i30 Owners Club

DPF Regen with an Auto

Offline species20

• 1st Gear

• england England
      Northamptonshire
Hi All,

I have a 1.6 Diesel i30 with an automatic transmission and initially I was quite alarmed that on two occasions since getting the car which has done less than 100 miles there was a severe smell of burning entering the cabin which I now know to be the DPF regenerating.

My questions are, is this smell caused by an active regen?

Why has this happened twice with barely any mileage on the clock and I would think barely any soot in the DPF? My usual driving would be about 45-60 miles per day consisting of some urban but a good portion of 60-70mph limit roads and stretch of motorway.

I've seen posts saying you need to ensure the engine reaches higher revs 2500+ for good stretches but it's a 7 speed auto so high revs isn't exactly what it's designed to do. I'd end up putting it in manual mode and changing down which seems to defeat the object? Has anyone else got a Diesel auto with experience of how to manage this?

I love the car I just want to make sure if there's anything I should be doing to keep it working normally I take that into consideration.

Thank you  :)
  • i30 1.6 CRDi Auto DCT

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome!

We don't have DPFs in our i30s in Australia, but from what I understand your pattern of driving should do the job without any manual changing.

Will be interested to see what some of your countrymen think. @AlanHo 
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I think all is normal. High revs are not necessary or desirable in a Diesel engine. High revs is just a reference to ensuring the engine is at correct operating temperature. The smell will go away after the heat burns off any contaminants. I wouldn't change anything at this stage.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
My guess is that with a car so new - it must be some contaminants burning off the exhaust system. If it continues - a trip to the dealer is warranted - I don't see any reason for the DPF to regenerate within the first 100 miles. My previous i30 diesels used to regen at roughly 250 mile frequency. 

I now have a petrol car and free from diesel frustrations - instead a frustration with high fuel consumption - which of course I anticipated.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I assume the car is new, but it may have done some cold starts b4 ownership causing the deposits.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline species20

• 1st Gear

• england England
      Northamptonshire
Actually it definitely did, the dealer had it for a couple weeks after the delivery date trying to fix an issue with the seat pressure sensors. This may well explain it then.

Thanks guys, hopefully a few more runs down the motorway and it will sort itself out :)
  • i30 1.6 CRDi Auto DCT

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal