i30 Owners Club

I30 Diesel auto fuel economy.

Offline Addicks10

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
I am amazed at the fuel economy I am able to get out of my 2015 diesel auto. My most recent journey was 295 miles. My tank was full when I started out and when I refilled I put in less that 3.90 UK gallons back too full tank. That gave me greater than 76 mpg. Has anyone else achieved this level of fuel economy? Jim

• I30 1.6 Diesel DCT Auto

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcome:

That is a great result.. So that was "brim" to "brim"?
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Addicks10

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Sure was. I had previously hit 71mpg and was impressed with that. It seems that unlike VW and others, that if you drive with a light right foot and keep a steady 60mph, that you really can achieve published economy figures.
  • I30 1.6 Diesel DCT Auto

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I tend to get 4.4 l/100 kms which I believe is 64 mpg in my everyday driving.
Mine's a U2/6 speed manual.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Heady

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Berkshire
I've only been in possession of my 2nd hand 2013 GD Tourer (6 speed Auto) for approx. 20ish days... but in that time have done more than 1000miles.

I installed an ODBII bluetooth dongle and have been using an App on the phone to keep track of the fuel consumption over many of my trips.

An example of a longish trip (from ODBII):
* 132miles in 2hr44mins
* Urban:          10% 46mpg
* Extra-urban: 61% 71mpg
* Highway:      29% 61mpg
* Average:       64mpg

An example of a commute (from ODBII):
* 11miles in 36mins
* Urban:          47% 29mpg
* Extra-urban: 53% 51mpg
* Highway:      --% --mpg
* Average:       37mpg

I have also been keeping track of fuel/mileage in a log book.
Over the last 2 tanks:
* 46mpg & 45mpg

The dash trip computer reports very different values... but I'm assuming that its still affected by the driving style of the previous owner.

As the ECU learns from the drivers driving style - I'm hoping that the values will get better over time...?
  • 2013 CRDi GD 5 Door Tourer, Diesel 1.6lt, Auto

Offline Heady

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Berkshire

The dash trip computer reports very different values... but I'm assuming that its still affected by the driving style of the previous owner.

As the ECU learns from the drivers driving style - I'm hoping that the values will get better over time...?
This time last week I disconnected the battery for a day or so while I was away and not using the vehicle.
After commuting so far this week the dash trip computer is showing a healthier mpg value than before the reset.
Prior to the reset the mpg value was low 30's - now the mpg value is low 40's.  (Currently 41.something).

I don't notice a huge difference regarding the behaviour of the engine or gear change.  Although, now when travelling at 50mi/hr - I can consistently get it to upshift and sit at 1,500rpm; which improves the instantaneous mpg greatly.
I'm not sure if this is the result of the reset or just the psychological results of looking harder after the reset?

Offline XinZhao

• 3rd Gear

• hr Croatia
The best result I got was 59.5 (3.9 l/100km) mpg in 550 km of very easy driving. I was testing the best I can get. i30 FD 1.6 Crdi 90 hp

The funny thing is that I had 3.3 l/100km showing on ECU.

Before, I had to add up only 0.3-0.4 l/100km to the value on the ECU to get the real value. This time it was 0.6.
Keep in mind that I have DPF so
when the regen started and finished the numbers change pretty much.
I was driving 63km/h most of the time. Almost never over that. The other speed that I found has best economy was 43km/h.
  • i30 1.6 CRDi 66kW with DPF, made 2011. in Czech

Offline Heady

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Berkshire
Reporting back after the ECU reset (removing the battery) a fortnight ago.

From the ODBII statistics - (at least for commuting) it looks to be worth the effort with a ~40% improvement as per ODBII values.
The Dash Trip Computer values are now also higher - having settled on 42.2mpg at the moment (up from the 37.1mpg from before the reset).
However, on the last tank - the overall calculated mpg from fuel topup dropped from 46mpg to 41mpg; which is more in-line with the Dash Trip Computer values...  (but this is a bit of a mystery given the ODBII improved values?)

An example of commute #1 (from ODBII):
* 14.6miles in 26:41mins (2:35min stopped)
* Urban:           31% 38.6mpg
* Extra-urban: 50% 63.8mpg
* Highway:      19% 61.0mpg
* Average:       52.7mpg

An example of commute #2 (from ODBII):
* 13.7miles in 36:26mins (7:56min stopped)
* Urban:           44% 38.7mpg
* Extra-urban: 56% 69.0mpg
* Highway:      --% --mpg
* Average:       51.1mpg
[repeat of the trip reported in my previous post]

I have yet to do a longish trip - maybe later today or tomorrow - but will report back when I do.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

These short trips are not going to mean much at all. It is much better and more meaningful to just manually calculate after using each tankful. Much more reflective of your real world useage. I realize you are trying to corelate the results of your OBD and Trip Computer as well but longer trips over say 100 miles will give you a much better idea.

Offline Heady

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Berkshire
These short trips are not going to mean much at all. It is much better and more meaningful to just manually calculate after using each tankful. Much more reflective of your real world useage.
Agreed - which is why I'm recording both. (and also the interest in why the Dash Trip Computer, ODBII & Fuel Log differ significantly.)
I realize you are trying to corelate the results of your OBD and Trip Computer as well but longer trips over say 100 miles will give you a much better idea.

Well after a trip of 140miles - the results show that via the ODBII values - fuel consumption is ~4% worse.

A rerun of the longish trip (from ODBII):
* 140.5miles in 2hr52mins (stopped 5:33mins)
* Urban:           10% 44.0mpg
* Extra-urban: 59% 67.1mpg
* Highway:      29% 60.8mpg
* Average:       61.7mpg
[repeat of the longish trip reported in my previous post]

Therefore, the previous ECU parameters (whatever they were) would seem to be more efficient for long distance at motorway speeds.   :confused:
The Dash Trip Computer showed 44.4mpg after the longish trip.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Fairy nuff! Did you do a brim to brim test as well, for actuals?  :undecided:

Offline Heady

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Berkshire
Fairy nuff! Did you do a brim to brim test as well, for actuals?  :undecided:
Not yet...  I've got 1/3 of a tank to go before empty... I've got another longish trip tomorrow so might have the fuel log values after that.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:goodjob:

Offline Heady

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Berkshire
Well after a trip of 140miles - the results show that via the ODBII values - fuel consumption is ~4% worse.

* Average:       61.7mpg

The Dash Trip Computer showed 44.4mpg after the longish trip.
It took a bit longer to get though the rest of the tank & I've been posted away for work for a little while so this has been my first chance to provide an update...

The fuel consumption calculated from the fuel log gives = 46.14mpg (which is 0.84mpg better than the previous fuel-log best)...
This was "brimmed" with an uplift of 50.05L.  Basically a "no change" from the fuel-log numbers reported in my previous post.

Quote from: Heady
I have also been keeping track of fuel/mileage in a log book.
Over the last 2 tanks:
* 46mpg & 45mpg
* 46.14mpg

Maybe its time to see if chipping it - improves the overall fuel consumption values?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:goodjob:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I've heard there's some really cool fuel economy calculator on this site somewhere. :whistler:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Heady

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Berkshire
I've heard there's some really cool fuel economy calculator on this site somewhere. :whistler:
Yes - thanks.  I've used it to check my spreadsheet calculations.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :D
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Heady

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Berkshire
In an attempt to improve the fuel consumption values for my 2nd hand 2013 GD Tourer (6 speed Auto) I finally purchased one of these:
RaceChip Pro 2 : :link: Performance chips ? Chip tuning by RaceChip.  On their website they do claim improvements of 1L/100km.

Reporting back after installation.

I repeated the same longish 140miles trip undertaken before - the results show that via the ODBII values - fuel consumption is ~16% worse!

* 140.4miles in 2hr57mins (stopped 5:34mins)
* Urban:           12% 42.0mpg
* Extra-urban: 56% 58.0mpg
* Highway:      32% 52.6mpg
* Average:       53.7mpg

Therefore, at least via ODBII values the jury is out whether the RaceChip Pro 2 is effective for improving fuel consumption.
After only installing it yesterday (Sat) I haven't undertaken any commutes yet to compare.   :confused:
I'll run with the RaceChip Pro 2 for two-three full tanks and compare and report back.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Has it got adjustments? A decent drive with proper brim to brim calculations should give you a better idea (as you have planned to do}.  :cool:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Would also pay to leave the battery disconnected for a good half hour or so to reset the ecu & trip computer...  :undecided:

Offline Heady

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Berkshire
Has it got adjustments? A decent drive with proper brim to brim calculations should give you a better idea (as you have planned to do}.  :cool:
In theory - there are two rotary dials that can be adjusted.  Its just that RaceChip don't say what the two dials are for.  There is another post in another thread that talks about one being for rev range and the other power boost.  However, I don't know where that info came from.

I was going to contact RaceChip during the week and ask what can be done.  I'm still under the 14day return period so now is the time to contact RaceChip and make any displeasure known.

Depending of the amount of driving to be done this week - it may take a little while to get through two tanks... 

Offline Heady

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Berkshire
Would also pay to leave the battery disconnected for a good half hour or so to reset the ecu & trip computer...  :undecided:
Yes - I've thought of that - I've yet to do anything though.  I suspect that it would be best to do that just after the next fill up.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I fitted a RaceChip (not the Pro) in mine a few years back. After 10.000 km I got faulty sensors in the DPF. I have no idea if the chip caused it, but Hyundai DK had never before had one of these on their stock.

As the chip fools the ECU to give more fuel due to a false signal I don't know for sure if the chip is at fault, but I haven't dared to fit it again. You can find a few in this forum mention no problems, but I think most of them is from OZ where they don't have the DPF.

In the 10.000 km I didn't measure any improvement in fuel economy. I did however feel an improvement in power and torque but as it was fitted in the winter it wasn't the right conditions to use the extra power...  :P
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I fitted a RaceChip (not the Pro) in mine a few years back. After 10.000 km I got faulty sensors in the DPF. I have no idea if the chip caused it, but Hyundai DK had never before had one of these on their stock.

As the chip fools the ECU to give more fuel due to a false signal I don't know for sure if the chip is at fault, but I haven't dared to fit it again. You can find a few in this forum mention no problems, but I think most of them is from OZ where they don't have the DPF.

In the 10.000 km I didn't measure any improvement in fuel economy. I did however feel an improvement in power and torque but as it was fitted in the winter it wasn't the right conditions to use the extra power...  :P
It wouldn't surprise me if the chip tuning screwed up the DPF, all the tuning companies here will remove the DPF on vehicles when doing a modified tune.

$500 + to replace a DPF so most will get it removed and tuned at the same time for $1100
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 18:28:57 by CraigB »

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
But according to RaceChip's website their products are compatible with DPF's, but of course they have to write that...

A lot of people around here get a real ecu re-programming done without issues with the DPF and they actually get fuel economy improvements...
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Unfortunately I'm not the full bottle on DPF's or anything diesel for that matter  :p so I'm only going on what I've heard from friends with diesels and some of the tuners suggestions to their customers.

if RaceChip say their Chips are compatible with DPF's then they would have to warrant that and really there wouldn't be any difference from the RaceChip to an ECU re-write as it's just a fuel pressure increase for diesels I believe, if there's something not right with the injectors due to the tune though that can apparently screw up the DPF as well as crap fuel and using the wrong oil.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
A RaceChip, or any other chip tuning box for that matter, only give that false signal so the ECU give more fuel. A correct performed ECU remap will alter other settings than just fuel pressure, hence the real fuel economy experience with a remap.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Heady

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Berkshire
A RaceChip, or any other chip tuning box for that matter, only give that false signal so the ECU give more fuel. A correct performed ECU remap will alter other settings than just fuel pressure, hence the real fuel economy experience with a remap.
Problem is that a full ECU remap; although the best solution is identifiable during any servicing and any ECU software upgrades would overwrite.  That is why I went with RaceChip as a couple of seconds before a service and the whole device is removed.

Although, your DPF problem is the first I've seen anyone mention a related issue.  I'll keep it in mind.

I've contacted RaceChip and see what they say.  At the end of the day - it might be that I only install the device when I'm towing and leave it out for all normal day-to-day driving.

I've now got commuting values...

A rerun of the Commuting #1 trip (from ODBII):
* 14.5miles in 0hr26mins (stopped 2:53mins)
* Urban:           32% 43.2mpg
* Extra-urban: 44% 63.9mpg
* Highway:      24% 54.0mpg
* Average:       53.0mpg

A rerun of the Commuting #2 trip (from ODBII):
* 13.2miles in 0hr30mins (stopped 4:21mins)
* Urban:           37% 33.6mpg
* Extra-urban: 63% 78.0mpg
* Highway:      0% ----mpg
* Average:       52.2mpg

So about a ~1-2% improvement relating to my commuting.  But the ~16% decrease on B/A & Motorway would pretty quickly negate any improvement during commuting.

Interesting...

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal