i30 Owners Club

CRDI suspected turbo failure only 53,000 ks

Offline heathejj

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Hi, it's my first time posting... I have a 2011 I30 CRDI SLX 6sp manual with 53,000ks. Iv owned it 6 months and purchased it with no warranty :( Cars are my hobby (well 4x4ing) and I dare say I have my fair share of experience with a spanner. But this car is going to be the death of me, as off a few days ago i notice a whining sound from around 1700 rpm to about 3000 (bit too much engine noise to really hear it over 3k anyway), noise is at its loudest around 2200 ish. Heres a link to a similar video I found with the same noise (Note:mines not quite this loud yet). also feels like im loosing a little bit of power as if it wont boost as hard, was hardly able to overtake at 100kph with the ac on in 6th as i usually can. The noise is most obvious when cruising around 2200 to 2600 (normal driving range) and I dont thrash the car, though I do use its power to get me upto speed. Vehicle also has almost full service history and I serviced it upon purchase with 5-30 i think? fully synthetic..... I notice alot of oil under the pipe from the turbo to the airbox too (replaced this in the first week as the one on it had split where it clamps to the turbo)...Im worried the turbo has a failing bearing and Im not in the position to spend that sorta money on parts :(

Forgive the spelling and grammer, hope it all made sense- dyslexia got me good dispite multiple edits urghhh)

so any ideas what this may be would be really appreciated... I did have the exhaust unbolted a few weeks ago but i cant notice any leaks (though maybe gasket is leaking and making a noise)

:link: hyundai i30 1.6 CRDi turbo failure - YouTube   
  • i30 crdi 20122 SLX

Offline diesel1984

• 3rd Gear
53 k km and 2011 with blown turbo.

How many times did they changed oil? Probably first time at 1000km second at 30.000, and third.. well at 60.000??
  • 1.6crdi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
:welcum: Not nice! Does sound suspiciously like a pending turbo failure unfortunately.  Try some searching for "turbo failure" in diesel problems for a bit more info. I'm time poor today and on tapatalk which is a bit limited. Hopefully others will be able to offer some more advice.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline heathejj

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Video inst mine but sounds identical (though slightly less whine in my case), drove her this morning and i can really hear it whining when its within the ideal rev range :( ebay sells genuine turbos for 950$ so this may be the best option....... :'( :'( :'( Pathetic considering I have full service history, appreciate the replies
  • i30 crdi 20122 SLX

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Unfortunately full service history tells you nothing as to how the previous driver actually operated the car...

If giving the car a workout such as high speed driving or operating the engine at high revs the turbo needs a minute or so to cool before shutting down the engine. 
It's quite possible the previous owner regularly neglected to do this, thus resulting in the "possible" premature failure of the turbo...  :undecided:

I guess it's the risk we take when we purchase secondhand vehicles...  :Pout:

Offline heathejj

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Very true, that's one of the things i'm very specific about-actually installed a turbo timer the day I picked u. Going to fix and sell the car after this- so over all these issues :(, central locking, cvs, door handles..... pretty poor build quality for a car that looks like it rolled out the factory yesterday
  • i30 crdi 20122 SLX

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Sounds like you have been unlucky. i30's are generally as reliable and well made as the better Japanese brands.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Yes, the dreaded "police siren" noise. Sounds like turbo but I'm no expert.   :disapp:
I hear mine a little bit sometimes but not obtrusive at all and I have always cooled the turbo after use. Mine is approaching 200,000 kms.
Wait for some other comments though as we have some mechanically knowledgeable members.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline heathejj

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Yeah the previous owner must have really hurt her, or I drew the short straw.....mum has a 2012 1.6 2 door and it has a terrible growl in reverse (not the normal loud reverse noise)... my previous 2011 auto 2.0 was a great car until the trans died at 140,000ks. I always seem to be the unlucky one hahaha
  • i30 crdi 20122 SLX

Offline heathejj

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
but yes a police siren is exactly how its best described, spent today inspecting for exhaust or manifold gasket leaks but nothing, turbo intake hose is soaked with oil though
  • i30 crdi 20122 SLX

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Wait for Cruiserfied's response as he will know and also CraigB's response who is also in Perth and has a lot of mechanical knowledge.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline heathejj

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Thanks mate, I look forward to hearing from em
  • i30 crdi 20122 SLX

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Wait for Cruiserfied's response as he will know and also CraigB's response who is also in Perth and has a lot of mechanical knowledge.
@cruiserfied will be ya man, I don't know diddly squat about turbo diesels :)

Offline heathejj

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
The vid you put up (not yours i know) is fairly loud as they go.
If yours is indeed similar and with the accompanying oil leak from the turbo hose them your more than likely have a noisy bearing for whatever reason.
Whether it is a sign or imminent failure or not is not clear. There are turbo's out there that fail in silence and there are one's that are still kicking on tens of thousands of km's down the road.
However you don't get a huge loss of power from just a noisy turbo, there may be an underlying concern causing the power loss, who knows.

You say you bought it with no warranty. New car warranty is 5yr unlimited km's. You said it is a 2011 model so potentially there is a small slim window possible depending on date of first rego. Would definately check that in the front of the service/owners manual.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
.... Going to fix and sell the car after this- so over all these issues :(, central locking, cvs, door handles..... pretty poor build quality for a car that looks like it rolled out the factory yesterday

:Shocked: :Shocked: CV s shot at 53,000 kms? that's impossible!!
Have you checked the engine number- has the engine/transmission been swapped from another car?
 Hyundai i30s are not as fragile as you lead us to believe .
From your initial remarks, I would suggest that you have bought a re-birthed car or repaired writeoff.
Sorry to be so negative, but I have been involved in this industry since the 1970s
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 08:28:01 by nzenigma »
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline heathejj

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
yeah the LHS cv developed a nice clicking, vehicle was bought at a reputable dealership and i saw the REVVS check papers so it was legit, turbo ended up getting louder and i had 2 diesel mech mates have a look who confirmed turbo failure so i traded her where i bought it from and picked up a 2012 mazda 3 :/ ...... really a shame as the I30 was the first car that i actually really liked and 6.1l/100ks was awesome!

ahh well mum stillhas her 2013 gd se 2 door 1.6 and shes happy with it so im sure i drew the short straw..... thanks to everyone who offered advice
  • i30 crdi 20122 SLX

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
yeah the LHS cv developed a nice clicking, vehicle was bought at a reputable dealership and i saw the REVVS check papers so it was legit, turbo ended up getting louder and i had 2 diesel mech mates have a look who confirmed turbo failure so i traded her where i bought it from and picked up a 2012 mazda 3 :/ ......

Bad luck mate, sorry to hear this.
A couple of comments if I may.  The LH suspension/drive may have been damaged in an accident and the cv replaced with a 2nd hand unit from the wreckers. Add to that your locking issues etc, its too much for such a young car.

The REVS check will not show any accident history if it was repaired by the insurer.
For instance, I have a nice looking i30 here that has minor damage, but it is a repairable write-off mainly due to its age and 98,000 kms. It has previously had some serious repairs done to it ( possibly twice) but they do not show on REVS.

Now that you have traded your i30 back to your "reputable dealership" I wonder if they will inform the next buyer that this car is a lemon?  :whistler: :whistler:

Good luck with the new Mazdabater 3. They have an excellent reputation. :)...unlike reputable dealers.  :rolleyes:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline heathejj

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I suspect your onto something there in regards to the possible accident mate, :/ they had the car in for a full inspection before i signed it over (as a wholesalers who paid the highest trade offer is taking it from the dealership).  and no issues were found upon inspection which i find hillarious...... just tells me something about their mechanics.... considering in no mech and i picked up the turbo issue and oil leak, and a few other mechanical issues i havnt even mentioned...

talk about buying a lemmon haha,  iv bought many $500 cars that were so much better then this 13k piece of fruit

"mazdabator" i want that as my licence plates ;)
  • i30 crdi 20122 SLX

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Turbo whine at 50,000 Mark seems common... So far I've only heard of it happening on the manual i30's?!
I had mine develop a whine at 60,000. Replaced that turbo and now developed the whine again with 50,000 on the replacement. With saying that the second was used for about 12,000km of towing a camper trailer and I enjoyed using the most of its torque on hand. Will be changing the turbo soon. I do love this car so I guess I'll fork out the money to keep it going

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

• 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hmmm curious, have you checked for whining kids in the back seat ?  :D

I repair a lot of diesel i30s. Turbos don't  seem to be a common problem, if at all.  Like you, I think they are a brilliant vehicle.
I did come across one on a 2014 GD that had destroyed itself at about 70,000 km from memory.
 Presently, I have a 2010  with 120,000 km that was driven hard for the past year or so, and also a one owner 2008 SLX @ 74,000km, both cars have no engine problems.

Added later, after some thought: A mechanic I work with a lot has a 4-5 man workshop near Brisbane. A few years ago we were discussing the virtues of the i30.  He mentioned that he had had a couple of noisy turbo jobs. They would have been under warranty  because he flicked them back at Hyundai. Given the amount on the road, certainly not a common fault.  It seems that you are double unlucky.

Good luck with the new turbo.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 03:37:55 by nzenigma »

Offline heathejj

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
shouldve kept her and fixed it as well........not liking 11l/100ks on the 2.0 in this mazda,.....not even much quicker off the mark then the td i30s 1.6..  :( :( :( :( :( :(
  • i30 crdi 20122 SLX

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Yes, you should have  :exclaim:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
shouldve kept her and fixed it as well........not liking 11l/100ks on the 2.0 in this mazda,.....not even much quicker off the mark then the td i30s 1.6..  :( :( :( :( :( :(
Why not go retro and have a little fun with a very affordable second-hand FD CRDi? :winker:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Why not go retro and have a little fun with a very affordable second-hand FD CRDi? :winker:

That's cruel.  :spitty:
                                   :snigger: :snigger: :snigger:
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 08:19:41 by nzenigma »

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal