i30 Owners Club

Noise when raising clutch pedal?

Offline Bubbacpt

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      West Lothian

• i30 1.6 CRDi SE NAV
Based in the UK I Put the car in for its 30,000 mile interim service yesterday to local Hyundai dealer. Probably not connected but purely a coincidence, last night I noticed I'm getting a noise when slowly lifting the clutch pedal to biting point to move off, only happening in 1st gear and only happens sometimes. It's like a light grinding noise that I've never heard before. The car will be 2 years old in August this year. It's a i30 1.6 crdi active blue drive. Anyone help please.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 10:24:55 by Bubbacpt »
  • Hyundai i30 1.6 CRDi SE NAV 6 speed manual

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Release bearing?.???

Think clutch is 2 year warranty, check service book, as still in warranty get dealer to check
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Yeah, sounds like that to me too (metaphorically speaking) although I know them as thrust or throwout bearing. They can get quite noisy without failing sometimes...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Bubbacpt

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      West Lothian

• i30 1.6 CRDi SE NAV
Is it safe to continue driving the car in the meantime if it's a clutch bearing, and if I take car to dealer I'd expect to be charged for them to diagnose the problem but would I be refunded if they find a problem. Is that cost covered under the warranty? I should also mention that it's fine going up and down the gears when moving and seems to be ok in the morning when cold, notice it more when engine has warmed up pulling away from traffic lights and roundabouts etc.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 12:53:09 by Bubbacpt »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
If it is the release/thrust bearing it will be fine to drive it. I would just ask them to listen to it and get their opinion. Hopefully they can hear it and make a genuine judgement. If it is only faint and the clutch and gearbox are performing normally I would just get them to note it on their records in case it gets worse later in the warranty period.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Bubbacpt

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      West Lothian

• i30 1.6 CRDi SE NAV
Thanks for your help and advice guys, I'll get them to have a look and note it.

Offline Patrick

• 1st Gear
I have a 2014 i30 1.6 crdi 40,000km with same issue. After warming up and in heavy traffic, when moving off in 1st, get a noise and slight vibration in clutch pedal when clutch is engaging. Noise is subtle like a chair leg scraping on a polished floor when getting up from the table is probably how i can best explain. Seems to be happening more frequently. Will bring to dealer and get some advise. Let us know of any developments.
  • 2014 i30 1.6 crdi

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
I recently had the same noise, and after taking it to the dealer they claimed that it was due to "lack of grease on the spline" where the friction plate and the gearbox shaft contact.

HY refused warranty claim as this was "not a fault with the car."  I'm still arguing this point with them to get my $1800 back from the fix.
  • 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal