i30 Owners Club

F*@k&n Turbo!

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
I'm starting to think this car just wants to slowly send me broke!

After having my Turbo replaced under warranty by Hyundai 2 years ago at 90,000km my car now has 148,000km and the stupid whistle sound has come back!

I'm sick to death of this car giving me a hard time! The new turbo has been cooled every time before turning off and driven sensibility.

I spoke to a place that quoted me $4000 to replace the turbo, replace the intercooler and some sensor.

They were telling me that if there was a leak in the intercooler it could have over sped the turbo...

I'm at a loss, do I just get the turbo replaced and keep the car or piss it off and just buy a Petrol without all these expensive parts?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 11:54:17 by elantraelite »
  • 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I'd be looking to px for a new car so getting a benefit of a new warranty
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Sorry to hear that. You have generally been a big fan of the i30 and Elantra. As you know, it is not a real common failure for our members.  I can understand you getting frustrated after two failures though!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Many new petrol cars now have turbos.

More power, more low speed grunt, more economical - but more complicated.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
I think it is more common than one might think. A lot of owners would not even notice the whistle sound and continue to drive the car and most likely without a problem.

What I'm most frustrated about is that most places just want to take every dollar you own to repair it. If anyone knows of an honest repairer I'd love to speak to them

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Just saying are you sure it is the turbo this time(turbo should lasst longer than what your quoting) I had a similar experience when I had Cyril,the whisling I was getting was cuased by perferated intercooler hoses,geez you can get a low K long motor and fitted for $3500.mind you only 3 mths warranty
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

I think it is more common than one might think. A lot of owners would not even notice the whistle sound and continue to drive the car and most likely without a problem.

What I'm most frustrated about is that most places just want to take every dollar you own to repair it. If anyone knows of an honest repairer I'd love to speak to them

Is the replacement not still within warranty of time or k's?

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I guess it's a 2009 FD car Lester and now out of warranty.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

I guess it's a 2009 FD car Lester and now out of warranty.
I gathered the car may be and the replacement usually only gets the remainder of the manufacturers but wondered whether the replacement may have come with its own additional warranty

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
I'd love to think it's not the turbo and an easy fix like a hose... but I'm not going to be optimistic.

It was replaced in warranty, but the warranty ran out in July 14

It's just been a shit year, the partner and I are almost at the end of our rope and now this.

We've had a stroke in the family, my partner's dad passed away, we've had to sell our house, the buyers of our place have been an emotional nightmare to deal with, looking for the next house to buy has been stressful, then my partner got redundant from their job and on top of all that we are going through IVF... and now the stupid i30 wants a piece of me!

Really sorry to vent. We both just need some normality in our lives.
I really appreciate everyone's advise.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Sorry to read this, i would just keep driving it ,as they say if it an't broke, leave it. unless you drive in remote area's.
petrol turbo's spin at a higher rev as petrol motors rev higher. with diesel pulling from low rev the turbin spins at lower speeds & does not get as hot as petrol turbo's so last longer, or should.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
If there is an issue Hyundai need to fix it.

The real definition comes down to what is reasonable for the circumstances. It is clearly not reasonable for a fault fixed by Hynudai under warranty to come back so soon, so they will need to remedy it.

Read the Accc web site and quote these things back to Hyundai. If they don't want to play ball, speak to the ACCC.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Wow! You have had a shocking run. You are due for a big change of fortunes hopefully...

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Sorry to hear you're both doing it tough, even worse than my year, I think. I'd check out the suggested perforated hoses option first.  :exclaim:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Sorry to hear about all your troubles. My best wishes for a better future.

How bad is the noise..?  I've had the turbo whistle for the last 130,000 km....  :whistler:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Thanks for the advise everyone.

It hasn't been a great year, but there is people a lot worse off. You just have to look forward and move on.

The noise is not too loud at this stage. It has a service today and the mechanic said he wouldn't be too worried just yet as long as it doesn't get any louder.

To be honest, this is probably the most problematic Hyundai I have owned. It's a great car when its running well.

I'll keep driving it for the moment. Considering whether we piss thing off and get a new Elantra and possibly tow the camper with my partners GD diesel i30.

Has anyone heard of a GD diesel having turbo issues? I don't think I have heard of one here... I compared the turbo and intercooler between my FD and GD and the turbo is positioned slightly different and has a bigger bell housing on the GD, the intercooler is much bigger too.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Has anyone heard of a GD diesel having turbo issues? I don't think I have heard of one here... I compared the turbo and intercooler between my FD and GD and the turbo is positioned slightly different and has a bigger bell housing on the GD, the intercooler is much bigger too.

That's interesting. I assumed they would nearly be identical. Good to see they continue to make improvements.  :goodjob:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Sorry to hear about all your troubles. My best wishes for a better future.

How bad is the noise..?  I've had the turbo whistle for the last 130,000 km....  :whistler:

:whsaid:
You've had a crap year and I really hope things take a turn for the better for you @elantraelite.
As Asterix said, I thjink it's quite normal. Both my cars (my previous FD and my current GD) have a bit of a whistle (sounds a bit like a siren) but it hasn't got any worse and I'm now up to 186,000 (almost) trouble-free kms.
I'd be getting an independent opinion and if you're not happy with the car after that, it may be time to move it on, more for peace of mind.
  • Tertius the i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal