i30 Owners Club

Have I bought a duff Diesel 1.6CRDi?

Offline skimanant

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands
Had a 1.4 petrol before, upgraded to a 1.6 CRdi.
Firstly, after a motorway run, about 80 miles, it is quiet (certainly can hear it ticking) and smoother.
Concerns-
When I switch on/ off there is a bit of engine shudder (which I think is normal for diesel using up excess fuel?), but also a bit or exhaust shudder. Is this normal. Same when warm or cold.

When I start up it is really noisy/ rattley. It doesn't cut out, but is quite tappy and the engine feels like it idles slowly and struggles, then gets a bit faster, not obviously missing but nearly.

In first and second, even when warm, the engine is much noisier than up the gears.

Vibration. Had wheels balanced, but it does it all the time, not when moving. The sun visor visibly shakes. If you put your hand on/ look at the bonnet you can see it vibrating (including on tickover). The vibration can be felt through the gearstick, handbrake leaver, the compartment in the middle were you store cds.

I am told all of this is normal for a diesel. It has about 20000 on it.

Does it sound plausible and I am being too fussy? Definitely much harsher than the previous petrol (except in 5/6 on motorway, where it is nice), and much noisier on tickover warm or cold.

Sorry for the list- I'm unsure were to go to for real advice!
  • i30 1.6 diesel

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
That doesn't seem right. I have owned three diesel i30's and none vibrated like that. For sure you can expect the engine to sound a little rattly when first started - but once hot it is almost as smooth as a petrol engine.

The fact that the car and bonnet vibrates when stationary indicates that it needs to be looked at. The i30 diesel is one of the most refined and noted for its smooth running.

How old is the car.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Vibration is a concern, worn or broken engine/gearbox mount might be a place to look  :undecided:

Offline skimanant

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands
Its a late 2014.

The dealer has told me its all normal. You can feel the door vibrating when open. I asked about having thee engine mounts checked, don't know if they did.
If its idling with the bonnet up, you can see the engine bouncing around a little?
  • i30 1.6 diesel

Offline skimanant

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands
You can also feel the tickover through the steering wheel?
  • i30 1.6 diesel

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
If the dealer thinks it's normal (which I don't believe is) ask them to lend you an equivalent diesel to compare with.

Or get a second opinion - plenty of Hyundai dealers around Birmingham.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
If the dealer thinks it's normal (which I don't believe is) ask them to lend you an equivalent diesel to compare with.

Or get a second opinion - plenty of Hyundai dealers around Birmingham.

:whsaid:

Offline skimanant

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands
Yeah, I will try that, even just starting one up and listening to it I think would be quite obvious. Do diesel engines deteriorate/ get worse in 20000 ish miles, or is that negligible?

I hired a citroen cactus diesel last summer, admittedly it had about 2000 on the clock. The citroen was way quieter/ smoother/ less ticky.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 18:46:25 by skimanant »
  • i30 1.6 diesel

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Diesel engine improve as the miles get clocked up. Mine has just clocked 29,000 miles and is smoothing out really nicely :)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I believe that all your concerns are quite normal behavior. The Diesel runs @ ~ 17.5:1 compression ratio and this will naturally cause a little more vibration than a petrol engine.

The knocking at idle is characteristic of all Diesel's too. It is due to the way the flame front burns in the combustion chamber, almost an explosion in fact. This reduces as speed builds up and the injectors vary their amount of fuel an input timing to the cylinder.

Its all part of being a Diesel owner IMO. Doesn't worry me in the least because it repays me at the bowser.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welc1

I find diesels harsh especially after owning a couple of Hybrid cars. I think you need to try a couple of other similar age i30 diesels to see if it is a problem or if you are just hyper sensitive to the diesel shake. I suspect yours has an engine mount or other issue from what you describe.

I didn't find my 2008 Diesel hatch particularly harsh, but notice it a bit more now when I get in/ drive one.

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Can't say I have ever found any of my diesels to be harsh.

They kick over nice and quick and without any noticable difference to the many petrol cars I drive. I would say there is a bit more engine noise on idle, but to me that is just the sound of savings.....
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Can't say I have ever found any of my diesels to be harsh.

They kick over nice and quick and without any noticable difference to the many petrol cars I drive. I would say there is a bit more engine noise on idle, but to me that is just the sound of savings.....

I can feel a bit of vibration through the drivetrain and steering when I drive most diesels now. Not that it has put me off.. I still like the torque.  :cool:

Offline skimanant

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands
Thank you everyone for your' thoughts.

It could be I am too sensitive and I need to adjust I admit. My previous 1.4 petrol was virtually silent, and didn't do any of these things, and I was sure I read somewhere how refined the 1.6 diesels were, but I wouldn't say it is "refined". I admit it is my first diesel owned (although I have hired a few and been impressed), but it is definitely not the "smoothest"!
I will try to get to listen to/ drive a couple of others- will let you know.
  • i30 1.6 diesel

Offline skimanant

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands
Tried two cars.

One very similar age/ mileage. It was quieter/ smoother/ less vibration. Not massively, but noticeably. Also tried a diesel a couple of years older. This seemed to have more vibration through the steering wheel, but revved and ran more smoothly.
Mine seems to be ticking over a little heavily/ slowly.
Dealer offered to have ECU reset? (or something like that). I currently get just over 62mpg, warned me this could be affected.
So, should I say yes, and should I ask for engine and clutch mounts to be checked?
  • i30 1.6 diesel

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

ECU reset may be as simple as just disconnecting the -tive terminal of the battery for a minimum of 30 mins. Worth a try at home maybe.  :undecided:

Are they going to charge you to do it or do it under warranty?

I wouldn't worry about it effecting your mileage. I'm sure it would settle down again. Wouldn't hurt to get the mounts etc.. checked. :goodjob:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal