and with the standard fog/spot lights on the light they throw up the road is crap, I like to see as far up the road at night as I can and living in Australia you need the road ahead lit up because of all the wild life, as I said the standard light set up on the i30 is rubbish but there are limited places to fit decent driving lights?? does anyone else have this problem or suggestions on decent lights. PS not a fan of light bars either.Keith
  • i30

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
I know someone who will be along soon enough and will 'enlighten' you  :snigger:

What don't you like about lightbars? In your situation they are more suitable than driving lights. Dont get me wrong im not a big fan myself, but mostly because of the ridiculous pricing.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
You can upgrade the globes to Osram or Philips high performance + globes I think Osram are called Nightbreakers (which helps a bit) and adjusting them up can help too. Often they are set a bit low.

There are threads on here about fitting nudge bars and light bars. As Tim says they can be made to look OK and be very effective.

@Just Rick has a very effective set up which he might like to tell you about. :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
Changing the bulbs made a big difference for me, I also got very dark roads and lots of big wildlife.

Wish it gave more light though, going to get a pair of 55w xenon conversion kits for the high beams when i can afford them, if that does not give enough i will get some big extra Hellas to bolt on. :)
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Hi any suggestions? I don't know about anybody else but I have a problem with the standard lights on my 2008 i30. at night on high beam and with the standard fog/spot lights on the light they throw up the road is crap, I like to see as far up the road at night as I can and living in Australia you need the road ahead lit up because of all the wild life, as I said the standard light set up on the i30 is rubbish but there are limited places to fit decent driving lights?? does anyone else have this problem or suggestions on decent lights. PS not a fan of light bars either.Keith
Others will no doubt advise you further on headlights/ auxiliary lights. Personally, even at night in regional areas at high speed I've never found my normal headlights wanting (and I spent about 20 years driving rally cars), however I'd like to comment on your "fog /spot lights" note above. They are just fog lights and for that reason are mounted low to the road. In fact it is illegal to use them unless you are in fog. Fog tends to sit just above the road surface so these lights are designed to do nothing except illuminate the road surface close to the front of the vehicle. It is assumed that in such conditions you would be driving slowly. So, don't expect them to help at any speed on a clear road.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
Others will no doubt advise you further on headlights/ auxiliary lights. Personally, even at night in regional areas at high speed I've never found my normal headlights wanting (and I spent about 20 years driving rally cars), however I'd like to comment on your "fog /spot lights" note above. They are just fog lights and for that reason are mounted low to the road. In fact it is illegal to use them unless you are in fog. Fog tends to sit just above the road surface so these lights are designed to do nothing except illuminate the road surface close to the front of the vehicle. It is assumed that in such conditions you would be driving slowly. So, don't expect them to help at any speed on a clear road.

I 100% agree about the foglights. They are mounted down there for a reason. Don't have them fitted on my car as fog is so rare here now - though I often see others using them for no apparent reason. :'(

Best to mount spotlights quite high, though I only had them on one sports car I had many years ago. Normal headlights have done the job quite well since then.

The headlights on my 2010 i30 aren't wonderful I admit, though as I rarely drive far out of town it isn't a problem. If it were a problem I'd probably have studied some of the posts on different lamps/bulbs/globes - or fitted high-up spots. :)

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
@Just Rick has a very effective set up which he might like to tell you about. :cool:

He had a number of roo related incidents didn't he?

Anyway I think probably the basics were covered: i30 headlights tend to be set low - so adjusting up has helped some. changing bulbs can help. fogs don't really (and often illegal except in fog). lightbars can be good esp. if doing a lot and/or long distance rural driving - but often you want to fit them on a bump bar.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal