i30 Owners Club

Hyundai i30 1.6 CRDi, 2013 Clutch problem?

supaFlaj · 24 · 10616

Offline supaFlaj

• 2nd Gear

• si Slovenia
Hello,

Several times happened to me the following:

Freeway speed of 120 km/h, about 2600 rev/min - 6th gear. When overtaking pedal to the floor (second level of the pedal which is also responsible to tuRN off the cruise control) and instead RPM's slowly grow in line with the speed of a car, RPM's jump to 4000+ rev / min. The speed of the car is slowly increasing, but the machine works at high RPM's. Today, however, after this incident also appeared smell from the engine compartment. Most likely, this is clutch. What do you think? The car is 3 years old and traveled 115000 km of motorway.

I ask for any advice or comment.

Thank you!
  • Hyundai i30 1.6 CRDi '13 Travel Edition

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
It does sound like you have a worn out clutch and it is slipping.
Get your mechanic to drive it and confirm. Will probably need to be replaced.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline supaFlaj

• 2nd Gear

• si Slovenia
Mechanic said it could be oil seal leaking in the clutch department. But they haven't yet decide if this was a warranty repair, because it could also be a worn out clutch (which I doubt).

Offline supaFlaj

• 2nd Gear

• si Slovenia
One more thing as I was searching this forum:

This happens only when I press pedal to activate Kickdown Mechanism:

:link: 'Kickdown' feel to pedal in Manual i30

I do not own automatic gearbox, but it sounds like it is trying to revup to change to a lower gear.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Sound like oil on the clutch. Unfortunately it's not possible to know for sure before gearbox is removed.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hello,

Today, however, after this incident also appeared smell from the engine compartment. Most likely, this is clutch. What do you think? The car is 3 years old and traveled 115000 km of motorway.
It does sound like your clutch is slipping due to wear or oil contamination.
 Good driving habits should see the clutch last far longer than 115K. So assuming you are used to a manual car, I would guess that it is a faulty oil seal.
A worn clutch smells like overheated brakes, for example when you follow a truck down a hill or when your wife drives home from the shops with the handbrake engaged.  :twisted:
 If it is an oil leak the burning smell will, largely, seem oily ( obviously :head_knock: )
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 21:16:37 by nzenigma »
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline supaFlaj

• 2nd Gear

• si Slovenia
Yes I am from Europe, so, manual gears is our thing :)

Could there also be some malfunction in the kickdown mechanism switch? Anyone?

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hard to say from afar, but could be.
  Quick answer and not a problem I have confronted on the i30, but for obvious reasons the kick down should be disabled at high speed.
A slipping clutch will have a different affect to kicking down to a lower gear.
What happens if , when the engine revs to 4000 , you drop your speed down to about 80km ?  Does the car / clutch then return to normal? If so, the clutch is probably ok.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
A "kickdown" function is not possible in a manual trans. It is a physical link between engine and gearbox so any change in RPM must be accompanied by a change in vehicle speed.
An auto kickback is obviously controlled by PCM and will shift gears and create slip in the tourque convertor to put RPM in ideal range. In a manual YOU are the kickdown.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I think by 'kickdown switch' supaFlaj might mean the detent at the base of the fast pedal (ie, the one that defeats the speed limiter), maybe?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
The kickdown thing had me confused for a while, and I easily get confused these days, I mean more confused <sigh> 

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
A "kickdown" function is not possible in a manual trans. It is a physical link between engine and gearbox so any change in RPM must be accompanied by a change in vehicle speed.
An auto kickback is obviously controlled by PCM and will shift gears and create slip in the tourque convertor to put RPM in ideal range. In a manual YOU are the kickdown.

:rofl: :rofl: :faint: Yes Mate, no kick down; I'm embarrassed,  kicking myself for the dumb reply. Posted my reply on the hop (6am - 5pm in 36 degrees ) without re-reading the whole thread AND THINKING.

The slipping clutch should be most noticeable when moving off rather than at speed. The highway scenario described is that of a very worn, oily clutch or similar. Test it by stressing it. Attempt to initially drive in 2nd or 3rd gear. A good clutch will cause the car to shudder and stall, if it is faulty the engine revs will build up but the car will barely move. And it will stink.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 20:38:20 by nzenigma »

Offline supaFlaj

• 2nd Gear

• si Slovenia
Shambles: yes I meant that detent in the gas pedal which also ha a function to turn off speed limiter.

It is not happening everyday, but when it does usually the car is very warm. It does not happen in any other gears, except in 6th in higher speeds. Sometimes the rev counter will jump from 2500  to  3500+, sometimes only 300 revs up. And when this happens the machine gets louder than it should. The speed of the car increases normally when this happens. I will have it taken appart (transmittion and a clutch) in december, but firstly I need to negotiate the warranty with the manufacturer :(

Offline supaFlaj

• 2nd Gear

• si Slovenia

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
A little worrying...  I have a similar problem just after start up from cold as I manoeuvre out of the garage.  However I am confident that in my case it is the auto choke having a izzy fit and it soon settles down.

good luck  :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline supaFlaj

• 2nd Gear

• si Slovenia
Next monday I am taking it for a repair, they will replace oil seal in the clutch department and replace the clutch plate. They say it will be repaired under warranty. Wish me luck  :sweating:

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Good to hear.  :happydance:

Of course they should replace the clutch under warranty, as the clutch is collateral damage, hence covered by the 5 year warranty. The reduced cover on the clutch parts can only be interesting when the clutch parts are the culprit.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :whsaid: :Good_luck:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline supaFlaj

• 2nd Gear

• si Slovenia
Left her yesterday in the mercy of the repair men. Hopefully today I get her back, because I cant't stand the replacement car that they gave me: Fiat Panda :D

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Left her yesterday in the mercy of the repair men. Hopefully today I get her back, because I cant't stand the replacement car that they gave me: Fiat Panda :D
Probably the same as the SEAT Panda, in which case I understand. :lol:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline supaFlaj

• 2nd Gear

• si Slovenia
 :crazy1: I didn't even know, that they were making them under the manufacturer name SEAT  :rofl: SEAT is in Europe a car maker owned by Volkswagen. But don't worry, it is 2016 Panda ;)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 11:33:28 by supaFlaj »

Offline supaFlaj

• 2nd Gear

• si Slovenia
Got my i30 back yesterday, they replaced transmision oil seal and the clutch. Clutch was covered in oil thus resulting in slipping when higher revs and hot machine. All replaced under Warranty.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 07:43:25 by supaFlaj »

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Got my i30 back yesterday, they replaced transmision oil seal and the clutch. Clutch was covered in oil thus resulting in slipping when higher revs and hot machine. All replaced under Warranty.

Good result  :mrgreen:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Ditto  :goodjob2:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal