i30 Owners Club

Sudden 3k rev limit

Craig · 22 · 14643

Offline Craig

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
Well everything had been running smooth until today.  I was merging with traffic and put my foot down. Revs went to 3000 and then stopped as if I'd hit a limiter.  Even the 3000 revs didn't seem to boost speed, the car actually slowed like it was engine braking. No warnings or lights came on the dash, just the 3k rev limit.  Perhaps oddly it was still pulling fine up to 3k revs, so it was easily drivable, but even wot would not get it past 3000.

Once home I left the car for about fifteen minutes then went back out and tried to recreate the problem. No dice. Revved past 3k no problem in neutral, first and second. Not been able to try it in D again yet.

Any ideas? I would expect something visible if it was in limp mode but nothing appeared on the dash that I saw.  3/4 tank of Shell regular diesel left in the tank, though the station was unfamiliar to me at the last fill, but on a busy enough road.  I had been going up and down big hills for half an hour before then. Didn't seem to have a problem but I want pushing it too hard so might not have hit 3k anyway.  Car was serviced approx 1000 miles ago by a non-hyindai shop. 

The engine has always run nicely and there's still never a puff of any kind of smoke.

It's possible that it's been a while since I actually tried to rev it past 3k, but I'm stumped as to why there's no dash indication of a problem.
  • 2010 i30 1.6 CRDi comfort auto (pre facelift) & 2017 Hyundai Ioniq hybrid

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
No direct ideas except to say... this seems vaguely familiar..

I think we had a similar report of rev limiting like that though not sure when (though likely in the last year or just over as I read it on here as a new posting at the time).  Can't remember any specific details (engine type, etc.) sorry - though I seem to recall the person saying it happened just after turning a corner and they thought that may have been involved... I am pretty sure it wasn't but that detail seems to have stuck with me.

Anyway I would have expected, like you, to have got indicator for this happening - if it was because the engine saw a malfunction.   Which makes me wonder... do you have cruise-control?   I seem to recall a report on the forum of that causing issues with acceleration (or similar) but it may not apply, even if you do have it, as I think that was 2008 and the CC got changed (or improved).   Anyway IIRC FD diesels have an electronic accelerator (i.e. fly-by-wire) rather than a cable - and the CC plugged into the input.  However in all cases I would have though you would have got an indicator on the dash.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline Craig

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
No cruise on mine. I did get a thumpthumpthump under firm braking but figured that was a pad on the way out. Guess I'll monitor the situation and try my ODB2 reader if it happens again.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Some things to consider in this thread (particularly the links that Dazz posted)

:link: No power after 3000rpm
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Craig

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow

After reading through some of the links from there, I'm going to go with 'extremes of movement' (15% slopes with quick transitions) and possibly the new fuel filter at service not being exactly the correct one?  I don't normally have a need to go over 2.5rpm but I need to know that I can if the situation arises!

Some things to consider in this thread (particularly the links that Dazz posted)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

After reading through some of the links from there, I'm going to go with 'extremes of movement' (15% slopes with quick transitions) and possibly the new fuel filter at service not being exactly the correct one?  I don't normally have a need to go over 2.5rpm but I need to know that I can if the situation arises!

Could be a crack in the fuel filter housing. It is basically limp home mode.  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Craig

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow

Could be a crack in the fuel filter housing. It is basically limp home mode.  :undecided:

Thanks for the pointer.  I'll get the garage to look at that specifically.  I'm still a bit confused as to why limp home mode would have no indication that it had kicked in, and so little effect (relatively) on performance.

Offline Craig

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
I see that there are two fuel filters available for the car, one for Czech-built vehicles and a different one for the Korean-build cars.  Does anyone know if it's physically possible for the wrong filter to have been fitted? 

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Can't help about filters, etc.

However getting the codes from OBDII might be useful, great you have a reader - the codes given may also explain why it doesn't illuminate anything in the dash.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Revs went to 3000 and then stopped as if I'd hit a limiter.

Happened to me once about 50.000 km ago, never done it again. I just stopped the car, ignition off, and then it went on as if nothing happened.  :P
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline c0mbat

• 2nd Gear

• de Germany
      Kaiserslautern

• 2010 i30 1.6l CRDi Blue, 6 Speed
This happened to me as well. I traced it to a faulty fuel filter. This was after fearing I had the diesel gas bug and draining my tank (which was full) and changing the fuel pump filter. The 3k limit persisted so I changed the fuel filter, which after some research, found to be the old version. There are two part numbers, one supersedes the other. Something about bad fuel pressure coming from the older filter part number. I'd go to the dealer (unfortunately) and see if they have the most current filter. The part number they gave me for the newer one is 31922-2R900.

My problems started on a trip to Paris from Germany and I had to "limp" home at 3k RPM which equaled about 60km. Not fun and a little scary.

I think if you do a google search you will find information about the redesigned fuel filter.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 00:00:47 by c0mbat »
  • 2010 i30 1.6 CRDi Blue, 6 Speed

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks c0mbat. I don't think many of us were aware that the wrong filter was one of the causes.

Offline diesel1984

• 3rd Gear
Have a look at my post about 3000rpm limit. It is not always fuel filter that is wrong.

:link: Solving DTC P1186 on 1.6 CRDI

Filter that they gave you is the wrong one.

This part number 31922-2R900 doesn't have the tube inside center of the filter that is stopping fuel cavitations(bubbles) in fuel filter.
Found that fuel filter from Filtron manufacturer model: PP979/2 have this tube and after i fitted this filter car is faultless.
Original Mobis/Hyundai/kia fuel filter that is faultless with center tube fitted: 31922-4H001

Look at this TSB:

« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 16:30:58 by diesel1984 »
  • 1.6crdi

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Some interesting information from the last couple of posts  :goodjob:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
I'm a bit late, but one member in Australia. had that problem back in 2008. it was Bob from S A , he had the early 2008 model CRDi , i had a mid to late 2008 CRDi . He had it come and go but was only when he went to rev over 3,000, as he was a conservative driver did not need to rev the diesel that high often. so took longer to sort out but eventually they changed the fuel filter mounting , not the filter itself but the fitting it mounts too, they said they updated that in late 2008. so as yours is 2010?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

@diesel1984 thanks for that! @Lakes yes, crack in fuel filter housing lets air in same as wrong filter apparently (same result)  :idea: :goodjob:

Offline tweety

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Strathbogie, Vic
Hi,

Regular readers will recall my recent query on my CRDI (March 2008) not starting easily. Took it to Hyundai dealer- couldn't find any fault.

The  fuel filter was replaced with an original one from Hyundai, still ne change.

And we commence dour round Oz trip a few days ago towing our 600kg caravan as seen here also. Now we have a 3000 rpm limit. This doesn't worry us much as we also don't need to go over that often just in third up a hill so to get it in 4th as the space of gear ratios between 3rd and 4th is quite long.

We aren't going to spend time searching for an issue on our trip if the trip isn't effected but I would also like to know what the issue is. My gut feeling is fuel pump. I say that because the engine having starting issues it must not be getting fuel. Hyundai checked the fuel filter housing and it was ok.

Economy figures not obtained yet. looks like 650 km to a tank at this stage. Done 470litres and its one quarter left on the dial. Cruises at 105kph in 5th on cruise control quite well.
  • i30 crdi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Tweety, Thanks for the update. Apparently if they use the wrong fuel filter the limp home mode can happen. There are two filters, they changed some time in 2008 I think. There is info on here somewhere about it.  :cool:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Does the 3k limit happen suddenly or right from starting the car. I suspect air in fuel lines, I doubt it is the fuel pump IMO.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline tweety

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Strathbogie, Vic
it occurs usually or everytime when normal operating temperature. then when cold in the morning its ok for about 30 minutes then it can happen.

same with the starting  issue. likely linked. only when engine warm and we want to start it again it takes a few goes. its like the old days when engines had vapour lock.

• i30 crdi

Offline Craig

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
I had my fuel filter replaced two weeks ago and the problem hasn't recurred since. I've kicked it past 3k rpm on almost every trip since then just to be sure :D

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal