i30 Owners Club

Turbo starts spooling up at different rpm's

Offline rcflyers

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
I have noticed lately that on my 2009 1.6 CRDi 116hp hatchback that instead of the turbo spooling up from about 1500rpm like it normally does it doesn't start spooling up until between 2200 and 2500 rpm.
This makes the car feel a bit lethargic.
It seems to do it more when the engine is cold and less so when it has warmed up.
Sometimes it's fine, other times it's not.
It's as if the variable vane actuator isn't always working.
Any ideas please?
  • Getz i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Sounds like the vanes might be "glugged up" with burnt oil or something?

If that is the case not sure if that can be reversed with a fuel treatment or anything (unlikely I suspect)  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Well the 1.6 CRDi use a variable , vien type turbo that the vien blades that move to increase low rev boost is controlled by vacuum, but also needs to be clean and free to move.
if you drive slow a lot the carbon could build up stop vien blades moving.
but i think more likely the rubber vacuum hose has a hole in it. if you know how to find it ( at back of motor, you could check it or buy new one replace the vacuum hose to turbo.

Offline rcflyers

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
Ok, thanks,
I was wondering if these was a way to see if the variable actuator was working while i was driving so I could try to pinpoint the fault.
If the actuator wasn't moving I guess it could be down to an intermittently working actuator, split vacuum pipe, poor electrical connection etc.
If the actuator was trying to move then it could be gummed up vanes as you said Dazzler.
I do tend to drive carefully and rarely go above 2500rpm on my 15 minute journey to work.
  • Getz i30

Offline rcflyers

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
Well the 1.6 CRDi use a variable , vien type turbo that the vien blades that move to increase low rev boost is controlled by vacuum, but also needs to be clean and free to move.
if you drive slow a lot the carbon could build up stop vien blades moving.
but i think more likely the rubber vacuum hose has a hole in it. if you know how to find it ( at back of motor, you could check it or buy new one replace the vacuum hose to turbo.
Thanks,  I will have a look at the hose tomorrow.
  • Getz i30

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
back in 2008, we had a member that would go to great lengths to see if he could increase the distance on one tank of fuel. he disconnected the vacuum hose to stop the primary cavitation blades in tubo moving. he said it felt gutless no power at lower rev like before, but said his economy improved. but should not run motor too long with the vacuum disconnected or it will carbon up

Offline rcflyers

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
back in 2008, we had a member that would go to great lengths to see if he could increase the distance on one tank of fuel. he disconnected the vacuum hose to stop the primary cavitation blades in tubo moving. he said it felt gutless no power at lower rev like before, but said his economy improved. but should not run motor too long with the vacuum disconnected or it will carbon up
I have driven a short distance with the vacuum hose disconnected and it was very sluggish at low revs, took ages to spool up but it did eventually give turbo boost higher up in the rev range.
  • Getz i30

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Lakes is on the money (split hose) and he gives good advice on carbon build up.

Also follow the vacuum line down to the small solenoid on the front of the motor. Make sure both vacuum and electrical connections are sound.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline rcflyers

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
Just checked the actuator and I tried moving the linkage but it barely moves and feels squeaky.  I applied vacuum to the actuator and it would not move.  The engine is cold.
I will try again when the engine is warm and see if the linkage frees up.
I am guessing that it is gummed up and the heat will soften it.
  • Getz i30

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Few years back I tested my actuator and it moved easily even with a cold engine (and my car worked normally).
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline rcflyers

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
As I suspected, I went for a 30 minute fairly brisk drive, when I returned I applied vacuum to the actuator and it moved the linkage no problem.
I just need to see if it gums up again when it is cold.
If so, is there any product I can use to degum it?
I don't fancy taking the turbo off again - took ages last time!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 18:17:50 by rcflyers »
  • Getz i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Winns also have an aerosol with a foam cleaner.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline rcflyers

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
Thanks for the suggestions but I don't think I will need any products.
I just went out and could move the actuator linkage with the engine cold so it would appear that yesterdays "Italian Tune Up" did the trick.
  • Getz i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:victory: :happydance:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal