i30 Owners Club

Fuel Consumption - 2013 CRDi GD 5 Door Tourer, Diesel 1.6lt, Auto

Heady · 8 · 3014

Offline Heady

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Berkshire
For those that were wondering what typical commuting fuel consumption for a 2013 CRDi GD 5 Door Tourer, Diesel 1.6lt, Auto, looks like.

What I've found:
  • Standard ECU config = 44.15mpg
  • RaceChip config #1   = 44.20mpg
  • RaceChip config #2   = 43.11mpg

Observations:
  • Don't rely on the dash "mileage remaining" figure... it can be out by +-30miles!
  • The dash consumption value is also all over the place... it can be out by +-5mpg!

I'll contact RaceChip and ask for another config to try to improve the consumption and will keep the table updated.

(I think I've got the 110PS engine version - will double check later and update this)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 05:51:54 by Heady »
  • 2013 CRDi GD 5 Door Tourer, Diesel 1.6lt, Auto

Offline cleid

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Thanks. These numbers are quite different from mine but no doubt the driving will be very different too. Here's a "translation" for the metrically minded:

- standard: 6.4 L/100km
- Race Chip #1: 6.39 L/100km
- Race Chip #2: 6.55 L/100km

Is this the 90PS, 110PS, or 128ps 1.6 CRDi?
  • 2013 i30 Tourer 1.6 CRDi 128PS (6spd auto)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Observations:
  • Don't rely on the dash "mileage remaining" figure... it can be out by +-30miles!
  • The dash consumption value is also all over the place... it can be out by +-5mpg!

Also (if the other FD & GD models are anything to go by), the odometer under reads by around 2% which is obviously gonna throw things out too...  :undecided:

Offline Heady

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Berkshire
Also (if the other FD & GD models are anything to go by), the odometer under reads by around 2% which is obviously gonna throw things out too...  :undecided:
I have that data... I could add a "corrected for GPS mileage" column in the spreadsheet?

Offline Heady

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Berkshire
Is this the 90PS, 110PS, or 128ps 1.6 CRDi?
I think I've got the 110PS engine version.  I will check and if not - I will update the original post.

Offline Heady

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Berkshire
Thanks. These numbers are quite different from mine but no doubt the driving will be very different too.
Given the amount of traffic - I suspect that Sydney wouldn't be that different to the M4 junctions I have to traverse...
By how much are the numbers different?

I'm wanting to start a thread on driving style as I've observed different behavior of the Auto gearbox gear selection & engine revs depending on how I drive. 
i.e. If I follow the standard wisdom for economic driving of getting to the desired cruising speed quickly and then maintain cruising speed - the cruising revs will be higher than if I slowly accelerate to cruising speed using a feather foot.

Here's a "translation" for the metrically minded
Thanks - although, I'm metrically minded as I'm just a displaced fellow countryman.  Thats why I have the metric column to compare with my family in OZ.

Offline cleid

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Given the amount of traffic - I suspect that Sydney wouldn't be that different to the M4 junctions I have to traverse...
By how much are the numbers different?

My typical drive is short, running errands and what not around town. Most trips under 10km, with <3km typical. Consumption is 7.3-8.5 L/100 depending on whether any longer drives are involved. Last time I fuelled was on 7 August so that hasn't happened in a while. :)

When I do venture outside Sydney then I will average a more reasonable 6.4 L/100 combined, with the best so far being 5.1 L/100 on a Jindabyne to Sydney run.

Thanks - although, I'm metrically minded as I'm just a displaced fellow countryman.  Thats why I have the metric column to compare with my family in OZ.

Oops, I missed those columns as I was reading on the phone.
  • 2013 i30 Tourer 1.6 CRDi 128PS (6spd auto)

Offline Heady

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Berkshire
I've had a conversation with RaceChip and received the following info:

Switch "S1" is regulating the performance increase. On our default setting you have an increase of about 15%. Every further step with dial S1 is another increase of about 1.5%.

Dial "S2" regulates the RPM range in which the RaceChip is active and also when it is being deactivated again. On our default setting it is active between 1500- 3000 RPM. Every additional dial change with S2 increases the active range by about 150 RPM.

The default setting is this one, which was first in the RaceChip (can also find it on the invoice) so in your case it is "1" . Every additional dial change with S2 increases the active range by about 150 RPM. Activity start remains the same and can't get influences by any dial.

Fuel consumption gets first reduced when torque is increased very certainly. So you need to feel the torque increase across a longer rpm area in order to have a fuel consumption.

Therefore try now setting D/3.

Apparently "Default" config for the i30 2013 CRDi GD 5 Door Tourer, Diesel 1.6lt, Auto is S1:B,S2:1

I'll change the config to S1:D,S2:3 and test it over the next few months and report back.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal