i30 Owners Club

FD Diesel cuts out - funny business

tw2005 · 7 · 2662

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
This is not about my vehicle but my Dad's which he purchased brand new, has had every service done by the dealer since day dot.

Now I don't know the exact timeline but It's been going on for a few years now.

Initially they told heim he had contaminated fuel, so they did whatever they do for that.

Then it happened again and I think they headed for filters, then it was suggested a diesel additive for diesel bug, still he has the issue every now and then.

Then They said they found air streams in the delivery and narrowed down to the filter assembly, that was some time in 2015.

Just 2 weeks ago it went in same issue. So all this has been covered by some Harrier extended Wty which the ol man knows little about.

This time they diagnose fuel pump, again Harrier to the rescue.

So , I'm curious about the paperwork and what on earth they'd charge for this fuel pump. I'm expecting $1000+

Here's the kicker, on the front page , sure enough it clearly states  fault diagnosed as fuel pump.

Also clearly states removed and replaced fuel pump.

No problem there, turn page and I think total cost roughly $700. Now I thinks, that's not too bad for dealer fitted OEM part or is it?

Closer look reveals Fuel Filter Assembly charged out +labour.  This is the same part previously replaced a year ago.

Ok, must be a typo, why would you replace the same part again.

So, lift hood of pops i30 for a quick gander at the pump, Hmmm, build date 27 Oct 2008!, This is a Nov 2008 build car complianced 2009.

Nup, no new pump fitted.

So at this point I'm thinking a bit of fraud could be going on. Back in the 90's I caught a dealer out several times chrging for parts and services not provided, thankfully they fell on their sword and went bust.

This is one of the , if not largest Hyundai Dealerships too in SE QLD.

The old man is feeling pretty happy about a new pump, woo hoo  :yahoo:

Of course I tell him but he wants nothing to do with asking the dealer WTF is going on.

I can't tell if the filter assembly was replaced instead of the pump as it was already done 12 months ago and would still look new under the hood anyway, short of pulling it out and checking manufacture dates.

It would not surprise me if a claim is under a certain amount no substantiation is required but if I'd paid for a part to be replaced for a fault and 12months later same fault and same part replced with a mismatch in the paperwork , that would be an alarm bell for me.

Of course I could be talking  :utterrubbish:

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Sorry to hear your Dad has had a fair bit of trouble with his i30...

The repairs certainly sound suspect! From around 40 years in Banking and retail I know there are plenty of dodgy people around (worked with a few!)  :disapp:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
IIRC, there has been discussion about fuel starvation by using the wrong diesel filter for the engine. could that be a possibility  :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
IIRC, there has been discussion about fuel starvation by using the wrong diesel filter for the engine. could that be a possibility  :question:

I'm thinking unlikley. I've driven this and it happens usually with no warning as you come up to stop. Only ever serviced ny Hyundai and genuine filters.

I think he's unlucky given how it's treated and serviced.

Touch wood, both of mine have over 170 000k and not a sniff of any fuelling issues

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Had similar with Cyril when we had him,started off as stalling when coming to a stop,eventually it got that bad,Hyundai couldn't find the issue,gave me the run around,eventually I found the issue,perished intercooler hoses,once they were replaced never had the issue again,not saying this is your pop problem but worth having a gander at,but the hoses do need to be removed to get a good close inspection.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Had similar with Cyril when we had him,started off as stalling when coming to a stop,eventually it got that bad,Hyundai couldn't find the issue,gave me the run around,eventually I found the issue,perished intercooler hoses,once they were replaced never had the issue again,not saying this is your pop problem but worth having a gander at,but the hoses do need to be removed to get a good close inspection.
Sounds like there a long list of possibles. So how how do the intercooler hoses come into play? Unmetered air? This is my first diesel and Turbo'd car so can we expand on this one please.

Oh, and age  / or mileage of the vehicle too.

thanks

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Car was less than 18 months old,less than 50,000k's,mine was the top hose,the perished part of the hose was underneath near the hose clamp,hyundai replaced it,but no reason was given why this would have perished in such a short time,only reason I found my issue was the stalling got quite frequent eventually just before I found the problem when I opened the bonnet with the motor running I could here a slight sucking sound
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal