What an ordeal! I got in
after approx 7 hours of trying. I have documented the lunacy for your amusement:
I had to wedge open the door with some wooden blocks and use a screwdriver to pry open the weatherproofing rubber to fit the coathanger through into the car.
I made a hook at the end of the coathanger to grab onto the door lock. I had to sharpen the end of the hook to make it dig into the lock and hold on, otherwise it just slips off. You need to come in at an angle so you can pull the lock back towards you.
Once you've got the coathanger hook on the door lock, you need to make sure you get the 'lip' of the lock and pull from there. This will take patience, believe me. I was doing this for 7 hours. The reason I persisted was because NRMA quoted me $397 and my insurer said $800 to unlock the car for me.
I finally pulled the lock far enough open that the door was unlocked and I got in. I managed to find my broken key inside the car and I could start the car so long as the blade was in the ignition, turned with pliers and the rest of the key was right next to the ignition.
Yep, I absolutely demolished my weatherproofing rubber doing this - but I'm happy to pay to replace and install it myself.