i30 Owners Club

Hi & Swap out of I30 Stereo.

Offline James875

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sunshine Coast, NSW
Hi everyone, Just joined up to tell you all about how easy it is to swap the non Bluetooth stereo with a Bluetooth model In a 2010 i30.

We purchased a December 2010 SLX model that didn't have the Bluetooth but had the aux/ usb and temperature readout. woot/...
 But as its my wife's car she was non accepting of the vehicle until i could work out a solution for the lack of Bluetooth.

So I found a guy wrecking a 2011  with the Bluetooth stereo intact for free,
This is how easy it is: (contrary to what Hyundai told us its easy and very simple to do!)

Tools: One Phillips head screwdriver. AND the radio code for the replacement unit. You dont want to have to pay Hyundai $$$ (probably a good idea to also see if yours has one first before unplugging in case of reversal of the process.)

Time: Quicker than writing this post.

S1) Open the little glove box style thing on top of the stereo and lift out the little rubber mat, unscrew the four phillips head or X screws,  >>>>two at the  front (nearest the stereo) and two at the back (nearest the windscreen.) Then slide it forwards gently  while lifting it out....firmly but gently, You wont need a tool just grab and pull towards the back of the car  while lifting up towards the windscreen a little.

S2) You should now have the mini glovebox out and a giant hole there, with either one screw in the middle underneath the windscreen or four screws in the same spot. ( the car i took it out of had four screws, Mine had one)

S3) Once screws removed gently pull (with your fingers on the left and right of the black trim surround in the direction of the back of the car and the whole facia simply unclips and slides off.

S4) Optional Unclip the aircon seat heater etc control looms or simply just leave them connected and lower the facia on its side.   

S5) Unscrew the four screws holding the radio in via the radio mount tabs slide it forwards and out, unclip the looms and your halfway done.... Installation is obviously the reverse of what you just did.

S6) Reclaim you sanity or in my case my new car because the wifes car now has Bluetooth.... Not sure about the temp display as it doesn't come on the screen when the radios on, but whats the point of that anyway. Its either hot or cold in Australia.

• MY10 i30 Diesel

Offline Aye30

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
Turning the temp display on or off is a button press in the hidden audio menu. It has been mentioned on here before. It was probably set to off in the donor car, as it may not have had the sensor.

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Turning the temp display on or off is a button press in the hidden audio menu. It has been mentioned on here before. It was probably set to off in the donor car, as it may not have had the sensor.

The method to turn temperature on is found: :link: Aust - FD i30 - Missing Outside Temp. Here is how to fix it!

The method to calculate security code from serial is found: :link: FD-01 Headunit - Priced New - bonus info: there is a duplicate S/N sticker on the inside of the lid... in case the external one is damaged.

When I did mine - some photos are kicking around here - I did find the mounting brackets to be different between the two headunits.  Meaning using the ones that came with the FD-01 unit, which need slight adjustment to fit properly on the dash mount points.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline James875

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sunshine Coast, NSW
Awesome thanks guys for the info.
I will give the temp sens a shot now :)
I must of been lucky as it slid in and fit like a glove, Looks exactly the same apart from the handset buttons.
Does anyone know if theres a menu button like the older model ? The bass seems a little lacking compared to the other stereo?
  • MY10 i30 Diesel

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Press the knob on the right to access eq settings

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

• 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline James875

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sunshine Coast, NSW
Temp sens works well :) Thanks again guys.
  • MY10 i30 Diesel

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
One thing to keep an eye on with the temp gauge on the FD-01... if the head unit you bought has never had its firmware updated, you might find the temp reading going funning when it is 2 or less degrees. Mine used to start counting down from 60 degrees. If it does anything like that just take the car to Hyundai for a firmware upgrade

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

• 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline James875

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sunshine Coast, NSW
" when it is 2 or less degrees.
Hehe il let you know if it ever gets below 2 degrees here in Brisbane
I might actually get them to update the firmware for it when it goes in for recall work that the previous owner never got done.....
  • MY10 i30 Diesel

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal